This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The PBEM Info Thread

This is the Apolyton PBEM Forum Information thread.

It contains:

1. Recommended PBEM Guidelines and Etiquette
    2. Exploit List
    3. Information on Dual Installs
    4. Other relevant strategy and civ3 general threads
    5. Just in case
    6. Just in case II

Please add commentary and input below, and I can update this thread.
    Last edited by Beta; April 13, 2004, 20:02.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

1. Recommended PBEM Guidelines and Etiquette

Dominae's post:

(I think this represents a good initial set of guiedlines or principles. As Dom says, some of them are up for discussion - ie combat reporting.

What I also think is required is an etiqutte list - sstuff regarding timely play, absence notification, stand-ins, and the like)

Hi all.

Do you like to play PBEM? Do you prefer it when you and your opponents are "on the same page" with respect to what's "okay" and what's "not okay" when playing head to head versus other humans? If your answer is "yes" to both these questions, read on!

The purpose of this thread is to lay down a semi-standard set of guidelines for PBEM players to follow. The goal is to end confusion and resentment in PBEM games where each player may come to the table with different views as to what constitutes "fair play".

Here I will only be referring to PBEM games where all your opponents are human. A mixed game (AI and human opponents) opens up a whole other can of worms which I'm not going to go into here.

Please not that these are my suggestions only; call it "Dominae's Etiquette", if you will! However, I think that many of you will have no problem adhering to the guidelines below.

This brings me to my first guideline, the "Golden Rule" of PBEM play (of all multiplayer gameplay, if you ask me):

The Golden Rule

You will play to have fun, with knowledge that your opponents are doing the same. You will therefore play a "clean" game, one in which you and your opponents agree prior to starting what is permissible and what is not. If ever a gameplay situation arises which potentially be controversial in this regard, you will halt the game and inform your opponent of it immediately. You will respect your opponent's point of view, and try to work out a solution, or (failing that) simply leave the game.

The remainder of this post lists several points which are "controversial", and a recommended etiquette for ending this controversy. The next post will list several game "exploits", and it is up to you and your opponents to determine which of these are allowed in your game.

1. Playing to win.

You will begin each game with the intention and desire to win. You will therefore not put all your resources into "hating" one player out of the game (out of some grudge) if this is not conducive to your victory. You will similarly not "throw" the game by becoming someone's vassal, unless you are clearly beaten or this is somehow part of a larger plan to secure victory.

In short, you will be predictable in your ultimate goal of seeing the victory popup.

2. Pre-game "baggage".

You will begin each game on a clean slate with respect to the other players, that is, without any preconceived alliances or grudges (unless, of course, you specify these in the game set up). This obviously ties in with #1 above.

In short, you will not make diplomatic decisions until you meet the other players in-game.

3. Honoring agreements.

You will honor or break agreements as you see fit. You will, however, accept the fact that this may hurt your reputation in future relations (either in the same game or subsequent ones). Note that this is not contradictory to #2: a player's reputation cannot be forgotten, but acting on it before the game begins is improper. For instance, if Player A broke a Non-Aggression Pact with you in the past, you are entitled not to trust him, but you should not make a point to gang up on him with Player B in any future game.

In short, you will be dishonorable when need be, and accept that others will do the same.

4. Renaming units and cities.

You will not name units or cities with the sole aim of misinforming your opponents.

With respect to units, you will: 1) use a unit's old name in full when creating a new name, and 2) not couple a unit's old name with another unit's name. For an example of the first point, 'Warrior' can be changed to 'SuperWarrior' or 'Grog the Warrior', but not just 'Grog'. As an example of the second point, 'Settler' can be renamed to 'New York Settler', but not 'WorkerOrSettler'. The idea here is to be able to tell what type a unit is at a glance when right-clikcing on a stack.

With respect to cities, you will not rename cities to names that mimick items that could be offered in trades. For instance, a city cannot be renamed to '22 Gold', 'Monotheism', 'Peace Treaty', etc.

