No announcement yet.

I Hate That Stupid Draft Button.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yep, bugs the crap outta me too. I hit it all the time (I'm a big-time drafter too... 12 pop before hospitals is a waste).

Not as bad as declaring war by accident, though...
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Theseus,

What do you do with those drafted units? Do you throw them into the fray, or do you disband for shields in the hinterlands?

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Why do you press the draft button anyway? I press the "H" key (a good old relic, back at the time I used to play SMAC using the keyboard only... aaah
        I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Never drafted, and now that I confirmed (I did not know that) that only size 7+ cities can draft, now I feel compelled to almost never do it. Tried my first non-AI-mood-controlled game, and, even though it felt different (dificult! man, if you don't train it...), it was not a big great difference after all... at least in this first (won! uhu!) game.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
            Theseus,

What do you do with those drafted units? Do you throw them into the fray, or do you disband for shields in the hinterlands?

-Arrian
            Disbanding (I do this a LOT)
            Back-up defense (they're not so bad in a mountain fortress)
            Interior defense (left over from Civ2... I hate empty cities)
            Maginot Lines
            Garrisoning resistors

I'll use them in battle when outrageously advantage... Germany or some other bastard shows up with a stack of 30 Infantry, I arty them down to redline, and then get an awful lot of my conscripts and regs promoted.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Disbanding (I do this a LOT)
              Although a very good tactic, it does feel to me like an exploit.
              (I use it too though )
              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

)

I use it from time to time as well. Usually in the infantry period or later. Because by then you have 12 pop cities without sanitation. It is a waste to let thet extra food go to waste!

It has saved my butt as well one time. I was badly outnumbered and the Russians started a war with loads of cossacks, mostly regular. I was under monarchy at that time, so I could draft even two per city! Then march them to the front (with railroad no problem!). Sure it was mostly cannonfodder, but it stopped them and gave me an opportunity to build REAL units.

Well it was before the 1.29f (even pre 1.21 I think) patch though, so the unhappiness was probably less than it is now....
                It is I Le Clerk! ;-) Quote from Allo allo.

Comment

Re: I Hate That Stupid Draft Button.

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                  Look at it. Just sitting there, so tiny, so innocent looking, so BLOODY FREAKING EASY to hit when rush building!!!!

If there was one design item I'd change in city view, it would be to have an "Are You Sure?" box open for that button, just as they do for rush building.
                  Good God do I agree. I can't even tell you how many times I've accidentally hit that thing.

Comment

Working...
                  X