Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Air units should be able to use Airports!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air units should be able to use Airports!

That's just my suggestion du jour. Fighters and Bombers and other air units should be able to instantly transport via Airports just like ground units. It's only reasonable, and it would help balance out the gross inequity between ground units and navy/air.

(You may wish to limit this. For example, tactical nukes and ICBMs might be an exception to this rule.)
    "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Couldn't agree more!
    Ilkuul

Every time you win, remember: "The first shall be last".
    Every time you lose, remember: "The last shall be first".

Comment

I disagree. Air units have a limited range. The idea of airlifting anywhere in the world is already strange without having to airlift airplanes.

------------------
      Its okay to smile; you're in America now
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

If the whole airport advance works the same way as in Civ I&II, I think its range should be limited to ~16 squares per turn. If stealth bombers have that as their maximum range, how could a transport plane fly even longer?
        Wiio's First Law: Communication usually fails, except by accident.

Comment

Sure planes have limited range, but not on the time scales Civ plays at!

There are massive inconsistencies in the rate at which units move. It's bad with non-railroaded land units, really bad with ships, and unbelievably horrible with air units. Range has nothing to do with it, it's simply a far too low movement rate.

Consider a map 128 sqaures around. Air units have so far been allowed to move between 10 and 20 units per turn. So we've got a lightning fast stealth aircraft, modern technology at it's finest, and it takes, at best, something like 6 years to go around the globe.

Whether or not we go with airlifting air units, something has to change. I'd rather air units had no movement limit at all but simply one of range. i.e., they can only go x squares from a friendly base.

--
          Jared Lessl

Comment

Don't you think there should be a balance between ground unit movements and air unit movements?

In Civ II there are supersonic Mech. infantries that put to shame even the jet fighters (as should be the name of the stealth fighters in civ II inmho).

It just feels so strange to be able to move anywhere on the ground in 1 turn and yet be forced to make 2 and 3 stops for your air units.

Thoughts?

Comment

This is what I'm saying. The 'Airlift' feature is a great way of reconciling modern transport and the time-frame Civ uses.

Now, keep in mind that allowing air units to be Airlifted will not allow the player to drop them off in enemy territory. If you want to bomb the enemy, you'll still need to get your planes there by building an airbase or moving an aircraft carrier. It's just that it will no longer take your Stealth Bombers three turns just to fly from one end of your empire to the next.

Plus, air units being Airlifted will be subject to the same dangers as any other airlifted unit. If there are enemy planes between the two points, there's a danger they will be 'shot down.'

Besides, Airports come relatively late in the game. It's not as if your very first propeller-based fighters will be jumping around the map.

(And ships need better movement rates. I already posted on that thread, though.)
              [This message has been edited by EnochF (edited April 29, 2001).]
              "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Ah, now I see your point EnochF and I agree. I like the idea posted by jdlessl stating that "...air units have no movement limit at all but simply one of range. i.e., they can only go x squares from a friendly base." This, I believe will help solve the inconsistancies between the ground and air units...and it will force you to build forward air operating bases or aircraft carriers. I like like it! (Wittlich makes an evil laugh).

"One day if I do go to heaven, I'm going to do what every San Franciscan does who goes to heaven - I'll look around and say, 'It ain't bad, but it ain't San Francisco.'" - Herb Caen, 1996
                "If God, as they say, is homophobic, I wouldn't worship that God." - Archbishop Desmond Tutu

Comment

I think an airlift would be neat because it does take a long time to move planes around, I don't even use them very often in civ 1, 2 and SMAC because I always run out of fuel. If the planes do have an airlift, I think they should only get one airlift a turn though.

Comment

Instant travel around the globe......... I say we limit the airlift distance for ground units and leave the air units the way they are.

------------------
                    "We don't know a millionth of one percent about anything."
                    -Thomas A. Edison

Comment

Just because something is accomplished one turn doesn't mean it's "instant." A turn is a year, at the very least.

I mean, you'd have a point if a turn was supposed to represent five minutes...

Comment

Hey,

Like in the real world you could have long range tanker planes. These
                        would extend the range of a squadron of fighters or bombers. More
                        importantly the AI should understand the strategy and tactics of modern
                        air power. All strategy games I've see don't know how to use airplanes
                        to establish the concept of air superiority.

Cavin forever,

Dennis

Comment

Working...
                        X