PBEM Mod: Info Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM Mod: Info Thread

This is the PBEM Mod Info Thread. It contains info on the purpose and theory of the PBEM mod, how we are going to go about creating the PBEM mod, how to make suggestions for new elements, how to become a Panel member, and other related info on the PBEM mod. Please restrict posting in this thread unless you are a Panel member, but feel free to PM any of the Panel members if you have any questions!

Current Panel Members:
    Snoopy369
    Rommel2d
    Punkbass2000
    (open)
    (open)
    <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
    I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

PBEM Mod Theory

The theory behind the PBEM Mod is that we PBEM folk(and Multiplayer are also invited to join, as they are affected by similar problems) are ... constrained, by several weaknesses in Civ3 and C3C, that hurt gameplay for everyone, or for some people unevenly. We wish to change these elements of the game, within the scope of possibility, to make for a more fun game for all.

The PBEM Mod philosophy is, "If It's not Broke, Don't Fix It, But If It's Broke, Repair It". We don't intend, in the main version of the mod, to make changes simply to add "fun" elements to the game (like more units, except when necessary to balance the game; or changes to units to make them more interesting, but not helping game balance). We are here to fix problems with the game. This is not to say that we could not correct weaknesses, such as giving additional strength or abilities to "underused" units, but the intent must always be balance. We expect that one or more "fun" versions of our mod might be created, either by Panel members or by anyone interested, to add "fun" elements to the game - but it's not the intent of this Panel.

We also aim for the simplest fixes available; we prefer, for example, to make changes involving one or a small number of units or techs, rather than changes to all or a large group of units or techs. If two solutions are available, one being simple and one very complex, we would prefer the simple solution, even if the complex one is more effective at fixing the problem. Changes that are large in scope or complex will not be enjoyed by players who have to play both stock and modded games. This means both limiting the scope of changes, and limiting the number of changes - the mod should be have a fast learning curve, and be playable out of the box so to speak without 'practice', as PBEMs are not easily practiced.

Furthermore, changes that require a download for all players involved - such as graphical changes - should not be made. 'Pedia changes are fine, as they go with the save, but changes to unit graphics or sounds do not fall within the realm of "fixing problems" but rather "enhancing gameplay" - a great idea, perhaps, but not the point of this mod.
    Last edited by snoopy369; December 18, 2004, 15:03.

Comment

The Creation of the PBEM Mod

We are going to create this mod by a process similar to the AU Mod process. We will have 5 or 7 Panel members, who hold the ultimate Votes on each matter. This does not mean that non-Panel members do not have a say - we expect all PBEMers interested to take part in the debate, and I for one am quite easily convinced by well thought out arguments with good basis. The Panel will occasionally consider the addition of new members, if such new members present themselves to the Panel; and if a member of the Panel is unable to fulfill his (or her) duties for a period of time, a temporary or permanent replacement will be found from the group of active members.

The process of making a change in the PBEM Mod, or "How a Bill Becomes Mod":

1. A suggestion is made in the Suggestion Thread. This can be made by anyone, Panel member or not. That suggestion is debated in the Suggestion thread, until a Panel Member sees it and decides it is worthy of a Thread of Its Own. The Panel Member does not have to agree with the change - simply acknowledge that it is worthy of consideration, based on the debate.

2. The Panel Member creates a thread for the Proposal, and the Public debates the suggestion. This step may take weeks, months, or longer, depending on the proposal. The Panel Member should state at the beginning how long they intend the proposal to be "open for debate", but it is not binding - debate should continue as long as the Panel Members feel it is useful.

3. At the decision of the Panel to Close a Matter for Debate - requiring a 51% majority of the Panel - the Panel moves into "closed quarters", or PMs/emails. They make final "points" to each other if they feel there is a Panel Member that still needs convincing for or against. Then, the Panel Members individually announce their opinions on the matter in the thread.

4. If a 2/3 majority is reached, then the Proposal instantly becomes part of The PBEM Mod. The holder of the PBEM Mod Source File (Myself, at the time of writing this) makes the necessary changes, a few "test runs" are made if possible to ensure it is made properly, and the change becomes Mod. The thread is closed by a Moderator, and we move on with our discussions.

5. If a 51% majority is reached, but NOT a 2/3 majority, then the change enters a "trial period". It is returned to the thread for continued debate, but also entered into the Mod. At any point, the debate may be again closed, and the Panel may again vote, trying to reach a 2/3 majority, at which point #4 happens. If a 2/3 majority is never reached, then the trial period lasts for 6 months, after which it is for the Panel to reconsider, not whether they personally agree with the Mod, but if the sense of the players at large would want it kept or removed; by default, it is kept.

6. If less than half of the Panel support a Proposal, then it is failed, and the authors of the Proposal are allowed to modify that proposal and resubmit it in the main Suggestion thread - but the Thread for the Proposal is closed.

Please feel free to comment on these in the main thread (the one with the poll that you signed up in)...
      Last edited by snoopy369; December 18, 2004, 11:21.

