X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on comabt mechanics

I'll ask this question using the following example:

An archer A 2-1-1 attacks another archer B 2-1-1

The first thing that will happen, is that A has a 2/3 chance, based on attack A=2 and defence B=1, of injuring archer B, right?

But what happens exactly, when archer B retaliates? Does he use his attack against A's defence, his defence against A's defense, his defense against A's attack???

First off it isn't a straight 2 against 1. It is actually modified by terrain, experience of the unit and whether the defender is fortified. So, in practice, archer A has less than a 2/3 chance of winning a particular combat round.

Secondly, archer B does not retaliate as such. For each round of combat the odds are calculated, based on A's attack against B's defence, and compared to a random number. If archer A is successful in his attack, archer B loses 1HP. If archer A is not successful (the 1/3 chance), then archer A loses 1HP. This goes on until either A or B is reduced to 0HP and destroyed.
    Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

Thanks

But are you sure about this? I think I've seen combat rounds in which no unit got injured...

Comment

It's quite possible to see a two blows in a row in which nobody gets hurt (and sometimes it feels like more). In each round of combat (during which 1 hp is lost by someone) the graphics have A attacking B and then B attacking A. So if A wins the first round, and B wins the seonc round, the graphics look like:
        A hits
        B misses
        A missed
        B hits
        So the graphics of two misses in a row can crop up quite easily, but this doesn't exactly represent what is going on in the combat.

Comment

Are there misses in civ combat? I thought in each round, it was a simple win-lose formula, and someone would always end up getting hit. The animations may not synch to the rounds, though.
          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov
            Are there misses in civ combat? I thought in each round, it was a simple win-lose formula, and someone would always end up getting hit. The animations may not synch to the rounds, though.
            No-one misses in combat. Only bombardment can miss.
            Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

I thought that was the case. If there were misses, combat would really be drawn out...yeughhh!
              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
                X