Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by eNo on 05-07-2001 04:05 PM
    I think I'm missing a couple but what I've mentioned can happen whether your getting out of your fullscreen program or getting back in.

It may also frees the game that you leave until you are back and in MP that may result in crashing 6 other computers also.

quote:

For people running ICQ or hiding the game behind homework when parents walk in, fullscreen mode is just a pain in the [BLANK].

You want F5 back as Boss key, do you?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I agree with the above posters that a full-screen mode is less than desirable. Although, if Civ III programmers implement it correctly, it should under no circumstances crash the game or computer, and I think that even thrashing the hard drive is due to the game taking up so much memory that the swap file has to be used when switching to other programs, so this is not a feature of full-screen per se, there are other negative aspects about it in comparison with windowed mode. Many of them I pointed out in my earlier post in another thread, which read thus:

I, for one, rarely or never play multiplayer Civilization, but would definitely want to have Civ 3 in a window anyway. All those countless hours of single player Civ 2 were partly made possible for me by the fact that the game is easily available and can be left on all the time while I surf the net, read email, use ICQ, listen to music and whatever else I might be doing - if the game e.g. changes system-wide video settings in any way, like SMAC, it would render other programs so ugly as to be unusable.

If you can't have it in a window, it had better be full-screen so that it is easily minimized and maximized and alt-tabbed out of and into like most games without affecting any other programs, not the way SMAC does it changing the whole system to 256 colors. A window, however, is the best option, since I have two displays and I love nothing more than being able to have any other programs open on my secondary display and clicking and using them any way I like while Civilization is still visible and open on my primary display - if you alt-tab out of a full-screen game, it will no longer be visible at all!

And yes, I like the fact in Civ II that I can cover the window with an Outlook Express window at work whenever somebody comes into my room

Comment

Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS "Yes I just love windows."

well looks like we have a supporter

Hopefully it gets implimented now...
        Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
        and kill them!

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by markusf on 05-08-2001 04:35 PM
          Jeffrey Morris FIRAXIS "Yes I just love windows."

-------------------- Edited:

The guy who voted wasnt Jeffrey Morris at all. He voted under false name.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 12, 2001).]

Comment

Yeah it happens in a lot of games but some games like CTP2 never did a thing if I alt-tabbed them they were fine. B+W goes a bit weird when you alt-tab the cursor turns into a square of various colours.
            I would rather have it windowed but if they make sure that alt-tabbing doesn't cause any problems it's not too bad if they have it un-windowed.

------------------
            " Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few "
            Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

I've played Civ2 and CTP enough that I too feel that Civ3 should be able to be run in a window instead of full screen. The major reason is simply that most of us like to run other programs at the same time as Civ3. I may not ever play a multiplayer game, but I do like to run AOLIM in the background or watch TV via my TV tuner card. Both of those pretty much require that Civ3 be in a window of its own. So therefore, I am casting my vote for a window.

------------------
              The Electronic Hobbit
              The Electronic Hobbit

Comment

Do we have a fake Jeffrey Morris here? I just accidentally had my cursor over his name in the comments and noticed that the link to his profile didn't have a plus sign between Jeffrey and Morris like with other people who have multi-part names. So I clicked the link and this person is a settler with zero posts. It looks like we have an imposter here.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Paul on 05-12-2001 06:18 AM
                  Do we have a fake Jeffrey Morris here? I just accidentally had my cursor over his name in the comments and noticed that the link to his profile didn't have a plus sign between Jeffrey and Morris like with other people who have multi-part names. So I clicked the link and this person is a settler with zero posts. It looks like we have an imposter here.

Damned imposter , using hard blankspaces (#160) in the name, I really hoped for Windows after his vote. I hope that MarkG will ban him.

Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I just got Airfield inc. It has an option for windowed or fullscreen at the start maybe they could do something like that??

Shane
                    Destruction is a lot easier than construction. The guy who operates a wrecking ball has a easier time than the architect who has to rebuild the house from the pieces.--- Immortal Wombat.

Comment

JESUS he is fake when I clicked on his profile I came up with netckc's which is:

Date Registered: May 08, 2001
                      Total Posts: 0
                      Current Email: Not available.
                      Homepage:
                      Interests: PC Gaming
                      ICQ Number: 36339491
                      Private Messages: Send netckc a Private Message

BAN HIM!!!!!

He really thought noone would notice

Comment

quote:

...Damned imposter , using hard blankspaces (#160) in the name, I really hoped for Windows after his vote. I hope that MarkG will ban him...

...JESUS he is fake when I clicked on his profile I came up with netckc's...

Oh, this really is appaling! Who could betray us in such a way?

I demand the culprit be banned with maximum ritual disgrace. Whoever you are, never darken these forums again!! Shame on you!!
                        [This message has been edited by JosefGiven (edited May 13, 2001).]
                        A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

There is a reason why Jeffrey Morris's profile shows 0 posts... The "fake" log on was caught quickly and disabled

------------------
                          Ming
                          ACS Civ II & OT Forum Moderator
                          Ming@Apolyton.net
                          Keep on Civin'
                          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Civ3: Windowed mode?
                            OptionVotes / Percentage
                            Yes 160 / 68%
                            No 42 / 17%
                            Dont care 32 / 13%
                            Total Votes: 234
                            View Comments
                            Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                            Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                            giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Working...
                            X