X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scouting: is it in?

A little tidbit from the civ3 page:

quote:

A few subtleties have been added, such as sighting bonuses from mountains and hills, but Civ-veterans will find the terrain system quite familiar.

A sighting bonus? That doesn't sound to me like an extra square to see things, but an increase to some % chance of detecting the enemy. As per our wishes.

Is that what it is? Could someone from Firaxis fill us in? And what other possible unit commands/abilities will be offered?

I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

quote:

Originally posted by Theben on 05-12-2001 03:12 PM
    A sighting bonus? That doesn't sound to me like an extra square to see things, but an increase to some % chance of detecting the enemy.

I believe (and hope) that it is "extra squares to see things" - probably both then uncovering blacked-out squares with scouts and spotting oncoming enemy-units with mountain-fortressed guard-units. I dont like percentage-outcome chances - it just provokes the spineless reload-saved-game routine. Should be avoided as much as reasonably possible throughout the entire game.

[This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 12, 2001).]

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 05-12-2001 04:42 PMI dont like percentage-outcome chances - it just provokes the spineless reload-saved-game routine.
      [This message has been edited by Ralf (edited May 12, 2001).]

I don't think anybody would be "cheap" enough to do that in a game, Ralf, so you needn't worry about that. I must agree with you, though, that I also prefer more deterministic rules rather than percentage chances.
      Rome rules

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ralf on 05-12-2001 04:42 PM
        I dont like percentage-outcome chances - it just provokes the spineless reload-saved-game routine. Should be avoided as much as reasonably possible throughout the entire game.

I don't like % outcome chances either, IF the % chance is known to the player (one of the things I disliked about SMAC combat). But an unknown % is IMHO much better than auto-detecting a band of warriors 300 miles away. I would be very happy to have armies & fleets pass thru the same square w/o seeing each other.
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
        X