No announcement yet.

Finally got PtW - and it just crashes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally got PtW - and it just crashes!

I can't even start the game, it crashes within 30 sek. I found this in the readme file:

NOTE: TBS Santa Cruz sound cards can cause some compatibility problems with Play the World.
    Thats what you get for having a state-of-the-art computer...

Anyone knows if there is a fix for this?
    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Get a new new sound card.

No, seriously...I´ve no idea.
    I can just spread my happiness:
    I finally got PtW after months of waiting and so far it works perfectly
    And ever after, sun shone upon the land of Sunshinia...

Comment

Yeah, great. A new sound card... The sound system is my favorite part of the current computer. The 5+1 surround gives me better sound than the stereo in my living room. Sacrifice that for PtW?

This is the crash log if someone would bother.
      Attached Files
      So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
      Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Olaf, have you checked with the manufacturer's website for the possiblity of an updated driver for your sound card? An undated driver usually fixes the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
          Olaf, have you checked with the manufacturer's website for the possiblity of an updated driver for your sound card? An undated driver usually fixes the problem.
          I checked. There is no update available. The only one I found has the same version number as mine.

Comment

What operating system are you using Olaf? By your posted crash log, it says "Windows NT 5.1." Is this correct? Or are you using Windows 2000?

Here's a link I found concerning your sound card that will hopefully be of some help:

Comment

In addition, on the same linked page, at the top there is "(Knowledge Base articles). Click on this link, move down the page, and you'll see "troubleshooting" with a subtitle of "Game issue - Hardware Acceleration" and "Game Issues - Win 9X, ME (VxD Drivers)." Maybe these will shed some light on your problem.
              "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
              "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

What operating system are you using Olaf? By your posted crash log, it says "Windows NT 5.1." Is this correct? Or are you using Windows 2000?

Here's a link I found concerning your sound card that will hopefully be of some help:

http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/kb_ftp/585ftp.asp
                That's excactly the page I visited. I am using XP, which is probably another name for NT 5.1.

Comment

In addition, on the same linked page, at the top there is "(Knowledge Base articles). Click on this link, move down the page, and you'll see "troubleshooting" with a subtitle of "Game issue - Hardware Acceleration" and "Game Issues - Win 9X, ME (VxD Drivers)." Maybe these will shed some light on your problem.
                  Thanks,
                  I will check this tomorrow. Now is time for bed.

Comment

Yes, under the hood, Windows XP is just the newest version of NT.

- TT

Comment

There's nothing about game incompatibility issues in the FAQ on the Santa Cruz site.

Crap, I don't even know if the sound card is the problem. That's an assumption based on the text in the PtW Readme.

Comment

Go into Control Panel > Multimedia > Advanced Audio Properties > Performance and try turning down the hardware acceleration on your sound and try the game each time you turn it down one notch. Worth a try.
                        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                          Go into Control Panel > Multimedia > Advanced Audio Properties > Performance and try turning down the hardware acceleration on your sound and try the game each time you turn it down one notch. Worth a try.
                          Yeah, that's what I was going to suggest. Set it to the minimum This has worked for other people who've had the same problem. Just remember to set it back to normal when you're done playing Civ3:Ptw. Good luck, let us know if this works.
                          "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of kindness, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo Buscaglia

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                            I tried all 4 levels. None of them worked.

Comment

What version of PtW are you using? Do you have the latest patch? Did you have any trouble running Civ3 before you got PtW? Also, you might want to read through this page.
                              "Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of kindness, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo Buscaglia

Comment

Working...
                              X