Are "shallows" IN???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are "shallows" IN???

In a recent thread there was discussion of the possibility of transforming ocean tiles into land (as in the reclamation of land from the sea in the Netherlands) - see Terraforming sea tiles?

One conclusion from this was that for it to realistic, there would have to be a distinction between true sea (or deep lakes), and shallow water ("shallows"), that could be reclaimed.

Now have a look at the two main map preview screens we've seen so far (the ones with cities, not the units preview): notice the one-tile-width of lighter-coloured water all along the sea coast, as well as for the lakes?

Could these indeed be a different terrain-type - equivalent to what we've been calling shallows? If so, dare we hope that these shallows might be 'transformable' into land (under rigorous conditions - see the original thread)??

What do people think?

[This message has been edited by Ilkuul (edited April 29, 2001).]
    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

I would be nice if the shallows are actually in the game so that you can "eventually" claim the shallows as land.

Comment

I am totally for a shallows tile. And (looking at the pictures and seeing some terrains overlapping other terrains) ice bergs as well. Of course shallows wouldn't exist under ice bergs, though.
      I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Hah! So land reclamation has been possible all along in SMAC? I never knew that (not having played the game) - and some people familiar with SMAC argued very strongly against reclamation in the previous thread! Oh well...

But if this was in AC, it does give me hope that they'll retain it in Civ3!
        Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
        Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

I thought SMAC handled it very nicely. Yes, you could turn deep-sea ocean to land, but it was unbelievably expensive. It was far, far cheaper to raise coastal waters.

Thus you make it so that it's pretty much not possible to reclaim land under deep water, but if you absolutely had to and had lots of resources to burn, it could be done.

--
          Jared Lessl

Comment

When I look at the mapscreens and the screen that shows a city in CGW. My impression is that it is at least three different deeps. And as the Shallows are more then next to land, I think they are in.
            Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

I would love extra terrain types like the highlands, shallows (or seabanks), different sea levels (could be used for changes in the rules of submarine warfare), etc.
              This would also be very valuable for the creation of new scenarios (such as the Dutch war of independence or scenarios based in historic Scotland/Switserland).

Comment

I would love it.
                Since early swiss and dutch history (from their beginnings as a state of theri own) are rather resemblant I would like to play those scenenario's. The different types of terrain would also make different types of strategies necessary.

Comment

Working...
                X