You will also not name units or cities in a way that could potentially offend your opponent. You will make sure your opponents are open to trash-talking, if that is your cup of tea.

In short, you will not rename units or cities for nefarious purposes.

5. Combat reports.

You will send (via email, or any other convenient and timely medium) a log of all combat that occurred in your attack of an opponent's units. Such a log could resemble something like this:

American 4/4 Swordsman defeats Greek 3/3 Hoplite, 1HP remaining
    American 5/5 Horseman attacks French 2/2 Warrior, retreats
    American Artillery bombards Berlin, Marketplace destroyed
    Etc.

Typically there is no need for any further information, but you will, on request, also provide a log of your unit movements within an opponent's visible range. Conversely, if your opponent makes it clear that this level of detail is not necessary, the log may be abbreviated. If this seems like a hassle, note that all this information is standard in a SP game.

In short, you will not leave your opponents "in the dark" concerning what happens unit-wise during your turn (within the limits of what their would normally see).
    OK - to the above, I would add or modify:

5. Combat reports - are optional

6. Out-of-Game Contact

There will be no out of game contact of any sort (other than obvious logistics regarding sending and receiving the save) until civs meet in the game. This should be fairly obvious, and ensures two things:

(i) the intent of the civ game where you need to explore the world and actually MEET civs is maintained.

(ii) prevents unreasonable trading and alliances to occur before civs meet in game. To a certain degree, this reinforces #2 regarding pre-game baggage.

7. Map Trading

You will not engage in map trading of any sort until you are capable of trading maps in-game. This includes screen shots, drawn maps, and the like. It does NOT preclude general geographic directions such as : "We are on a small penisnula to your north" and the like.

8. Reloading of Saves

(And the most obvious...) No reloading of saves to change the RNG or to try a second time to take Helm's Deep or to send your scout in a different direction to explore 'that way instead". You will make your decision, make your move (once), and live with the consequences.
    Last edited by Beta; April 15, 2004, 19:44.
    Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

2. Exploit List

The most complete list I am aware of is the MZO list. (In saying that I admit complete ignorance of the list set up for the more recent C3C IDG. It may be more extensive.) This should at leat get the discussion going. Thnaks to Octavian X who pulled it together, based on an original list by Dominae, and with input from many others.

The following is a list of some known exploits. Note that these are not all the exploits, so if an exploit doesn't appear here, it is still illegal. The administator may edit this list as exploits are discovered/fixed.

1. Alliance tricks

Basically the idea of most points in this section revolves around two teams flipping back and forth between peace and war to abuse certain game mechanics.

1.1 Getting double-duty out of artillery and Workers

Two (or more) teams can get double (triple...) use of bombardment units and Workers by using the units on their respective turns, then letting their "enemy" capture and use them in turn. When facing an alliance of two civs with 20 Catapults among them, it's quite disconcerting to have to face 40 rounds of bombardment.

The simple solution is to require alliances and peace treaties to be respected through in-game diplomacy.

1.2 Sharing a Luxury or Strategic resource

Two teams can get the use of a single resource by repeated gifting and then cancelling of the trade. One Iron should only supply one civ at a time.

Repeated cancellation of trade is okay for supplying bursts of a resource for a civ upgrade, as long as it is not also being used for making a dual supply out of one resource.

1.3 Generating Leaders and Golden Ages by sacrificing cheap units

A team can build a bunch of Warriors and let another team slaughter them with Elites, in hopes of generating a Great Leader. This is actually quite costly, but the results can be dramatic (fast Forbidden Palace or Palace) if the teams get lucky.

The same applies to the generation of golden ages through the use of war with allies.

The solution to this one is the same as in 1.1.

1.4 Declaring war for happiness

Two teams can declare war on each other for purposes of generating a little Happiness, which can lead to increased production through WLTKD.

1.5 Exchanging map/minimap information before Navigation.

In Conquests, map trading is pushed back to Astronomy. If two teams can exchange maps out-of-game, the Seafaring trait becomes a lot less attractive.

