Which civs should be in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which civs should be in?

Firaxis' decision to limit number of available civs to 7 has caused much consternation. To me, however, decision to have only 16 civs to choose from is bit more dire. I don't know, I just want to have many cultures with those spiffy leader faces as possible. Also, having Firaxis design them gives them the 'official' feel that player-made civs would inevitably lack. And we can't forget that this means Firaxis would have to drop 5 of Civ2 civs (and that's assuming they haven't taken any new ones in.)

So, what's your 'civ list'? If we ignore all the info of what civs will be in that Firaxis has given us, mine would be:

Americans
    Germans
    French
    Russians
    Mayas (replacing Aztecs as 'the' Native American civilization.)
    Ethiopians (replacing Zulus as 'the' African civilization.)
    Egyptians
    Chinese
    Indians
    Japanese
    Mongols
    English
    Romans
    Greek
    Babylonians
    Arabs

Yargh! This still means we'd have to forget about Civs like Persians, Spanish, Incas, Mali, Assyrians, Vikings, Turks, Aztecs, Zulus, Celts and many, many more! Can't stand it
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Major Civs

Americans
    Inca (they were a lot bigger than Aztec + mayas together)
    English
    French
    German
    Russian
    Mongols
    Indians
    Chinese
    Japanses
    Zulus
    Egyptians
    Romans
    Greeks
    Sioux
    Babylonians

------------------
    Its okay to smile; you're in America now
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I want all the three great American civs - Aztecs, Incas and Mayas, but I would also like to see the Jewish in there. With others, I don't care so much.

------------------
      Solver the "Running Beer" - http://www.aok.20m.com
      Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
      I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Rather then Jewish civ I think you mean a Hebrew civ, ******.

Comment

Egyptians
          Babylonians
          Indians
          Chinese
          Greeks
          Persians
          Romans
          Franks/Carolingians/French
          Germans
          Spanish
          English/British
          Russians
          Mongols
          Incas
          Americans
          Turks or Arabs?

I would like to see a lot more, though... -Sadly, we know the Zulus are in... We will probably not see The Incas, Turks or Arabs either. -Damn, I want as many Civs as possible TO CHOOSE FROM!!!
          We shall go on till the end,
          We shall fight in France,
          We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
          We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
          We shall defend our island,
          Whatever the cost may be,
          We shall fight on the beaches,
          We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
          We shall fight in the hills,
          We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

Its confirmed that a viking longship is added to the game. Would it be farfetched to belive that they added vikings as an all-in-one people for Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Finland?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by jadlakha on 04-28-2001 03:05 PM
              Rather then Jewish civ I think you mean a Hebrew civ, ******.

Why not change "******" to instead? One thing I like with this forum is the general absence of name-calling. Lets keep it that way, shall we.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 04-28-2001 04:40 PM
                Why not change "******" to instead? One thing I like with this forum is the general absence of name-calling. Lets keep it that way, shall we.

I totally agree. Change it NOW!

------------------
                - SilverDragon, scourge of the western skies

Email me at
                SilverDragon141@aol.com

Comment

My vote would be for:
                  United States
                  Aztecs
                  Inca
                  Argentine
                  Roman
                  Celtic
                  British
                  German
                  Spanish
                  Geeek
                  Egyptian
                  Arabs
                  Zulu
                  Chinese
                  Indian
                  Mongol

Still a little euro-heavy for my tastes, maybe the following instead -

United States
                  Argentine
                  Inca
                  Maya
                  Aztec
                  Roman
                  Greek
                  Celtic
                  European Union (replacing all medieval to moden euro powers)
                  Arab
                  Persian
                  Eygptian
                  Zulu
                  Chinese
                  Indian
                  Mongol

Comment

Most of the lists given here are OK. I just think that 16 is just not enough. But I understand Firaxis, they want to give specific things to each civ.

Mister Pleasant, you say that's it's to Euro-heavy. But you just have to admit that European culture is the base of the current society. Then of course, there were some South-american en Asian civ's, but not many.
                    I don't like your European-Union idea, as 'Europe' is not one culture. It's very diverse.
                    In fact, if we are objective, the US shoudn't be included at all! The US is no real 'civilization'. But of course, we have to please everyone.

Well, thats it!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by bertje121 on 04-28-2001 05:15 PM
                      Mister Pleasant, you say that's it's to Euro-heavy. But you just have to admit that European culture is the base of the current society.

I agree. One shouldnt garble historic/present day realities, just because 19-century colonialism and 2 major wars, perhaps have made it "politically incorrect" to emphasize the huge impact that european culture has brought about - mainly from the renaissance and forwards, but also (dont forget) from ancient Roman and Greek cultures. Whether one likes it or not, the selection of civs should be a little "Euro-heavy", I think. Its only fair.

Comment

I have a question .... Do we know for a FACT that we will only have 16 civilizations to choose from? Of course, I'm assuming that these would be the "major" civilizations.

The number of "minor" civilizations which can be in play opens up a whole new issue
                        "One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                        "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

European civilizations have made important contributions to the world along with African, Arabic, Asian, and American Indian civilizations.

Anyway, my list would be to include 25 civilizations to choose from, not 16.

------------------
                          "I should like to know if taking this old Declaration of Independence, which declares that all men are equal upon principle, making exceptions to it -- where will it stop? If one man says it does not mean a Negro, why does not another say it does not mean some other man?"
                          -- Abraham Lincoln's quote, and his anti-racist ideals
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I liked the original 14 from CivI plus Arabs and Inca.
                            *grumbles about work*

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 04-28-2001 06:43 PM
                              I agree. One shouldnt garble historic/present day realities, just because 19-century colonialism and 2 major wars, perhaps have made it "politically incorrect" to emphasize the huge impact that european culture has brought about - mainly from the renaissance and forwards, but also (dont forget) from ancient Roman and Greek cultures. Whether one likes it or not, the selection of civs should be a little "Euro-heavy", I think. Its only fair.

But all of that is the result of Geographical and Geobiological factors. Civ is supposed be able to start any civilization anywhere, so it's wrong to penalise the Mali just beacuse they happened to start in a contitent with a north-south axis, with no domesticable species of animals and very few plants, with desert to the north and jungle to the south, and some 3000 years after the fertile crecent civilizations.

My choices:

Americans
                              British
                              Russians
                              Mongols
                              Chinese
                              Spanish
                              Vikings
                              Incas
                              Aztecs
                              Mali
                              Kush
                              Egyptians
                              Austronesians
                              Babylonians
                              Arabs
                              Magyars

(Vikings are in purely because I'm scandinavian, Magyars because I'm half finno-urgic, the others are three from each continent, except asia which has five (south east, east, central, and two western.)

Comment

Working...
                              X