PtW for single player, worth getting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PtW for single player, worth getting?

I have been considering getting the PtW expansion - but as I play only single player, is it worth it? Is there enough content within it aimed at single-player games?

Also, I remember from when it was new, that it was getting lots of bad press in reviews due to bugs. Have those been adequately fixed in patches? (I'll be getting the UK / European version, if that's relevant.)

Thanks for any advice people have! I have a rather limited amount of money to spend on games, so must prioritize whether to get this, or some other expansion / game.

/unic

Unic...

I'd say yes. You get several more civs to play. A new wonder or two and new city improvements. Also the AI is remarkably better in PtW. I feel that it was well worth my money.

BigD
    Holy Cow!!! BigDork's Back!

BigDork's Poll of the Day over at MZO. What Spam Will It Be Today?

Comment

And how about problems with bugs?

Comment

I can't really think of anything too bad with SP. MP was pretty buggy but I think they fixed most of that with the patches.

BigD

Comment

Don't forget the great AI improvements. AI is much smarter now, especially the ´barbarians.

Comment

Unic: Go for it. I bought it back in January, solely for SP. Well worth the cash IMO. Better AI, new civs, a few new units, better barb AI and some interface tweaks. No huge SP bugs IIRC, but download the latest patch anyway.
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

PtW for single player, worth getting?
              Yes.

The bad press reviews were due to the buggy MP. The SP didn't have any serious bugs AFAIR (besides the game was patched and now it is virtually bugless). The 1.21f PtW Civ3 is a very good Sp game.

The MP still has some annoying shortcomings, but it is playable.
              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
              --George Bernard Shaw
              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
              --Woody Allen

Comment

Ok, thanks for the opinions I'll keep an eye open and see if I can pick it up for decent price anywhere.

/unic

Comment

Yes. It's worth.

Comment

Isn't the 1.21 patch only for the US version???

BigD

Comment

I bought it for SP only and for me the implementation of the swordsman/medieval infantry/guerrilla upgrade path, even by itself, was worth the $25 I payed for the game. The additional civs provide nice variety (especially those Carthaginians, tough SOBs that they are) and the interface has some very nice tweaks. It's highly recommended.
                      Better living through tyranny

Comment

It adds mush to single player as well. Du borde köpa den.
                        Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I got the upgrade in order to play on the internet. Still haven't figured out how to get my ports open, so I ended up playing SP all the time. This has still been well worth it! The extra civs, the better AI, the upgrade path to guerilla...all have been exciting additions. You also get things like airfields and radar towers that can be situationally beneficial. The game even comes with some excellent preloaded scenarios. Well worth the investment!
                          "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Ok, so when will we see the next thread with this question? My bet is April 25th.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Re: PtW for single player, worth getting?

Originally posted by unic
                              I have been considering getting the PtW expansion - but as I play only single player, is it worth it? Is there enough content within it aimed at single-player games?
                              As others have pointed out, Civ3PTW + patches includes interesting new Civs, better AI, fixed bugs, etc., which makes SP work very well. Is it good value for the new-game price? - the answer depends on your attitude. In a benevolent world Infogrames would have made the better AI and bug fixes a free download - seeing as it was basically fixing what was poorly implemented in the first place. If you agree, then the price of PTW buys you 8 new Civs + multiplayer (MP). As such, for the SP, it looks like 8 expensive new Civs, which I wouldn't pay full price for by itself.

[SIZE=1] Also, I remember from when it was new, that it was getting lots of bad press in reviews due to bugs. Have those been adequately fixed in patches? (I'll be getting the UK / European version, if that's relevant
                              I have a rather limited amount of money to spend on games
                              A lot of criticism of the value of Civ3PTW revolved around (i) it is an MP expansion, in which the MP has many bugs and performs very poorly when it performs at all; and (ii) the sheer number of bugs, resulting in the PTW customers being a de-facto Product Verification team for Firaxis/Infogrames. As such, many of us were enraged at having paid new-game prices for what was essentially a low-quality add-on that didn't deliver the advertised play-value.
                              Now that many of the bugs that affect SP gaming have been resolved, Civ3PTW patched with 1.21f plays very well for the SP wanting to take on the world. Some MP modes play well also, though more work is required.
                              Criticism and bad history aside, I'd have to base a recommendation on whether we play the game and enjoy it much more than Civ3, and the answer is YES. It would be hypocritical for me to claim Civ3PTW is a bad game, given that we spend way too many hours playing it!

My conclusion: Worth it, with reservations, plus a lower opinion of Infogrames and much lower likelihood of buying their future products.

Comment

Working...
                              X