AU Mod - Maybe for MP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU Mod - Maybe for MP?

We have spent a lot of time and effort developing the AU Mod, which is meant to improve the performance of the AI civs, create additional challenge for more advanced players, and fix a number of general shortcomings, while maintaining the 'flavor' and recognizability of stock Civ3/C3C (alexman, btw, gets primary credit for it, although a great number of worthies have contributed).

I was wondering... would people be interested in modifying the mod for an MP version? What would be examples of some of the main things that need to be addressed in shifting focus from SP to MP?

I also posted this at the C3P Ladder site... it occurs to me, are there differences for PBEM, which seems pretty popular here, and the various other game types they play there?
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

I would be interested in seeing it.

Some of the primary differences would be that none of the things that made the AI play better would be unnecessary for most PBEMs. There are a few that involve AI civs, but the vast majority of PBEMs seem to be in the 5-8 player range. The other parts of the AU mod though (creating more challenge and fixing shortcomings) would be fun to see.

I can't really speak on the differences between MP and PBEM since I've never actually played an MP game, but I would guess there is more of an urgency of play for MP.

Comment

The subject has been brought up a few times before. I haven't seen many suggestions on what should be changed in the mod yet...

Simultaneous MP is indeed a different animal than PBEM. From what I've read in the past from the better players, MP strategy is pretty set along the lines of producing large quantities of ancient era units, while PBEM games tend to focus on 'Middle Age' warfare. Maybe MP has evolved alot in the last year and a half, though...
      Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Working...
      X