No announcement yet.

Civ II for Mac: OS X or Carbon/Classic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ II for Mac: OS X or Carbon/Classic?

While I'm sure the decision has already been made by the marketing guys at Inforgames, I'm curious to hear the preferences of fellow Mac users: Which OS would you prefer MacSoft to develop for, OS X or a Carbonized Classic? My assumption is that a carbon classic would be playable on either OS X or 9.1, but without the new X features.

My vote is for X! My noted absence from Civ lately (aside from Cub Scouts) is mostly due to my becoming an 'nix head! I REALLY think there is HUGE potential in this new platform/OS for the Mac community and 'nix users in general. Plus I really like the idea of having a MP game crash and relaunch without having to reboot the computer!

------------------
    Be what you is and not what you is not. Folks who do that are the happiest lot!
    - Mr. Wizard the Lizard,
    "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow! It'll soon be here!" - Fleetwood Mac

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

I am not sure, as of now I don't have MacOS X (I have to convince my dad to buy it), it is rather simmilar to Linux (unix), right?
    I allways thought it nice to get a coredup instead of a crash (on my linux)...
    This post isn't very clear, becouse I am not sure what I want...
    Perhaps both
    No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Lawrence of Arabia

Weeelll... I need an excuse for my dad to buy for me OS X, so i guess that where i cast my vote.
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Re: Civ II for Mac: OS X or Carbon/Classic?

Originally posted by MacUser
        My assumption is that a carbon classic would be playable on either OS X or 9.1, but without the new X features.
        Let me clarify that statement. I double checked, a "Carbon" application is a "native" OS X application that will run in OS 9.1 if the Carbon Lib extension is present. It would run natively in OS X but would be missing some of the features of X such as the preemptive multitasking or protected memory (my personal favorite). However, the line from Apple is that a new app would be easier to write in "Cocca", the language which will be both native OS X AND have all the new features, but would only run on X and NOT 9.1. Thus for a totally new app, we will likely see a "Cocca" version, unless the marketing guys think the installed base of OS 9.1 makes a "Carbon" version more profitable. (note, I'm talking somewhat "out of my hat", so if this is only partially correctly -certainly incomplete- please correct me!

edit: add memory comment
        Last edited by MacUser; May 22, 2001, 22:44.

Have you checked out the MacAddict Forums? I'm "Father of the Bar Mitzvah" if you visit!

Comment

Many of the games earlier in the 90s shipped with both Mac and PC on the same disc (Warcraft II). Now, I don't expect the game to fit on one disc with two different versions, but can't they have a version where you can buy both in one box. I own a PC but I use a Mac at work. It would be great to be able to play Civ III on both without having to buy the game seperately.

As for which version of Mac, I vote OS X. It is oftly smooth and reliable.
          About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Something else occurs to me. If MacSoft writes in "Cocca" (OS X), then it would be very easy to recompile the source for Linux; extra profit for minimal effort! Or maybe the other way around: write in objective C for Linux and compile for OS X. Either way I predict marketed versions for both OS X and Linux! (note to real programers: yeah, I readily accept the fact that I may not know what I'm talking about! )

edit illiterate spelling
            Last edited by MacUser; May 23, 2001, 07:18.

Comment

Working...
            X