• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Manual primer 101:

1) don't forget the index

2) don't forget the table of contents

3) don't forget to explain everything in the game

4) don't forget to make it BIG and THICK and READABLE...

Geesh, you'd think I wouldn't have to say this, but game companies STILL put out thin manuals WITHOUT indexes

BTW, I enjoy my computer so much, I wish I could bring it into the bathroom - it's just that the electricity/water thingy tends to intrude upon the experience... still...

------------------
    Go tell the Spartans, passerby:
    That here, obedient to their laws, we lie.
    [This message has been edited by Leonidas (edited April 24, 2001).]

Comment

Hah! Good luck. The new standardised packaging (a DVD package with twice the depth) hardly allows any manual at all, let alone a bound or Civ1 sized one. If you're lucky, you might get one half the size of Civ2. No, you will get a rudimentary manual printed in really small, unreadable type, and an ad to buy the official stategy guide for another $4.99...

Comment

What standardised packaging?

I want a large printed manual that explains everything. I don't want to shell out more $$$ just to master the game, or at least win on the most difficult level.

They could have everything else - e.g. info for scenario makers - in electronic form.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I love the big chunky manuals of civ1 & 2! I like the idea of reading it on the toilet, in bed etc. Besides; it's good to have it around and read it while playing the game. My eyes gets tired by reading too much on my screen! I don't think that the "standardized package" will be used for civ3, or any strategy game that needs a big manual. We can only hope.
          We shall go on till the end,
          We shall fight in France,
          We shall fight on the seas and oceans,
          We shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air,
          We shall defend our island,
          Whatever the cost may be,
          We shall fight on the beaches,
          We shall fight in the fields and in the streets,
          We shall fight in the hills,
          We shall NEVER surrender.

(Winston Churchill)

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 04-25-2001 06:26 AM
            What standardised packaging?

http://www.iemag.com/news/daily/3_26_00/index.asp

Comment

Won't fly.
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 04-25-2001 11:50 AM
                Won't fly.

Why not? In the UK I'd estimate about 50% of publishers use this kind of packaging (actually, standard DVD packaging), and over half of the games I've bought in the last few months have the new type packaging.

Comment

The manual shouldn't be bigger then the bookshelf above the pillowend of my bed. I would like it if I'd be woken up and being (s)mashed by my civ-manual falling down from it.

I've actually never used the civ-II manual because, when I bought civ-II, I bought, with a special offer price, the gold-version with an extra CD with scenario's and !!!!! the CIV-strategybook. I've always used that one.

A good civilopedia would do for me. Not like it's being done in CTP.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gammaray fan on 04-23-2001 02:17 AM
                    Remember the big FAT manuel from Civ1? It was like a bible with a history lesson (basically), and all the necessary info about the game, (and unnecessary info - like info on how leaders were really like as well as their temperament in the game)
                    There has been a disturbing trend lately to size down manuels, and move most of it onto electronic format, but this should be avoided in civ3.
                    I want to see an all new and improved big FAT manuel. In fact I wouldn't mind if it was even CHUNKIER!!!

Yeah, the bigger the manual, the better... maybe some of you play Age Of Wonders... it's quite a big manual here, but its content is totally feeble.

I want YOU to give us a big manual!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Urban Ranger on 04-26-2001 12:20 PM
                      I haven't seen any games packaged that way around here. Any big hits (e.g. Europa Universalis, Black&White) packed like that in your area?

The reasons I think it won't fly are:

1. Customers hate it.
                      2. Publishers hate it.

You can't pack games in a double depth DVD box. There's no room for posters, manuals, and other items.

Both Black and White and Europa Universalis are packed like this here. And most customers don't buy Manual-heavy games, Publishers actually like it and there has been lots of preassure from stores...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Ceci n'est pas Snapcase on 04-24-2001 05:05 PM
                        Hah! Good luck. The new standardised packaging (a DVD package with twice the depth) hardly allows any manual at all, let alone a bound or Civ1 sized one...

Did you notice, though, that in the article you referred to ( http://www.iemag.com/news/daily/3_26_00/index.asp ), as part of the "PC Game Box Standardization Recommendation", the second bulleted paragraph states that "Boxes may be double-thick to afford the space necessary for multiple disks or manuals..."!

If this new standard does come into effect, let's just hope Firaxis apply clause 2 and do give us a BIG, THICK, CHUNKY MANUAL!!!!

Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
                        Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

The size of the Civ3 manual should be limited only by excessive expense and the amount of relevant material possible to put in it. In other words, let's have a manual that is as big as Firaxis needs it to be. A thin manual with no substance is as bad as a huge one with watered down, vacuous content just to make it bigger.

------------------
                          - Cyclotron7, "that supplementary resource fanatic"
                          Lime roots and treachery!
                          "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

with the new size implimentation of the package, does that mean that my map is going to be folded even more times! grrrr!

Comment

I haven't seen any games packaged that way around here. Any big hits (e.g. Europa Universalis, Black&White) packed like that in your area?

The reasons I think it won't fly are:

1. Customers hate it.
                              2. Publishers hate it.

You can't pack games in a double depth DVD box. There's no room for posters, manuals, and other items.

Comment

I once knew a fat Spanish waiter... now he really WAS a big chunky Manuel.

But seriously, in the U.K virtually all of our manuals are in DVD boxes, and I for one can't stand them or the boxes, too. Never again to get a manual bigger than the size of your hand and certainly no thicker than a CD (don't forget thats got to fit inside the box as well). As for posters, maps and other gimmicks, like 'em or not, they're out - unless a poster the size of a stamp is what you're after.

Another thing is that Jewel cases are out as a result of this, meaning that if you want to store your games you either have to buy your own or keep them in the bigger (than the Jewel) DVD box. Fallout Tactics CDs came in a little flappy plastic folder and kept falling out!!!

Either way, customers lose out to marketing and production costs. Grrr!

[This message has been edited by Old Beardy (edited April 27, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                                X