No announcement yet.

Temples and culture points

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

one content face??? the people of berlin were appaled when the wall was built. they though: well communism is alright, and when i don't like it or it starts going wrong i can just nip over the border to west germany.
    but after the wall was built (that was communism going wrong) they felt trapped (and were trapped) in a system they didn't want.
    and it didn't help too much against culture flipping, did it? at first no one thought that east germany would suddenly become reunited. only after the revolution there (tearing down the wall, round tables ect.) did Kohl think: well maybe it is a bad idea, but right now it seems possible, and if i can reunite germany i will be reelected. if there had not been such a feeling of revolution in the air because of the fall of the wall as a symbol of oppression , then germany would probably not have been reunited (at that time). the wall did not help the government that built it much in the end, though of course you could say at first it helped against culture flipping, but the cost of it should be 1 or 2 unhappy faces extra in the city.

(but it is a stupid example, because in civ you can't have half a city and the enemy the other half)

Comment

Sorry, I made the bad example. And even didn't care to explain it right.

I thought it being a good example of freedom and reunion of old lands and brotherhoods, in which case the destroyed Berlin Wall would be a nice touch. Not the actual cold war wall, but the later destroyed one.

It keeps getting more and more complicated, in which case just shows that the good idea isn't that great at all.

Maybe I should work on other examples of good future GW and MW, like Solomon's Palace, Cristo Redentor, Golden Gate Bridge or the Olympics.

Comment

hmmm...but that wonder has to have a function and be special... something like umm... yeah it is really difficult to think of wonders, big or small. because they can't really be just Landmarks (why would a city that's not even next to a river, for example, want the gate bridge for?), unless these had a function, or where incredible important when they were built (culturally as well as politically). but maybe if you limit the gate bridge to cities with rivers, but all it would to would be to increase your base gold production of the city slightly and maybe a tiny bit of culture. but compared to the cost that would not be enough.

maybe something like the Mir would be a good wonder, but of course then there is the problem that there already is something a bit like it which is space victory. you could make it another part required for the space ship, but that's not really anything that would be fun.

there are other wonders, like the Zeus Temple, but they would just be like the Oracle for example and nothing new.
        hmm.. maybe i'll think of some wonders later...

Comment

I think the culture is one of the great achievments from firaxis in this game. It has never been tried out before, and is working almost perfectly.

And giving all old buildings points seems ok, but in civ3, nearly every city got a wall, barracks, so you wouldn`t be very surprised if you were a tourist in another city and you saw the wall. But since there so few walls left in the world it is gaining "cultural points" in the real world.

you find libraries, universities, cathedrals and so on as well, but they are different all over the world. containing different matereal and different religions.
          this makes the structures special for each civ more than a wall or barracks would have done.

Not saying that the cultural system is perfect, but changing it needs a lot of discussion and thought, cause it`s working quite well in my opinion
          to get away from the world, I use my computer.
          to reach out to the world, I use the Internet.
          To play the world, I use Civ III

Comment

Not saying that the cultural system is perfect, but changing it needs a lot of discussion and thought, cause it`s working quite well in my opinion
            I'm not against it at all as well, and have the same opinions, Albert. The subject was raised when we commented that maybe a really old barracks should have some cultural worth, since it has a great history behind it. Think Sparta, Pearl Harbor, Pensacola or any other military city/facility which had some form of participation in famous wars, crisises or combats.

hmmm...but that wonder has to have a function and be special... something like umm... yeah it is really difficult to think of wonders, big or small. because they can't really be just Landmarks (why would a city that's not even next to a river, for example, want the gate bridge for?), unless these had a function, or where incredible important when they were built (culturally as well as politically). but maybe if you limit the gate bridge to cities with rivers, but all it would to would be to increase your base gold production of the city slightly and maybe a tiny bit of culture. but compared to the cost that would not be enough.
            That's why I said it could be a minor wonder, instead of a great one. It's important to think something new about these things, since giving, for example, a slight gold bonus, some culture and requiring a river to build it will make the Golden Gate Bridge look like the modern version of the Colossus. Even thinking that way, then we should use a similar figure, like the Statue of Liberty.

maybe something like the Mir would be a good wonder, but of course then there is the problem that there already is something a bit like it which is space victory. you could make it another part required for the space ship, but that's not really anything that would be fun.
            A fun thing would be a great wonder, such as The Spy Satellite, which would require several technologies to develop, or even be a new one. It's capability would be reveal a limited part of the map as if you were using the "Steal Enemy Plans" spy mission. It could be a small area, such as 5x5 squares or even smaller, and would be usable only once every turn.

When it comes to thinking about these things, it's all about new stuff. Old parts of spaceships we are all just too loaded with 'em. I personally hate the Spacerace Victory, and always played Bloodlust games.

there are other wonders, like the Zeus Temple, but they would just be like the Oracle for example and nothing new.
            Ah, thinking about the other forgotten old ones, huh? The Statue of Zeus, Temple of Artemis, Halicarnassus' Mausoleum...
            Yeah, they are all just variations of themes. If I were having any ideas about things and protests that shook the world (like the Universal Suffrage), maybe the Bolchevic Revolution, the Bridge Tower, the Cristo Redentor (I insist, this one would be a good one), the Empire State Building or the Simon Bolivar Journey would be a nice start.

Comment

A spy satellite should be simple enough:

A cheap 'aircraft' with recon (ONLY!) and some rediculous range -- or not so rediculous, if you want to call it 'geosynchonous'.
              No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

There's nothing wrong with having wonders that do the same thing. Right now I have a mod with six wonders that do essentially the same thing (based on The Colossus), with minor additions to spice it up a bit.

Comment

Well, there's nothing "wrong" about anything in the game, I would say there's just disagreements. I personally think it's not nice adding wonders with the same bonuses, because it takes their "uniqueness" features out. But, if you like it, then you like it.

I always had problems with the Colossus. Never appreciated its bonus. The only value that I give to it is its property to be avoided by the AI, which leaves me with a potential "free wonder" that they just leave to me to build.

Comment

Did you that that particular bonus...stacks?

Comment

Yes, I realize it can have stackable effects and how amazing it can be to commerce and income. I still like more uniqueness than über-ultra-utility. As I said, when it comes to this point, it gets pretty personal and every idea can be considered "right", as long as the player like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexnm
                        I'm glad to see you found the answer by yourself.
                        And within the same minute.

Comment

About a small wonder, I do not know how to name th ewonder but I would like to have one that will allow my air planes to make bombardments only on units, no buildings no improvements. Presize strike is a good one and have its usefulness, but I would like a presize one on Units.
                          It could be made like some addon to the UN, lets say after someone builds UN, others could build peacekeeping resolutions and start bombarding other players units: "Trying to take down the evil dictator and free his people."

Comment

I'm not sure (I'm at work, so I don't have access to the editor), but I believe you can make a building a prerequisite for building a certain unit. This would be in the unit's page, not the building's.

Comment

Originally posted by pedrojedi
                              Yes, I realize it can have stackable effects and how amazing it can be to commerce and income. I still like more uniqueness than über-ultra-utility. As I said, when it comes to this point, it gets pretty personal and every idea can be considered "right", as long as the player like it.
                              But of course.

Comment

I had also this added culture idea on other old buildings - especially Coastal fortresses. It increases their worthiness.
                                I'm not a complete idiot: some parts are still missing.

Comment

Working...
                                X