Any fix for research problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any fix for research problem?

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a simple fix for that problem with research. It seems that its always so much better to set research to zero and just buy techs from other civs instead of researching them. Pretty much ruins the game for me.

Well, I usually try for the tech lead and sell the techs to the AI. That way I have techs and money.

Edit: This only applies to the lower difficulty levels (Monarch and below). If you are playing Diety, they are going to out research you.
    Seemingly Benign
    Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

So you're always in the lead then? Doesn't that get a little dull?

Comment

(Oops, just never mind!)

Comment

Buying techs is much more feasible in the early period of Emperor/Deity.

But by the middle ages they'll get expensive and If you're spending too much $$ on military purposes then you'll fall behind (although you'll be able to get em from a defeated civ)

I use a combination:

1) Buy techs first
          2) When wars start, get them through extortion
          3) After I am "consolidaded", I start reaserching them myself.
          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Thanks for the tips, but what I had in mind was some kind of "mod". Not really interested in trying different strategies. I've been through that already.

Comment

Well, in a mod the AI will still evaluate the trade price based on the research price and how many players already know the tech. If you are the last on the block to know something it will always be cheaper even in a mod. Things that can be done to change the dynamic a little:

Raise the cost of all techs
              Raise the cap from 40 turns to 50 or 60
              Lower the AI-AI trade rate
              Add research points to scientists
              Seemingly Benign

Comment

OK thanks, maybe I'll try that AI trade rate thing. Didn't know you could do that with the editor. I think what really bugs me is that I can't get ahead of the AI in tech until I've beaten them down militarily so much that I've practically won already. It's like the game always follows the same "pattern". Buying techs at first until I catch up, and then starting massive wars to beat down the AI and get ahead. Need something to break out of that rut.

Comment

What difficulty are you playing at? If it is Emperor or Diety, you'll have a hard time getting ahead in tech (till you beat them militarily, which is what you are trying to avoid).
                  Seemingly Benign

Comment

Well, I usually play on Monarch. Seems hard enough.

Comment

lol, it is hard enough
                      Sos groso, sabelo!
                      "Yo a mis equipos los coloco bien el la cancha, lo que pasa es que cuando empieza el partido los jugadores se mueven" - Alfio "Coco" Basile

"En el fútbol la que manda es la pelota" - Ángel Cappa

Comment

Working...
                      X