No announcement yet.

Fiber optic cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You people are crazy! How can you want to play a game about laying cables! Seriously though, more tile improvements of this sort are not called for. Sensors (ala SMAC) are the only necessary addition I can think of. BTW, anyone who really has a burning need to lay cable I got a "game" for you over at my office.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Pingu: on 04-18-2001 07:46 AM
      When you get hit by a virus (your Civ, not your computer!) maybe a message would come up saying "Wanna See some cool Picutres... click on attachment" which is then automatically clicked by the copmputer for you, and then you get the message saying 'City X has been hit by a computer virus, blah blah blah....'.

I like that idea!
      The breakfast of champions is the opposition.

"A japaneze warrior once destroyed one of my modern armours.i nuked the warrior" -- philippe666

Comment

I think you missed our idea. The invention of the telegraph was too important to communications worldwide to be skipped. We did NOT say it should be cables strewn across the map, instead, we believe it could be a tech advance or a wonder, not an actual terrain improvement. Too much micromanagement for not enough return. A transcontinental railroad took time to build, telegraph wires sprung up quickly once invented, so again, they should not be on the terrain itself.

About the fiber-optics and internet stuff, well, I'm against that all together. Too late in the game to do any good. There's actually a lot of decent near-term stuff between 2020 and SMAC that would be good, but there isn't a game currently for those ideas.

Comment

I think Data hacking wars would fit well into Civ3, they are available now in 2001, and we've had computer hacking since the mid 1980's with computerised bank systems.. not just with the internet.
          Hacking and computer wars (techno spying) would fit in with the new ways of winning in civ3.

I'm planning to put some interesting Data war elements into my computer game (which is a science fiction civilisation style thing but more)
          its good having spy Satellelites and sophisticated anti hacking improvements and allows smaller countries to fare better against big ones (they just knock out all the big advanced wired countries naval communications with a virus in their satellites)

Admiral Pete
          of Camelot

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Admiral PJ on 04-22-2001 03:26 PM

its good having spy Satellelites and sophisticated anti hacking improvements and allows smaller countries to fare better against big ones (they just knock out all the big advanced wired countries naval communications with a virus in their satellites)

Admiral Pete
            of Camelot

Do you really think that small country can balance their power against major Civ thanks by a bunch of techno data warriors? Aren't you reading too much of good Cyberpunk Fictions?

They can have small tactical success, maybe sometimes as a large success as the Japanese attack to Pearl Harbor in WWII, but in Civ III strategical scale it shouldn't be so relevant, IMHO.

Let Datawarriors for futuristic scenario, hoping that Civ III engine will be able to manage these kind of advanced mod.

------------------
            Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
            "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
            - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I like the idea of transoceanic cable. It makes sense to increase communications. But how would it make a difference? An advantage in diplocmacy?
              An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile,
              hoping it will eat him last.
              Winston Churchill

Comment

I think it would be a wonder (or one of those CTP feats or something like that). It would boost trade or science as information exchange becomes more rapid.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by SerapisIV on 04-25-2001 12:10 AM
                  I think it would be a wonder (or one of those CTP feats or something like that). It would boost trade or science as information exchange becomes more rapid.

I don't think i'd ever build such a wonder. Though in real history it took about a century before cables became obsolete because of wireless communication, in the game that will take just too short a span of time to be of any interest for me winning the game. Let an other civ build it, and then I "just" take over the city in which it is build.

Comment

History is never truly shown in the Wonders. The Hanging Gardens only existed for about 50-100 years, the Collossus even less. Also, did the Pyramids actually give granary's to the Egyptians? It was a tomb, not a grain silo. The idea behind a trans-ocean telegraph wonder is the revolution in communications that it brought, something that has only today finally been matched in scope by the internet. And what exactly is the internet/phone/fiber optics, but high tech telegraphs. They relay info over glass fibers instead of by copper and just more of it. Telecommunications wouldn't of happened without the telegraph. It was the building block for the whole deal

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by vgriph on 04-17-2001 09:26 AM
                      I think that you should be able to dig down fiber optic cables after the development of Internet and the laser. They should increase the trade based on the number of cities connected.

Well I'm pretty sure they're implementing nice technologies like that one... but I think they'll make it "data transfer technologies" rather than give it such an explicit name

why actually have a single thread for this? what do you guys think about a whole thread for technologies? but hey, didn't we already have one?

Comment

Working...
                      X