Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How will special units for each civ balance one another?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was hoping that all of these 'special units' could be researched as minor techs. It would be a lot more realistic that way.

------------------
    Its okay to smile; you're in America now
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

I agree, Yog Sothoth. But, who knows...maybe Sid will come up with some super special way of doing unique units...fingers crossed!!
      If the voices in my head paid rent, I'd be a very rich man

Comment

What if these unique units are just "unique" by the way they look? We don't know anything about them (specs), we just saw some of them in the screenshots. Will that make everybody happy? ... same units (attack, defense, ...), but with different look which still gives a certain uniqueness.

Just a thought ...
        There is but one safe way to avoid mistakes: To do nothing or at least, to avoid doing something new.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by King Richard on 04-29-2001 12:42 AM
          Options are always good! We'll probably get SMAC +++, there were quite a few options in SMAC as far as I can remember?

There were tons of options in SMAC. Overwhelming at times. It took five minutes of reading all the options before you could even start the game. Sometimes too many options is worse than too few options.

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by tniem on 05-09-2001 01:49 PM
            There were tons of options in SMAC. Overwhelming at times. It took five minutes of reading all the options before you could even start the game. Sometimes too many options is worse than too few options.

Then just play with the default options - no time wasted. I want even more options than SMAC had - maximize customizability. However, make certain there is a 'default settings' option to immediately play the game.

Comment

Civ specific units might be balanced if every civ was given a unit for each age... this certainly fixes the "Zulu problem", but brings up another one: Some civs have not survived into the modern age... so what are the Zulus and Aztecs going to have for modern units?

------------------
              - Cyclotron7, "that supplementary resource fanatic"
              Lime roots and treachery!
              "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

no russian MiGs Are better!

Comment

I can't predict the future and I won't try. I also won't throw bad ideas out to get shot down ( ). I'll just wait it out and trust in the almighty Sid.

------------------
                  "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
                  -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

they wont be balanced. No one can playtest the strategies that players will come up with that the desingers havent envisioned.

Can anyone say "teuton town centers"?

LOTM
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by cyclotron7 on 05-09-2001 06:23 PM
                      Civ specific units might be balanced if every civ was given a unit for each age... this certainly fixes the "Zulu problem", but brings up another one: Some civs have not survived into the modern age... so what are the Zulus and Aztecs going to have for modern units?

AOE gave the Sumerians iron age units, despite the sumerians being gone before actual iron age began.

once you do something as ahistorical as unique units, who cares about the aztec modern units?
                      its "only a game" after all.

LOTM

"A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Civ-specific units in that form COULD be a disaster, but we can't know for sure yet. What I would like is civ-specific graphics (and/or sounds) as an option, rather than whole units.

------------------
                        "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
                        -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Working...
                        X