Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where have all the forests gone?

Hola,

In a previous thread there was the issue of why jungles were pretty much useless, as well as forests after railroads. I have done much experimenting and there appears to be no way to make the AI keep a balance of irrigation and forests. I tried doing the following:

1) Mining = 0 for plains and grasslands. Result: The AI chops em down anyway and irrigates the base terrain resulting in very large and unproductive AI cities.

2) Forest shields = 3. The AI starts planting forests in all plains and grasslands.

Since I don't like the look of mines in forests, the only other solution is to eliminate the "clear forest" ability. I wish Firaxis would do something to correct this, maybe for example giving railroad bonuses to the forests without having to improve them. This never happened in the previous Civs.

Anybody have any ideas or comments?
    A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Raguil:

try reducing the # of shields you get for chopping it down. instead of 10 try 4 or even 2. This should make the AI think about chopping down any old forest it sees. Just make sure you up the stats for cash and pop rushing to compensate for the lost shields from the forest.
    * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
    * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
    * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
    * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

thanx, MB, it didn't occur to me that the AI chops down forests for their shields.

I actually have pop rushing to 40 instead of the default 20. I still leave the cash at the default 4, but I guess I better change it to 2 then.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

raguil_79,

I think that you can add bonuses to forrests w/ RR in the editor--IIRC.
        "...Every Right implies a certain Responsibility; Every Opportunity, an Obligation; Every Possession, a Duty." --J.D. Rockerfeller, Jr.

Comment

Really? where? (gonna see...)

Comment

I didn't know you could do that.
            Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
            Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

Double-checked, couldn't find it. I think those things are hard-coded.

Comment

It's not there. RRs only affect improvements (and forests aren't considered that. Got to cut 'em down in the name of progress.
                Seemingly Benign
                Download Watercolor Terrain - New Conquests Watercolor Terrain

Comment

Originally posted by steven8r
                  raguil_79,

I think that you can add bonuses to forrests w/ RR in the editor--IIRC.
                  You can only do this by allowing forests to be improved (e.g. mined) which would make the forest look ugly and make 'em way too powerful
                  * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                  * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                  * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                  * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

One bonus about forest during industrial age and later is that they can't be pillaged or destroyed by bombardment...Important considering my enemies tend to get bombers before me!
                    Last edited by HAND; February 4, 2003, 03:47.
                    I love PEPSI! (twitching and shivering profusely)

Comment

Working...
                    X