Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theory of evolution

I'm already into modern times and I havent been able to get it o_O

Hey, some people still don't believe it in the US...

Comment

Just look in the Civilpedia and research what you need to get it
      To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Re: Theory of evolution

Originally posted by Vaporeons_Rage
        I'm already into modern times and I havent been able to get it o_O
        funny, I think you need the tech its on to get to modern age...
        Former President, Vice-president and Foreign Minister of the Apolyton Civ2-Democracy Games as 123john321

Comment

Then someone else has built it, perhaps? The tech (scientific method) cannot be skipped over to reach Modern Age.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Yeah, someone might have built it. It's easy to miss if you have wonder initiation turned off.
            To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

It's not a necessary thec I think to get to the next age. But if you dont have it yet, just buy it, dont research it...it'll be a waste of time.

Spec.
              -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuomerehu
                Hey, some people still don't believe it in the US...
                Nor do I believe in it. It's just a THEORY, there is no such thing as "law of evolution". Some parts of the theory are backed up with scientific evidence, such as species can evolve "within" a certain boundary of their specie, but not into other species. (a dog can evolve to another type of dog but not into a cat/bird or whatever)

There is no proof that apes could evolve into humans etc... such theories are just claimed to be true cause they can't find any real scientific evidence of how us humans ended up here. There are lots of arguments why this can impossibly be the case, some arguments against this theory are very convincing and can't be dismissed that easily.

Comment

Being a theory doesn't mean it's factual. Those theories that we know to be true is called theorems or laws, etc.
                  ==========================
                  www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

Originally posted by Dida
                    Being a theory doesn't mean it's factual. Those theories that we know to be true is called theorems or laws, etc.
                    I think Tuomerehu's point was that people flat out reject evolution in its entirety in the face of the evidence that support it because of the a religious myth they were taught at a young age.
                    To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Originally posted by Dida
                      Being a theory doesn't mean it's factual.
                      True.

Those theories that we know to be true is called theorems or laws, etc.
                      Sorry if this is off-topic:

It is not possible to prove any scientific theory "true" or "false". The word 'theorem' is reserved for mathematics, where results never start out as theories (and if they do, they either get proved, get disproved, or go into the "puzzle" category). The word "law" is horribly misleading and arrogant to apply to any scientific theory, since it implies knowledge of the true structure of things, which is not really available to us. The source of the implication is that laws cannot, by definition, be shown to be "incorrect". The "law" of gravitation, for example, is really a theory. The theory of evolution is aptly named.

Dominae
                      And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Well alot of people do consider the theory of evolution to be "factual", for some darwinism is their religion.

I read somewhere that at some university people who did not "believe" in the theory of evolution because of their religious convictions failed the course even if they understood the theory fully and othervice passed the course.

I donno if this is common practise or not.

From what I've gathered I believe there is no such thing as what is portrayed by those so common pictures of a fish jumping out of the sea, eventually turning into a human being.

I can't see how stuff could randomly evolve to all the species that exists today, there is no convincing proof of that either.

btw I do believe in the Bible. You say beliving in religious "myths" (God) is nonsense, but find it easily believable that this enormous universe with all it's complicated life forms could suddenly just randomly "evolve" to what it is today out of nothing?!

Comment

Originally posted by Divvy
                          I read somewhere that at some university people who did not "believe" in the theory of evolution because of their religious convictions failed the course even if they understood the theory fully and othervice passed the course.
                          A few weeks or months ago it was in the news that a biology professor at a university would not write letters of recommendation for students trying to get into Biology graduate programs if they didn't believe in evolution. His reasoning was that modern biology puts a lot of stock in evolution, and if you don't agree with that theory then you can't agree with a huge portion of the current thinking.

I think tha tthis is what you're refering to. (though we could be talking about two seperate things)

It's not all that common, I don't believe. Otherwise this guy wouldn't have gotten into the news.

Comment

Originally posted by Divvy

btw I do believe in the Bible. You say beliving in religious "myths" (God) is nonsense, but find it easily believable that this enormous universe with all it's complicated life forms could suddenly just randomly "evolve" to what it is today out of nothing?!
                            You find it easier to believe that a big man in the sky waved his magic wand and made everything in a week than to believe that humans evolved from monkeys (who have something like 99 per cent of our DNA), and birds evolved from prehistoric winged dinosaurs (again, sharing much of the same traits)? And what of the evidence sicentists have that the earth is indeed millions of years old?

I've always thought of the Bible as a kind of allegory. It made such an impact on ancient peoples that it lingers even today, but one should never think it anything more than an ancient attempt to explain human existence, and it should not be considered more scientifically 'sound' than the theory of evolution and subsequent scientific discoveries which reinforce it.

As a matter of 'belief', rather than science, then of course any person can believe in their religion. We all need our spiritual and moral reassurances.

Comment

The Bible is full of crap.
                              "Perseus wore a magic cap so that the monsters he hunted might not see him. We draw the magic cap down over our own eyes and ears so as to deny that there are any monsters" - Karl Marx

Comment

Working...
                              X