Comment

How to Join the Panel

Panel members must meet the following requirements:
        1. Must be veterans of PBEM and/or MP Civ
        2. Must be familiar with C3C
        3. Must be willing to post on each suggestion, even if they do not support it or dislike it
        4. Must have an open mind and be willing to support changes for the betterment of the game
        5. Must be willing to be civil in all discussions with other players, Panel members or not - remember you are representing the whole Mod Squad when you post.

These represent both the requirements for becoming a Panel Member and the requirements for STAYING a Panel member.

To Join the Panel:
        1. You don't apply to join the Panel, the Panel picks you. Applications are NEVER taken, unless specifically requested. Mod Squad members (the Panel) will ask you if you are interested in applying to join the Panel.
        2. You will have a Sponsor - usually the person who asked you if you want to apply to join. That person will ask you to write a short message explaining why you meet the above requirements and why you would be an asset to the Panel.
        3. The current Panel members will discuss your nomination (and any others at the same time).
        4. Once discussion is ceased, if only 1 person is nominated for 1 position (or the number of positions = the number of nominated people), the Panel members will vote, and a 2/3 majority is required to approve your application.
        5. If more people are nominated than there are positions, they first must vote by ranks, to rank the order of consideration. Then, a vote similar to #4 is undertaken on each person, in order of ranks - the highest ranked first, to the lowest, until the position(s) are filled.
        6. Applicants who are not voted in are told so in polite terms, and are let know that they should continue to strive to improve the Mod in their own way, and they will be considered next time we have an opening.

[b]So how can I put myself in a position to be nominated?[b]
        You can do so by being very active in the debates and discussions, by playing PBEMs, and by generally interacting with the Mod Squad. Activity in debates is the single largest factor, however; someone who is very active in the debates is much more likely to be nominated than someone who occasionally participates. Furthermore, constructive activity in the debates is crucial - well thought-out suggestions, constructive criticism, and a polite tone to posts are all important elements of a Constructive Poster.
        Last edited by snoopy369; December 18, 2004, 11:39.

Comment

holder 4

Comment

One thing I think we should consider adding to our philosophy another of AU's maxims, which is to make it so that downloading the mod is not necessary to play it. This would be particularly useful for a PBEM mod, as it would only require the game starter to have the download. The implications of this are that new unit graphics, etc., cannot be used. Thoughts?
            "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
            -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
              One thing I think we should consider adding to our philosophy another of AU's maxims, which is to make it so that downloading the mod is not necessary to play it. This would be particularly useful for a PBEM mod, as it would only require the game starter to have the download. The implications of this are that new unit graphics, etc., cannot be used. Thoughts?
              To me, that goes without saying. The intent of this mod is to fix problems, not to enhance the game graphically.

Comment

Originally posted by punkbass2000
                Agreed.

We should also have a document [thread] that lists the changes we make, with links to the discussion. No wait, I ripped of the AU Mod again..
                The Best Multiplayer Game Ever

Comment

Of course.

Comment

I would propose that rather than empahsizing that a solution should not be complex, the mod itself should not be complex. Whereas an AU game is played many turns at one sitting, it is relatively easy to keep in mind what the contents of the mod are, even though there are dozens of changes. A PBEM game, however, is played one or two turns a day, with other games being played in between those turns.

I would like a mod that minimized the disadvantage of being less familliar with it. Having few changes- only those that have a strongly reasoned imparative behind them- would allow new players to learn quick and the experienced to make an easy transition from their other games. The severity or complexity of any single change wouldn't be a negative (although I don't mean to encourage this for it's own sake).
                    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

I completely agree with Rommel. Less is more.
                      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Originally posted by Rommel2D
                        I would propose that rather than empahsizing that a solution should not be complex, the mod itself should not be complex. Whereas an AU game is played many turns at one sitting, it is relatively easy to keep in mind what the contents of the mod are, even though there are dozens of changes. A PBEM game, however, is played one or two turns a day, with other games being played in between those turns.

I would like a mod that minimized the disadvantage of being less familliar with it. Having few changes- only those that have a strongly reasoned imparative behind them- would allow new players to learn quick and the experienced to make an easy transition from their other games. The severity or complexity of any single change wouldn't be a negative (although I don't mean to encourage this for it's own sake).
                        Absolutely - that was more what I intended ...

Changes that are large in scope or complex will not be enjoyed by players who have to play both stock and modded games
                        ... by this

Comment

As a point of distinction, I was thinking of the HP change suggestions recently discussed in the AU. They were large in scope and complex, but I would give any of them consideration equal to a single tech- or unit- modification. A large, complex change would be easy enough to remember if it were one of only a handfull.
                          Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Hmm. Maybe - and i'm not familiar with the changes you describe, although I can guess as to them - but if i'm right as to my guess, i'd think they are more complex to me; a single unit change you can describe in one line and understand it, while HP changes unit-by-unit would take a lot more remembering and reading

But I get your point, yes.

Comment

Working...
                            X