Space Race Victory

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Space Race Victory

Apologies if this has been done to death, but I hate the space race victory. I always turn it off as having it inevitably robs me of the opportunity to use robot artillery (my favourite unit).

Does anyone else hate it as much as me? I mean the spaceship looks pretty dumb - I thought Civ 1's space race was better: allowing you to sacrifice points for speed or to build a bigger ship for more points.

I always turn off diplomatic victory as well. It's either culture, military or domination for me.
    Only feebs vote.

I'm always too defensive so i dont have time to conquest everything before the space race comes up so it's the way i almost always win. So now i'm disabling it for this and future games

I like it as a way of kinda setting a win that isnt just based on score like the 2050 win (i.e. more satisfying). It finishes the game when it is ready to be finished without you having to take over the world which takes bloody ages with RR everywhere.

Comment

You can use the editor and mod in more requirements, say more than 1 of each piece, maybe that'll make it more interesting.

I'm not too much a fan of Space Victories in my personal games, and in competitive games, usually it is possible to go for a diplomatic victory earlier.

Conquest...
      A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

I must be hated because no one ever votes for me in the UN election. Even though I bribe the hell out of the others.
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

There's a good article by Bamspeedy on AI attitude towards you that will help you get the diplomatic victory.

I'll try and find the link for you...

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

What I do is delay the availability of the SS parts, with one not available until Integrated Defense, and increasing the costs, some up to 1000 (100 in the editor).

Comment

here it is, it's at CFC

I spent a few weeks with an unpatched version of PTW and no internet access (to dowload the patch), so I decided to spend some of that time testing AI attitudes. This test was with the 1.01 version of PTW, so there might be a possibility that some of this was changed in a patch, but most likely...

Comment

[quote]Space Race Victory [/quote
                ...is for wussies
                I always turn it off, too.

Comment

I used to turn it off too, but I thought "hey, it does not need to be bloodlust EVERY time...". So I turned it on again. Even though I think I'll lose more times.

Comment

If you don't like the space race, try my Space Age Mod (link below in sig). I moved the components to the end of a modified modern tech tree, increased the cost (making leaders more important if you can get them - I narrowly beat the Egyprians once by a leader finishing a single component). Try it out.
                    - "A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it still ain't a part number." - Ron Reynolds
                    - I went to Zanarkand, and all I got was this lousy aeon!
                    - "... over 10 members raised complaints about you... and jerk was one of the nicer things they called you" - Ming

Comment

If you don't like the space race, try my Space Age Mod (link below in sig). I moved the components to the end of a modified modern tech tree, increased the cost (making leaders more important if you can get them - I narrowly beat the Egyprians once by a leader finishing a single component). Try it out.
                      Thanks. Downloading and checking out readme, looking forward to it. Unfortunately I don't have time tonight to play Civ3.

Comment

My first half-dozen full length games were with space race, and i kept either winning or losing (due to space race) before getting to Radar Artillery, AEGIS Cruisers, or Stealth planes.

I finally got pissed off that i'd never gotten far enough to get them and turned it off. Turns out those units were cool enough for me to never turn that goddamn sapce race back on.
                        Shouldn't you be dead or something?

Comment

Thanks for the link MZ.

Agreed Jarvin - the Aegis cruisers are worth it alone.
                          Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                            Thanks for the link MZ.
                            No problem

Agreed Jarvin - the Aegis cruisers are worth it alone.
                            I actually think the Aegis are pretty worthless as it is. However, I do some major modding and enable them to carry cruise missiles, I also take away their ability to see subs and give it to Destroyers because if not then Destroyers are obsolete. That forces you to build both.

Comment

Hey, I don't like to be forced!

Comment

Working...
                              X