2. Metagame tricks

2.1 Reloading to alter unwanted random results

It is possible to alter the results of combat (even with preserve random seed turned on) by reloading the save and playing out the turn slightly differently (i.e. by attacking in a different order, or basically by playing around with things that trigger the RNG). This can result in finding highly one-sided battles, and the appearance of an inordinate number of Elites and Great Leaders.

The simple solution is to require each team to open the save only once. This means that only one sequence of moves/orders is allowed to be viewed per save.

2.2 Manipulating a savegame file

Crafty players use the PBEM savegames to obtain information, or worse.

Again, let's play Civ3. If we allow tools like MapStat, then the door is wide open for any other file-manipulation program, which is a can of worms.

2.3 Loading a save while zoomed out

A team's turn-player can configure his or her game to be zoomed out, then load a PBEM savegame, which can reveal certain facts about the previous team's location.

Solution: all teams must agree to zoom in before loading the savegame and/or zoom in before saving the game.

2.4 Renaming units/cities to confuse/mislead opponents

Cities can be renamed to names of techs ('Monotheism') or sums of Gold ('210 Gold') or anything else that can be traded in the diplomacy screen. This allows a team to screw over another in a very weird way.

Worker and Settler names can be interchanged to hide their identities in stacks (since their stats are the same). Units with identical stats can be renamed for the same effect (Enkidu Warriors and Spearmen, Ancient Cavalry and Gallic Swordsmen).

Units/cities, therefore, may not be renamed for the specific purpose of fooling opponents.

3. Game Mechanics tricks

3.1 Fortifying a ship without any movement points left to obtain extra vision radius

A ship that fortifies sees an extra 1 tile in all directions at the beginning of the next turn. This can be accomplished by waking up the passengers of a ship (if there are any), and giving the Fortify All order.

3.2 Hitting F1 to change production

It is possible to use F1 to go into city views and change production before a city has been reached in the pre-turn production queue. This can result in tech-enabled units and Wonders being completed the very turn the tech is researched, or production to be changed in response to an enemy's actions (like Walls if a stack moves toward a specific city and not another).

Let all cities finish their growth/production phases, and only enter the city views when the first unit is highlighted and ready to move. This does away with tricks like avoiding riots, using tiles twice per turn, and other such nonsense.

3.3 Using GoTo to get extra movement

The last civ in the turn order can issue a GoTo command to a unit, and have that unit move twice before the next turn begins. This is very strong in war-time, and benefits one team only.

3.4 Chaining naval transports to quickly move land units across water

It is possible to wake a land unit at sea, and transfer it from one transport to another. Given enough ships, a chain can be created to instantaneously move units across bodies of water (by ending in port).

3.5 Teleporting units by abandoning or gifting cities

A team can instantaneously transport units from any city back to their capital by simply disbanding it or gifting it to another team. This results in very weird strategy.

3.6 Accepting a Peace Treaty from a civ then immediately declaring war

A team at war with another can accept the latter's Peace Treaty, then declare war afterward in order to eliminate War Weariness from that civ. This results in a huge advantage if the peace-seeking team is not aware of the trick.

And again, this is only a reference list. If it goes around the rules of Civ3 gameplay, it's an exploit, and you still can't use it!

Also, Much thanks to Dominae for compiling the original list.
      Last edited by Beta; April 13, 2004, 19:46.

Comment

3. Information on Dual Installs

From Rhothaerill regarding Conquests version 1.22:

Conquest V1.22

Hey guys, just FYI..

I have done some testing tonight and this game is indeed compatible with v1.22 as it's a "modded game". However not all PBEMs are compatible with v1.22. So I'm including what I did to still be able to play in both v1.15 and v1.22 by interchanging.

Before upgrading to v1.22, make a folder called V1.15 in the Civilization directory (not the Conquests). Copy (not cut) EVERYTHING in the Conquests folder over to the V1.15 folder. Then use the patch upgrade to v1.22. Then make a folder called V1.22 in the Civilization directory. Copy (not cut) EVERYTHING that is now in the Conquests folder over to the V1.22 folder.

