Peace causing unhappiness?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peace causing unhappiness?

I've seen this in other games, and it's driving me crazy. How is it that ending a war can lead to unhappiness in my cities? In my latest game, playing as the Romans, I went to war with the Greeks. In the turn that I settled for peace all my cities became more unhappy. I have the save from the beginning of my turn, my capital, Rome, has 6 citizens, 2 happy, 2 content, 2 unhappy. At the end of the turn, after I've made peace with the Greeks, Rome has 1 happy, 3 content and 2 unhappy. The only thing that has changed is that now I'm at peace.

I'm in despotism; the number of units in Rome has not changed, my temple was not destroyed by some random act of God and I didn't lose any resources. I've never read anywhere in the rules or on these boards anything about this, but it seems to me that, in this case, peace causes unhappiness. Does anyone have an explanation?
    "If you want to have cities you've got to build roads" - Cake

When you first go to war, you get a reverse war weariness factor if you will where your citizens are happy to be going to war (especially if the war was declared on you). But as war continues, war weariness begins to take effect more and more negatively depending upon many factors. And if you're in a republic or democracy, your people will start to become unhappy and eventually cause a revolution.
    badams

Comment

Thanks for the response. I had no idea there was a reverse war weariness factor. Is it documented anywhere in the rules? (I did read them, I swear, but it was a long time ago). I'll have to go to war more often.
      "If you want to have cities you've got to build roads" - Cake

Comment

Patriotic fever at the outset of war can conceal underlying uhappiness, and is NOT in the rulebook. It might POSSIBLY be mentioned in the civilopedia.

Comment

You'll find this happening especially if you're attacked by a "traditional" enemy, meaning one you have a history of conflict with. And no I don't think it's been written down anywhere, it's just something that people have noticed happening in their games.

Comment

Peace causing unhappiness?

Well you know in every country there is a warmonger-community. People just like to go to war regardless against whom. They like the fancy uniforms and all the glamour in gaining territory. This are the people that celebrate when you go to war and they will also be unhappy when you sign a peace-treaty because now it's over with all the conquering and glory. Ah good bless the warmonger-society makes ruling a country much easier when you are a warmongering despot

Comment

It's just sad that this effect endures only a few turns, 5 at most...

Comment

You'll find this happening especially if you're attacked by a "traditional" enemy, meaning one you have a history of conflict with. And no I don't think it's been written down anywhere, it's just something that people have noticed happening in their games.
                O_o

Comment

Well you know in every country there is a warmonger-community. People just like to go to war regardless against whom. They like the fancy uniforms and all the glamour in gaining territory. This are the people that celebrate when you go to war and they will also be unhappy when you sign a peace-treaty because now it's over with all the conquering and glory. Ah good bless the warmonger-society makes ruling a country much easier when you are a warmongering despot
                  God bless the NSDAP

Comment

they needs empire V and test can they best of world... or who beat them.

Comment

they needs empire V and test can they best of world... or who beat them.
                      Excuse me?

Comment

Maybe not "Finnish"

No party Because devil is cam...

Comment

This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

??

See what happens when there is all this talk of peace?

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Piece is good.
                              Ottok seems to be a messenger of the gods.

Comment

Working...
                              X