FP city flips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FP city flips!

Don't build the Forbidden City in a captured city!

As the Koreans, I used a Great Leader to rush-build my FP in Upsala, which I recently captured from the Iroquois (they had won it from the Vikings centuries earlier). On the turn after the FP was completed, the city flipped back to the Iroquois!

The city had only one Iroquois citizen out of a total of six. Everyone was content or an entertainer. It was garrisoned with two units, and it had a Temple, but not much else.

My guess is that it flipped because it was not a native Korean city. Anyone else see this behavior?

No. That would probably cost me a monitor...
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I never built FP outside of my old core. I would have built a palace instead and it will not flip. Well it should not, but I have heard one or two stories.
      It would not be out on the edge. It would be some what in, with a few cities nearby. Not touching borders other civs, at least one city for a buffer.

Comment

Purple's catastrophe has been mentioned here once before. While his cits had no affect on the odds, the probability is quite small. Most people DO put the FP into captured cities, and it is probably worth the risk. Of course, if one had a Settler available....

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
          Purple's catastrophe has been mentioned here once before. While his cits had no affect on the odds, the probability is quite small. Most people DO put the FP into captured cities, and it is probably worth the risk. Of course, if one had a Settler available....
          The sad thing is, I had just built a "native" city nearby to fill in a development gap. I could have built the FP there!

Comment

Oh, this is bad luck... Never happened to me before, and I remember building the FP in a captured city sometimes.
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

It's reasonns such as these that I abandon captured cities and move the palace, and keep the FP around my origional core cities.

remember when you capture a city the city still retains the foreign culture it has accrued under the old civ, and the FP does not factor into the CF formula. Moving the palace close to the newly captured cities is a good way to prevent flips such as these.
              Of course this type of a flip is a rarity but the possibility does exist.
              * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
              * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
              * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
              * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

The one time this happened to me I broke one of my "rules" and reloaded from the auto-save and added a few more units to the city. Luckily that worked, and after a few turns the FP with the rushed temple and library had pushed the borders out. *phew* I've never seen a city flip once the borders have expanded, but I'm sure its possible.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

If my culture score was lower than the enemy's then I'd take the risk. Early on in the game (which is when the FP comes into play anyway) there isn't much risk of flipping. If the enemy has a bigger culture score then I'd probably be a bit more cautious.
                  Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

Try playing against the Babs on Emperor. They ALWAYS have about twice my culture, whatever I do. Stupid @&*#ing AI building bonus +religious + scientific. How is it possible to compete culturally?

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Im my current game, both the palace and FP are in captured cities. But both were captured in early stages.

Recently I captured Moscow and it flipped after 2 turns although I rush built a temple. Got it back just as fast, but... One thing was puzzling. I also captured all the surrounding cities as well. So there was no contact, no neighbouring culture influence to influence Moscow. Or does the culture factor influence cities in some other way?

I saw someone post a formula on probability of a city to flip. Maybe if someone took the time to find it...

Comment

I've seen worse. Once one of my cities flipped back to the americans. It was a size 23 city with over 1000 culture points, it was 15 tiles away from what was left of american territory(two crappy towns) and I had owned it for centuries. Turned out that there were still 6 american citizens left in the city. Their culture(in that city) was also over 2000.

I wiped them out the next turn...
                        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Re: FP city flips!

Originally posted by Purple

As the Koreans, I used a Great Leader to rush-build my FP in Upsala, which I recently captured from the Iroquois (they had won it from the Vikings centuries earlier). On the turn after the FP was completed, the city flipped back to the Iroquois!

This raises an interesting question: What if Iroquois had already built FP elsewhere and then what you described happens? Does Iroquois now have two FP? This is unlikely in single-player because I have never seen AI build the FP, but something like this could definitely happen in multiplayer......

Most likely what happens in single player is that the game crashes during AI's turn...

Comment

When you conquer a city, none of the culture-producing improvements survive. I assume this also applies when a city changes hands due to culture flipping. If so, it would be impossible to capture a second FP.

Comment

Originally posted by Purple
                              When you conquer a city, none of the culture-producing improvements survive. I assume this also applies when a city changes hands due to culture flipping. If so, it would be impossible to capture a second FP.

Great Wonders will survive, but not generate any culture for the captors. So, you think that FP, a Small Wonder, is treated as a city improvement when captured and not as a Wonder? You could be right, I guess. I dont know - I've never seen this happen before...

Comment

Working...
                              X