Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I build a city on a luxery resource will I get credit for it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I build a city on a luxery resource will I get credit for it?

Will I get any bonus trade arrows and will I get the happiness bonus from it?

Is there a disadvantage to building a city on a resource?

I did notice that it's still not good to build a city on a shielded grassland. Same as in civ2.

I just wanted to build on the luxery resource to utilize another resource nearby. This is the only square that can utilize all of the resources.

Just wondering.

yes, you get the trade and happines bonus to that city, and the happiness bonus to all cities connected to it via road, harbour or airport.
    I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

sounds good, thanks

Comment

what the hell is shielded grassland supposed to be anyway?
        Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

It's a grassland with better AC (armor class) than non-shielded grassland.

Comment

Originally posted by aaglo

Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind- bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.
            Douglas Adams (Influential author)

Comment

Re: If I build a city on a luxery resource will I get credit for it?

Originally posted by Dissident
              Is there a disadvantage to building a city on a resource?
              As others have answered, you get the strategic resource/luxury benefit, which is the most important part.

However, a city tiles always produce 2 food and at least one shield, so building a city on any resource that gives additional food/shield effectively wastes these food/shields - it is much better to work on the tiles with citizens.

Ex: Wines give one additional food, but this bonus is wasted if you build a city on the wine tile.
              If you cut off my head, what do I say?
              Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

Like theNiceOne said. But remember, you still get the commerce bonus.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure anymore...

If you build a city on top of a gold deposit (not lux/strg resource), you get the commerce bonus.... I'll have to check on this...

Comment

aaglo:

You do get the commerce bonus from luxuries also. You only lose food and shields. Which is one reason I will never build a city on a Wheat or Cattle tile.
                  * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                  * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                  * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                  * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Like theNiceOne said. But remember, you still get the commerce bonus.

Actually, now that I think of it, I'm not sure anymore...

If you build a city on top of a gold deposit (not lux/strg resource), you get the commerce bonus.... I'll have to check on this...
                    You get both shield and commerce bonuses, just not the food.

Comment

Also, if it's next to a river, there is a thac0 modifier

Comment

That's correct, you get shields and trade, plus the resource 'credit', but food remians, as always, two.
                        No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

ok thanks.

yeah it is one of those purple things. I think they are dyes or something

You can see how closely I follow luxery resources. I don't care what they are. I just want as many as I can get.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
                            That's correct, you get shields and trade, plus the resource 'credit', but food remians, as always, two.
                            No, it remains the amount needed by each of your citizens. If you raised the food requirement to three, then your home square would also give you three food.

Comment

Not only do you get the Luxury benefit, but you don't have to build a road to it!
                              I had to stretch, but that is the only bonus that I could see about building atop a resource--unless the other squares around it make it otherwise appealing.
                              "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                              X