Ethnic Goody Huts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ethnic Goody Huts?

I recently began playing as the Americans after discovering that Scouts could be used to gobble up goody huts and thus grab all the ancient techs early. The last few games, however, I decided to try the Russians with a mind to try out cossacks and also to get an extra tech at the age change. But lo, playing on a huge map, I didn't find goody hut one. Zero hut count on the entire map two games in a row. I just started playing as the Americans again and got a goody just one space from my starting position and lots more nearby. Is this some kind of ethnic bias or am I not holding my mouth right?

Has to do with the level of Barbarian activity, a preference you can set before starting the game. If set at lowest (or chosen through the random option), there are no gooodie-huts.

Edit: added NO , small word, quit a different meaning to sentence.

Noticed peoples answer were abit strange to my answer (or to that what I thought was the answer I had given, it is now)
    Last edited by alva; April 18, 2003, 06:45.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Raging barbarians means more huts.
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Don't ask Panag though... he'll say the game is hard-coded to give the US better starting positions..

I've been playing Civ3 since it came out in oct/2001 and I have never noticed one civ getting a disproportionate amount of good or bad luck. Play enough games and you'll find out
        A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I don't think there are more huts if you choose 'Raging' over 'Sedentary.' You will have NO huts if you choose 'No Barbarians', however.

'Sedentary' means that Barbarians can only come out of a hut that is explored (popped) Since Barbarians can come out of huts, choosing 'No Barbarians' also means no Huts. There will be no 'Barbarian Encampments' if you choose 'Sedentary.' 'Barbarian Encampments' are where Barbarians are random spawned from. The encampments can only be placed in the 'fog of war.' Once your Civ has settled enough land to uncover the fog surrounding your Empire, 'Barbarian Encampments' will no longer be formed.

The higher the rating you choose for Barbarians the more of them there will be and the more often encampments will be formed and the Barbarians will also stray further from those encampments.

Since you have nary a Hut in the game where you play as the Russians, you set the game up to have 'No Barbarians.'

I hope this helps Knecht.

Alva: If you choose 'Random', you can get the 'No Barbarian' choice, hence no Huts is still a possibility with 'Random'.

Comment

To Bigfree, see my correction.
            I really shouldn't try to type fast, always get's me into trouble
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Originally posted by BigFree
              The encampments can only be placed in the 'fog of war.' Once your Civ has settled enough land to uncover the fog surrounding your Empire, 'Barbarian Encampments' will no longer be formed.
              Don't think this is correct:
              barbarian encampments and uprising can still occur in already discovered land. That is if that land's nearby territory stays unsettled for a while.

People can than do the barbarian milking thing: razing the encampment fot its gold, retreating and coming back after x turns to find a newly respawned camp there.

AJ
              " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
              - emperor level all time
              - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

There are "ethnic" goody huts in the meaning that the name of the tribes near you depends of your Civ. For example, when playing the Americans, you have more chance finding "Apache" goody huts or Barbarians, and when playing the French you have more chance finding "Burgundian" goody huts or Barbarians.

That's about it. It has no effect on gameplay.
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by AJ Corp. The FAIR

Don't think this is correct:
                  barbarian encampments and uprising can still occur in already discovered land. That is if that land's nearby territory stays unsettled for a while.

AJ
                  But they won't reappear in visible land, either land within the units line of sight or your cultural ones.

BTW: nice to see you are back A.J.

Comment

No barbarians will come from the huts if you are expansionist (like the Americans or Russians).
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Only if you use the scout* to open them

* not scout, the other one, whatisname?

Comment

Thanks to everyone for the input. Now let me see if I've got this straight. No barbs means no goodies. Sedentary, Roaming, Restless, and Raging will produce more barbs and more goodies on an respectively increasing scale. I've always used the random setting and now I can see why I've gotten such mixed results. Sometimes no barbs and sometimes the little bastards are all over the place. What I'm still not sure about is the way the random setting works. I had always assumed that it was sort of on a turn by basis but, if I'm hearing you guys rights, it's going to randomly set barbarians on one of the above mentioned levels and leave it there for the whole game. In other words, if you want a specific barbarian and goody hut rate, you should set it to begin with and avoid the random setting. Is this correct?

Comment

alva - the explorer

Comment

Originally posted by Knecht
                            Thanks to everyone for the input. Now let me see if I've got this straight. No barbs means no goodies. Sedentary, Roaming, Restless, and Raging will produce more barbs and more goodies on an respectively increasing scale. I've always used the random setting and now I can see why I've gotten such mixed results. Sometimes no barbs and sometimes the little bastards are all over the place. What I'm still not sure about is the way the random setting works. I had always assumed that it was sort of on a turn by basis but, if I'm hearing you guys rights, it's going to randomly set barbarians on one of the above mentioned levels and leave it there for the whole game. In other words, if you want a specific barbarian and goody hut rate, you should set it to begin with and avoid the random setting. Is this correct?
                            You are correct in all except what I 'bolded.'

The amount of huts do not increase with the increments of Barbarian levels. The 'only' way to get more goodies out of the existing huts, on average, is to start the game with a Civ that has an expansionist trait. If you do, you should only pop the huts with your scout, since he will not cause any Barbarians to come from a hut; other military units may.

A hint for the game: If you see a hut pretty close to you when you start a game, no matter what Civ you choose, try to pop the hut 'before' you build any military units. If you pop the hut and you don't have any military units, you will not get barbarians, guaranteed!

You may ask how are you supposed to pop this hut(s) if you have no military units? Wait till you border expands in 10 turns, if it is that close (but don't build any military until then, delay the build perhaps or build something else; or use your worker to pop it!

Comment

Originally posted by alva

But they won't reappear in visible land, either land within the units line of sight or your cultural ones.

BTW: nice to see you are back A.J.
                              You're right and ....

thanks (little more time now)

AJ
                              " Deal with me fairly and I'll allow you to breathe on ... for a while. Deal with me unfairly and your deeds shall be remembered and punished. Your last human remains will feed the vultures who circle in large numbers above the ruins of your once proud cities. "
                              - emperor level all time
                              - I'm back !!! (too...)

Comment

Working...
                              X