Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What exactly does the Sistine Chapel do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Internet seems to have been designed specifically to be such a huge boost. As is recognised by so many on the forums and no doubt by the Firaxis groups, by the time you get the Internet the game is more or less decided. They put in the Internet with all civ's characteristics to allow anyone the chance to have their GA where they missed it before. Chances are that if you haven't had your GA by then you are behind enough that it will act as a way to attempt to improve your lot before the inevitable game end. I haven't built it once in my games yet, but it seems to have been designed so powerful intentionally.

As for the culture improving WoW, remember that in the Double Your Pleasure mod in PtW, the Pyramids add an Obelisk (culture value 1 ) to all your cities. If a WoW can not have the characteristics of increasing culture for a certain improvement, then a reasonably close idea would be to add a Wonder that adds an improvement to all cities that only produces culture, like the Obelisk. The only issue is that you needn't build anything beyond the WoW to get this bonus to culture in your cities.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
      The Internet seems to have been designed specifically to be such a huge boost. As is recognised by so many on the forums and no doubt by the Firaxis groups, by the time you get the Internet the game is more or less decided. They put in the Internet with all civ's characteristics to allow anyone the chance to have their GA where they missed it before. Chances are that if you haven't had your GA by then you are behind enough that it will act as a way to attempt to improve your lot before the inevitable game end. I haven't built it once in my games yet, but it seems to have been designed so powerful intentionally.

As for the culture improving WoW, remember that in the Double Your Pleasure mod in PtW, the Pyramids add an Obelisk (culture value 1 ) to all your cities. If a WoW can not have the characteristics of increasing culture for a certain improvement, then a reasonably close idea would be to add a Wonder that adds an improvement to all cities that only produces culture, like the Obelisk. The only issue is that you needn't build anything beyond the WoW to get this bonus to culture in your cities.
      I tried the DyP mod and in my opinion it is crap. Like most other mods it hugely favours the human player. The Internet wonder follows that same path, and is a much too powerful wonder for single player games. But that is only my opinion, of course.

Comment

I don't think internet is so much powerful just because it appears late in the game... And, in my case, the game is almost always concluded. And I usually go for the upper tech road in Modern Ages... I like preserving nature!

And yes, the Colosseum could be a GW, and the usual colosseum could become Stadium, Theatre or Amphitheatre.

Comment

The interenet actually saved my ass in my last game. I was on monarch difficulty as the Germans. I was on a medium sized continent with the Russians, wiped them out early, but was isolated for a while. When I contacted the other civs, I was way behind in techs and the Koreans had about half of a huge continent. I stopped researching, started buying techs and trading resources/luxuries for tech. I finally almost caught up by the modern age.

The other civs (India, Korea, and Persia) had switched to Communism, but were still ahead in techs. They all took the upper branch to get to synthetic fibers, and were 2 to 3 techs ahead of me. They began to refuse to trade techs with me, even for 6000-7000 gold. I decided to take the bottom route and get to miniturization. Luckily I had a city with an Iron Works and built the internet in about 8 turns. I got the Golden age that I couldn't get wih my Panzers (attacking the other civs would have been disasterous) This boost allowed me to finish my imperial infrastructure, discover genetics (which I traded, along with miniturization for Nuclear power, Ecology and Recycling), allowed me to out research my huge rivals, and finally, allowed me to pull out an amazing space race victory 2 turns before the Persians. There is no way that I could have won without that golden age.
          I'm about to get aroused from watching the pokemon and that's awesome. - Pekka

Comment

A very good example of welcame Internet GW.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrojedi
              I don't think internet is so much powerful just because it appears late in the game... And, in my case, the game is almost always concluded. And I usually go for the upper tech road in Modern Ages... I like preserving nature!

And yes, the Colosseum could be a GW, and the usual colosseum could become Stadium, Theatre or Amphitheatre.
              I agree that the Internet wonder really comes late in the game, but in can save your game, as Wycoff said. But I don't think it's too powerful. You can try to get your GA in the modern ages, but personally, I prefer a medieval one, in which I either conquer a couple of neighbors or pull away with a tech lead...

As for the colosseum, there are many colosseums around the world, not only in Rome. I agree though that almost all of them are located in the former Roman Empire... But making it a GW? I don't think so...

--Kon--
              Get your science News at Konquest Online!

Comment

Well, the largest and most known of all is "the" Rome Colosseum. It is wildly known throughout the world. Others are just "regular colosseums" or "regular stadiums".

Comment

I think calling them stadiums (stadia?) is more appropriate.
                  No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

(stadia?)
                    Right!

Maybe firaxis should add also Backside Basketball Court, and make it also help diminish corruption. Maybe 10%? Or perhaps a minor wonder, such as Social Inclusion Program (-10% corruption/waste in all cities).

Comment

what about Maracana?
                      Sos groso, sabelo!
                      "Yo a mis equipos los coloco bien el la cancha, lo que pasa es que cuando empieza el partido los jugadores se mueven" - Alfio "Coco" Basile

"En el fútbol la que manda es la pelota" - Ángel Cappa

Comment

Famous over here. I never heard any gringo or europeu asking about it.

Comment

Macarana?
                          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

See? Mad Monk seems not to know what is Maracana.

Simply, it is the soccer stadium with the largest public capacity of the world, and probably of all sports as well. Originally built during the 1950's, it had capacity for more than 200.000 souls to cheer and applause our talented national team. Lots of reformulations and reforming during early 1990's gave it lower capacity but a more desirable structure security and better seats.

It's not the best of the world (which are now almost all in the Far East), but is impressive. It is a nice reference spot in a plane, and can be easily seen up in the Cristo Redentor's hill.

PS: Apolyton is culture.

Comment

Working...
                            X