Gamespot has new preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gamespot has new preview

Gamespot has a new preview, haven't read it all the way through yet but some cleaned up screenshots from old mag scans. Check this one out in particular:

Gamespot Screen 1

It shows the Baltimore city-screen from CGW, but you can see better. There's artillery units placed all along the highways, and also the roads are no actual paved roads, not just the old dirt-paths. In addition it appears as if there are small towns outside of the city-radius. Can't tell what the are, any ideas?
    [This message has been edited by SerapisIV (edited May 16, 2001).]

Nothing new otherwise in terms of screenshots, but E3 is only 24 hours away!

Comment

quote:

From Gamespot

Brute military force is no longer the only option you have for conquering enemy civilizations--now you can join together through culture.

Civilizations joining through culture? This sounds like the old CivI feature of "Enemy City X amazaed by the glory of your City Y, decides to join your civ" or something like that, or could it be something different. Culture wars?

Comment

quote:

Gamespot
        "Suppose I have four elephants and my friend the Egyptian has no elephants--they want the elephants because they make people happy," Briggs explained.

The Egyptians are a civ in the game

Comment

Hey,
          in the picture pyramids is an improwment liks colosseum or aqveduct.

What happened to pyramids being an secret project???

Comment

No it isn't. The wonders are also pictured in the City view...
            Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
            Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Snapcase on 05-16-2001 09:23 AM
              No it isn't. The wonders are also pictured in the City view...

Yeah, stupid me who forgotten something that essential...
              Thx, for the fast reply.

Comment

quote:

Most of the work on the visual side of Civilization III seems to be near completion. Firaxis has made a few subtle adjustments to clean up various interfaces so that they don't break your connection to the game.

Well, looks like any screenshots we get tomorrow from E3 will be 95% of the screenshots we see when we actually play the game.

Comment

quote:

Firaxis and Infogrames are currently aiming for a winter 2001 release for Civilization III

Translation: we're aiming for Xmas 2001, but don't hold your breath.

Damn my girlfriend is gonna be pissed when I miss Valentines Day because CivIII just came out.

Comment

There are several things about that screenshot that just look very odd to me. Most things in the illuminated area look washed out and it is not clear why.
                    To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                    H.Poincaré

Comment

Civ3 is going to rock! I love what they have done with trade, ressources and culture. I can't wait to play it.

It looks like civ3 will play very differently than what we were used to. A lot of the usual strategies probably won't work so well anymore.
                      Hopefully we will see more screenshots from E3, especially the diplo screen and the other advisor screens.

------------------
                      No permanent enemies, no permanent friends.
                      [This message has been edited by The diplomat (edited May 16, 2001).]
                      'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
                      G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Grumbold on 05-16-2001 09:52 AM
                        There are several things about that screenshot that just look very odd to me. Most things in the illuminated area look washed out and it is not clear why.

Oh, totally. It's as if there were two screenshots superimposed on each other. What are those vague figures? What's that blue haze at the bottom? Why are there two roads on the same stretch, one faded out? Why is the Oil resource so massive?
                        Världsstad - Dom lokala genrenas vän
                        Mick102, 102,3 Umeå, Måndagar 20-21

Comment

Along those lines, how come it state the year as 1997AD, yet says Baltimore, established 2001?

I'm not really looking at the screenshot as a regular city-management screen, we had it as a screenshot too long ago for that, I'm just using as a line into finding units, general graphic asnwers and game concepts.

There is a battleship in NE corner of the screenshot. ALso the howitzer units confuse me. Anti-aircraft guns?

Most confusing to me is the small buildings just outside the city radius. What are they? Colonies? The firaxis tutorial said colonies disappear when national borders overtake them, and by 1997, you should have borders that reach outside your city radius.

Comment

Taking a look at the resources in the top right, they appear to be

(top row from left to right)
                            horses (or deer), elephants (or ivory), fish, cattle, gems (or diamonds), ???, wheat, wine (or grapes).

(bottom row left to right)
                            coal?, gold, oil?, spices (look like salt, pepper, etc), paper, ???, thread (or cloth), ???

Comment

It'll be SO complicated that neither my IQ nor my computer will be able to handle it...
                              'We note that your primitive civil-^
                              ization has not even discovered^
                              $RPLC1. Do you care^
                              to exchange knowledge with us?'^
                              _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
                              _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
                              X