Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unofficial POLL 3: Should Civ3 keep the unit rediness of ctp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unofficial POLL 3: Should Civ3 keep the unit rediness of ctp?

Should Civ3 keep the unit rediness of ctp?

------------------
    Its okay to smile; you're in America now
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

I didn't play CTP or CTP2, How did their readiness feature work? Specifically, how did it work for SAM units (if there were any) or for destroyers (subhunters)? Thanks

Comment

What happened was that the units in Ctp were paid for in gold for upkeep. There were three states of military readiness. Stand Down, Alert and War (or something like that.) In the Stand down mode, your soldiers had the minimum upkeep and therefore there strength bar wasnt at the highest, You also spent less money on them. It took ten turns to go from Stand Down to War, so theres a sort of 'Pearl Harbor surpries' element.

------------------
      "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Yes i think it was great. It Makes the game more real. also they should have more levals of expriance for units 3 or 4 would be nice somthing befor veteran status.

Comment

Like in gettysburg! Green, Experience, Veteran, Crack

------------------

Comment

Yea just like that. it would also be nice if you could, with a bit of time and money, be able to train your troops. You would send them to a city with a baraks and pay to get them trained with out fighting.

Comment

Unit Readiness from CTP was one of the best features of that game. It was one of the ideas that actually WORKED! - as opposed to lawyers and corporate units. CIV3 should definitely have military readiness. Veteran/green should also have more effects. Eg. Inexperienced units should have a greater chance of 'fleeing' battle (ie. getting routed) if after one round of fighting (assuming the CTP stack warfare system is to be used) the army is practically decimated and has no hope of winning. (Veteran units would be able to retreat - being routed is different because the units would automatically disband)

Comment

Yes, I like the unit readiness as well!

I thought it was an improvement (one of the very few) over Sid Meier's concept.

Hmmm . . . . . I predict a new official poll in the near future!

------------------
                "I should like to know if taking this old Declaration of Independence, which declares that all men are equal upon principle, making exceptions to it -- where will it stop? If one man says it does not mean a Negro, why does not another say it does not mean some other man?"
                -- Abraham Lincoln's quote, and his anti-racist ideals
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

maybe ctp had an idea that would be good if it were done the right way . . .but at least try not to mention the fact that it came from CTP, and do it a better way, make it your own if you do it firaxis don't "copy" it.
                  -connorkimbro
                  "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

I like all the ideas here: 4 levels for units, and rediness status. Though I don't think it should take a full 10 rounds to go from stand down to war. More like 5 would suffice (think of the time frame of the game). And it can be tweakable in rules.txt. Maybe have the number and names of unit levels be tweakable in rules.txt as well (though max level only gives a x2 bonus, so if there are 3 levels, their bonuses would be x1, x1.5, x2, or 4 levels would be x1, x1 1/3, x1 2/3, x2)
                    I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Working...
                    X