No announcement yet.

Different UU for English

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The problem as I see it is that since it is 'England', UUs like a 'redcoat' aren't applicable because they were British, not English. Presumably this is also why Elizabeth is Monarch rather than Victoria.

Comment

I think the distinction is minor. In terms of the niche they're supposed to fill, they're British.

Comment

Getting back to the UU heart of the thread - most colonizing nations had "ships of the line" at the time of the MoW. The biggest of these wasn`t English (Spanish, I believe). Here's my most recent idea for a new UU...

Whatever else happens, we have got
        the Maxim gun
        and they have not

How's about a Maxim gunner, not conscriptable, usual 1 movement, expensive but good defense? Kind of regular infantry but not requiring rubber. It's just an idea - feedback?
        Some cry `Allah O Akbar` in the street. And some carry Allah in their heart.
        "The CIA does nothing, says nothing, allows nothing, unless its own interests are served. They are the biggest assembly of liars and theives this country ever put under one roof and they are an abomination" Deputy COS (Intel) US Army 1981-84

Comment

How about, instead of a UU, some sort of unique improvement that reduces corruption, allowing a larger empire? Or a second FP sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogan Josh
            The problem as I see it is that since it is 'England', UUs like a 'redcoat' aren't applicable because they were British, not English. Presumably this is also why Elizabeth is Monarch rather than Victoria.
            Vicky isn't the leader because hse didn't have any power, by the 19th century the monarch was just a figurehead.

As for the UU I play a mod sometimes where everyone gets the MOW and the english get the ironclad exclusively.

Another idea would eb to give them a dreadnought uu but teh battleship is already quite good so you would have to reduce its values.
            Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
              Well, the moment they have a Welsh civ I'll eat my words, then.
              The Celts?

Seriously, endless fun could be made of a Welsh civ. Imagine how long their city names would be when they've got a place called "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllandysilio gogogoch".

Its true.

See
              Attached Files
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

Historical Aside.

The Royal Navy's ships of the line (Man-O-War) during the 18th and early 19th centuries were virtually identical to every other major power's ships of the line. A significant difference was in gunnery training. The Royal Navy generally trained their gun crews using live amunition, whereas other nations only did mock firing drills and expected their crews to learn the rest when the cannonballs started flying.

This resulted in British ships being able to fire around twice as fast as foreign ships. At Trafalgar, Nelson's fleet was outnumbered by the French and Spanish (27 british vs 39 french and spanish (6 were frigates)). Superior leaderships and gunnery tipped the odds.

As to the English UU, I believe it should be the privateer. Although, this would give the English near total domination of the oceans until the advent of frigates This is kind of accurate since frigates were the ship of choice for hunting pirates.
                There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Besides a superior navy, it was highly disciplined infantry that made England a force to be reckoned with. Either Musketman or Rifleman should be England's UU. +1/+1 or +0/+2 for att/def over the base unit.

Comment

Working...
                  X