Declaring War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Declaring War

In my most recent game, my security serives discovered the ottomans carrying out espionage in one of my cities.

If I decalred war would I take a rep hit, its already quite low because I have only just recently finished a war to stop them getting the theory of evolution( which failed by 1 turn so I razed it instead )

The AI often declares war on me when it discover my attempts at being James Bond
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
    Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Re: Declaring War

Originally posted by TheStinger
    If I decalred war would I take a rep hit, its already quite low because I have only just recently finished a war to stop them getting the theory of evolution( which failed by 1 turn so I razed it instead )
    Hmmm, so you razed it for spite? The effects of ToE certainly were already used up.

Whether or not to declare war based on rep depends upon a lot of factors. If you two are the super powers, I say take 'em out and switch govt. if you need to.
    badams

Comment

Completley out of spite. Its the best reason
      Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
      Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Anytime YOU declare war, you always screew up your rep. The best way to get it back is to make a Military alliance with who ever you can vs the ottoman, those civs will become gracious or polite....very rarely the'll be annoyed if they were furious before.
        -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Of course, you will need mayor $$ sometimes if those neighbouring civs are anything near friendly to your enemy.

I've also heard that declaring war "before" invading them (ie not in their territory) is better.

Not that I really give a rat's @$$ at my reputation. Best to be feared than loved!
          A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Originally posted by TheStinger
            Completley out of spite. Its the best reason

I've done something like that once. I was playing the Iroquois on Emperor and, after a hard fight, FINALLY managed to conquer my continent. I was just settling in for a nice millenium of building, when the Germans (offshore, largish island) tried a sneak attack via landing (oh, I sure hope the human doesn't notice that I just dropped of a lone longbowman next to his city ). I was extremely put out. I massed a few galleon loads of Cavalry and sent them to Berlin, and removed it from the map, Great Library and all.

-Arrian
            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

I never raze cities with wonders... It sounds such a waste to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrojedi
                I never raze cities with wonders... It sounds such a waste to me.
                Not if you think the AI will get it back and it's a wonder like ToE that gives him culture and not you or any of the outdated ones. I just contradicted myself didn't I?
                badams

Comment

I'll do it, if only to leave a lasting impression!

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Raze raze raze.

I've been playing the end of AU204... Egypt has several GW cities that I want, but 1) I will only capture and occupy them at 1 pop, and 2) I am razing everything else just on principle.
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I wanna start playing those AU games... hope I have time in the coming weeks/months.

Comment

I never declare war -- it's so much more satisfying to trick them into declaring on me...
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

I like razing cities without GW. I almost never lose such cities, as I usually know where the GW are and then I attack with a large gigantic force with good defence. Just in case.

Comment

Spectator, you're only half right by saying that you get a good reputation back by allying with someone. You're right, because your ally will stop caring about all the wrongs you've done against your common victim, and even like you more for a lot of it.

But you're wrong, because as soon as the war ends, either since you eliminated the victim or declared peace, then your former ally goes back to pre-war attitude and despises you for all you did to your common victim again.

Check Bamspeedy's excellent reputation thread at CFC.
                            If you cut off my head, what do I say?
                            Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Don't care about reputation. They will eventually hate you anyway. I have seen the AI go from polite to sneak attack quite often.
                              So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                              Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Working...
                              X