Good graphics == good game!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Civ1 had next to no diplomacy or trade, but succeeded because the graphics were the best that has ever been seen in a civ-type game to date.

Hm, since Civ1 was the first real civ-type game it was easy to have the "best" gfx of that type at its time...

------------------
    Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
    Blah

Comment

Personally, I have had (almost) as much fun playing older games that were deep and involving but used character-based graphics as modern-day games.

Of course graphics are nice, but how many times have you seen a game that looked GREAT but the gameplay mechanics were so poor it wasn't worth playing.

One comment about the graphics being too light or, as someone put it, "washed out"; I would rather have the background terrain be LESS striking so that I can more easily pick out my units and other objects that may be of more immediate interest and possibly more immediate danger.

Face it, the games can get pretty cluttered once they get rolling. A reviewer of Age of Empires II on StrategyFirst said, "Age of Kings can look a little bland and washed out before you fill the screen with buildings and military units, but this same sparseness makes its interface clean and effective." And that's all I have to say about that.

SCROLLING LISTS: Few things are more distracting from gameplay that having to position the mouse on a little arrow and click once, twice (dang I should have clicked on the scrollbar!) just to see information that should be visible with a simple glance.
      Your Obedient Serpent

Comment

immersive graphics that make you feel the "atmosphere" and a clean easy-to-use and identify interface.
        yup, whether you want to call it good or effective, it's the ticket!

it's not all that's needed but definitely needed.

Proud Citizen of the Civ 3 Demo Game
        Retired Justice of the Court, Staff member of the War Academy, Staff member of the Machiavelli Institute
        Join the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game! ~ Play the Civ 3 Demo Game $Mini-Game!
        Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux.

Comment

Is it just my imagination, or is this not the 6,819,203rd time this exact same thread w/ all the same issues/arguments has taken place?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Theben on 05-18-2001 04:43 AM
            Would it make you feel better if civ3 had alien wizards armed with plasma rifles?

Only if it was from a first-person perspective.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Frugal_Gourmet on 05-18-2001 06:19 PM
              Is it just my imagination, or is this not the 6,819,203rd time this exact same thread w/ all the same issues/arguments has taken place?

Damned if I know, I've been sleeping.
              <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Working...
              X