No announcement yet.

The Effects of War on the landscape

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think battles have any real effects on landscape per se. Improvements maybe, but not on the terrain.

Now don't land units have the ability to destroy improvements already? Maybe Firaxis can extend the number of nasty things they can do, like salting the fields or something.

No need for hit points and complicated stuff.
    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Re: Time Erosion

Originally posted by DarkCloud
      The war should have an erosive effect.
      One war on tile x does nothing
      Two wars on tile x gives it 10% less yield
      Three wars on tile x gives it 20% less yield
      This increases with 15% less yield per year.
      But it receeds 5% for every 10 years with no war on the tile.
      About half a year ago I suggested something like this. Though in a different context. My idea is that infrastructure on a tile which has been left "undone" , which it is not being worked on for some time, will start to deteriorate and in the end will vanish completely. That's what happened to a lot of places during wartime in the past and even now.
      f.i. During the 30-year war (1618 - 1648) in Germany there were parts of Saxony and Frankenland which were completely depopulated due to the war and everything that came with it (plundering, disease). That made some parts of the cultivated landscape over the years completely turn "wild" again. And even now there are still parts which have remained in that condition (and are given the status of nature resort).

In principle I like your idea I would apply it like this.

one turn ündone > no effect
      two turns > 25% less yield and loss of infrastructure (whatever there is to be found on a tile); one turn repair
      four turns > 50% less yield and loss of infrastructure; two turn repairs
      eight turns > complete loss of yield and infrastructure; full repair time

Comment

Repairs

I think it should repair over time- and you have an option of repairing it yourself.

Roads should have to be repaired and Rails should as well as any man-made improvements, but the land itself should 'heal' itself and its forests or plains from a charred wasteland over time.
        -->Visit CGN!
        -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

I think you're right.
          Having to do all the repairs would mean extra micromanagement.

Comment

Since we now have exhausting resources, War does effect the landscape by consuming too much iron, etc. and destroying that mine. In the past, huge forests have been choped away to build warships, so if we have 'wood' as a resource, we'll sure be having expiring forests.
            'We note that your primitive civil-^
            ization has not even discovered^
            $RPLC1. Do you care^
            to exchange knowledge with us?'^
            _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
            _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

Working...
            X