EDIT: If you have separate folders for 1.15 and for 1.22 then all you need to do is hit the .exe for 1.15 to go back to 1.15 to play that version. Then click on the 1.22 .exe file to go back to 1.22 Thanks to UnOrthOdOx for that.

Anyway, that seems like the easiest way to me to be able to switch between versions for now. If anyone has an easier way please say so.

Just keep in mind that those instructions are somewhat hard-drive intensive. Other people have just copied certain files here and there. I made it easy on myself by copying everything for a full dual install so that it's all there for the old version and nothing gets screwed up (this came after screwing things up so badly I had to reinstall Conquests ). I have plenty of hard drive space so I was able to do that, but not everyone has that option.
        Last edited by Beta; April 13, 2004, 19:58.

Comment

4. Other relevant strategy and civ3 general threads

Suggestions - the first one I can think of is Theseus' list of key strategy files.

Comment

5. 2004 pbem Forum Census Results To-Date
            Last edited by Beta; August 21, 2004, 18:43.

Comment

6. Just in case II

For the second person's brilliant idea. (#3, you are out of luck.)

FEEL FREE TO COMMENT AND SUGGEST ON THE ABOVE TOPICS.

Thanks in advance for your input and making the PBEM forum a better place to live.

Comment

Very nice. This definitely needs topping. I'll see if I can get some things to add here. Do you want us to post them here for you to add (since we can't edit your posts) or do you want us to just PM you with the info.

BTW, I'd send a PM to Ming asking him to top the thread. That's the quickest way for him to see it.

Comment

Rhoth - OK - will do. And I have your dual install instructions. I know where to get them.

Comment

Just keep in mind that those instructions are somewhat hard-drive intensive. Other people have just copied certain files here and there. I made it easy on myself by copying everything for a full dual install so that it's all there for the old version and nothing gets screwed up (this came after screwing things up so badly I had to reinstall Conquests ). I have plenty of hard drive space so I was able to do that, but not everyone has that option.

We should probably post my little excerpt, and then if someone has written up the specific files then we include that too for those that don't want a full backup.

Comment

I have added the following 'rules' or guidelines to #1 Recommended PBEM Guidelines and Etiquette.

.5. Combat reports - are optional

6. Out-of-Game Contact

There will be no out of game contact of any sort (other than obvious logistics regarding sending and receiving the save) until civs meet in the game. This should be fairly obvious, and ensures two things:

(i) the intent of the civ game where you need to explore the world and actually MEET civs is maintained.

(ii) prevents unreasonable trading and alliances to occur before civs meet in game. To a certain degree, this reinforces #2 regarding pre-game baggage.

7. Map Trading

You will not engage in map trading of any sort until you are capable of trading maps in-game. This includes screen shots, drawn maps, and the like. It does NOT preclude general geographic directions such as : "We are on a small penisnula to your north" and the like.

8. Reloading of Saves

(And the most obvious...) No reloading of saves to change the RNG or to try a second time to take Helm's Deep or to send your scout in a different direction to explore 'that way instead". You will make your decision, make your move (once), and live with the consequences.
                      We could also use guidelines on speed of play, informing of absences etc.

Comments and input regarding any of the above are more than welcome.

Comment

You could use the PBEM rules I had created a year ago and refine it possibly.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oh, and here is the relative thread that didn't draw much attention back then.

Comment

Keygen. Wonderful! Many thanks!

I am about to head off for the weekend, but will review in greater depth on Sunday and see how we can combine the best of what we have.

Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
                              7. Map Trading

I would go so far as to ban the use of numbers and directions in verbal descriptions of the map. "You have an iron resource 5 tiles north and 2 tiles west of Istanbul" Isn't the kind of information you should be able to relay before knowing about maps. "There's some iron in the hills near Istanbul" or "I saw some Celtic cities along the coast before I reached your civ" would be appropriate.

Maybe between Map Making and Navigation more accurate verbal descriptions should be allowed, but the only difference between a picture and a verbal statement with relative coordinates is the time it takes to convey.
                              Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Working...
                              X