vet sword vs. vet spear, loses, 3HP damage, port spear promotes
    vet sword vs. vet (2HP) spear, wins, no HP loss
    vet NM vs. reg warrior, wins, 1HP loss
    ==> haunted manor liberated, other portuguese commit mass suicide
    Attached Files
    - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
    - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

• portugal was a close one. i was thinking of turning around a ship but in the end i didn't have a single unit to spare! hiu: *wipesoffcoldsweat*

and as a result of this all:
      Attached Files

Comment

• america too was close, but i had a bunch of units that would have been available next turn and the existing ones could withdraw and recover...

here the scores (i had 260 before the victory)... elimination scores should be counted different
        Attached Files

Comment

• sabrewolf the magnificent!
          Attached Files

Comment

• some funny quotes...
            Attached Files

Comment

• mao always had a big mouth
              Attached Files

Comment

• and some final words from lincoln

(i wonder if he said that before his head was blown away in the theatre )
                Attached Files

Comment

• aftermath

well, being carthagian was obviously the best that could have happened in an elimination game (except maybe the greeks).

at first i was worried, because i was stuck in the middle with 3-way borders. and my starting location wasn't great. no food bonus and no luxury. fortunatly in AP, it's not that decicive
                  so i built NMs like mad. having an average of 3 per city or so. and i rushed barracks everywhere before that...

when i finally got the iron connected (paddy, why didn't you grab one of them?), i added swordsmen to my collection.

while researching monarchy (i thought the game would go on for longer), i saw rommel sending out a settler with a lone spearman. just 2 movement tiles away from my 2nd city... i warned him not to place it too near to my borders (not for my sake, but for his) and he did move it slightly... 2 tiles further away. at least it was connected to the road this time.

when i had enough forces, i assaulted the chinese city. blocking the way for reinforcements with my elite NM and sending in only a light force to attack (in case of failure, several more units would have been sent in after).
                  in the end, 1 unit was enough, as i didn't attack the outside city, but one further in...

Comment

• so my golden age was triggered. so no interest of wasting a part of it in anarchy.

so i prepared ****loads (uh... shiploads) of NMs and swordsmen to attack a portuguese city (conqueror had placed watchpost-units, so the sea would give me the best surprise effect and as i saw only undefended cities while passing with my curragh earlier on, i didn't expect too many units prepared.

7 units were all i sent... 4 NMs and 3 swords. NMs defending the paths (didn't expect a warrior to kill one of them either) and swordsmen to engage (they didn't prove to be very efficient either).

meanwhile, i had the choice of attacking america from various positions and i chose the "back" side. first, i intended a horseman rush (roads were built in time), but when i realized that portugal was close to the medieval ages (and thereby feudalism), it wanted to launch earlier.

6 more turns and the victory would have been more comfortable (>10 units more to my disposal), but i still decided to go forth.

in this game, i finally learnt how to poprush efficiently. in AP, you can rush a lot! barracks (1pop) and libraries (2x1pop) were quickly built. they were dead unhappy, but at size 1 it didn't matter and by feeding workers, i could grow the city without extra food.

if you guys want, i can load up some old saves and make an AAR...

thanks to all of you for an interesting game!

Comment

• no, thank you for eliminating me

when i noticed i had no strategic resource (horse, iron) anywhere near me, and only 1 lux easily connected, i pretty much played the game being very bored.

was finally able to build a very distant city on top of unclaimed iron (40+ tiles or so from capital), planning to rush harbor there, but, few turns too late

did spent too much resources on research (was some turns into the MA) and workers building roads for research purposes (had 10+ workers).

nicely played anyway, sabre, i like to perform such galley landings myself. this time it was me on the victims part
                      Last edited by Conqueror; August 18, 2004, 15:41.

Comment

• Originally posted by sabrewolf
                        america too was close, but i had a bunch of units that would have been available next turn and the existing ones could withdraw and recover...

here the scores (i had 260 before the victory)... elimination scores should be counted different
                        is that right old chap
                        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                        I am of the Horde.

Comment

sabrewolf the magnificent!

right you are old chap

I am of the Horde.

Comment

and some final words from lincoln

(i wonder if he said that before his head was blown away in the theatre )

Grrrr cheeky bugger
                            I am of the Horde.

Comment

• Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
                              Grrrr cheeky bugger
                              just joking

conqueror:

i thought that distant city was a hut-popped city... if i had sent my force down there, your only chance would have been to attack my heartland, because you couldn't rush enough units to defend down there

paddy:

the pyramids surely were a nice attribute, but why didn't you try to get the statue of zeus? although in AP it's not as powerful, 5 of those free +1HP gallic swordsmen could have taken out any of my cities in a surprise attack. and with 2MP, portugal would have been in trouble shortly after that

Comment

• if only you knew...

sitting there in the crossroads

well done young fella

bloody good job and all that
                                I am of the Horde.

Comment

Working...
                                X