Civ 1 Features I would like to see in Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ 1 Features I would like to see in Civ 3

I remember back in the day when I played Civ 1. Nothing thrilled me more than winning a game and watching the Civilization replay. The first time I played Civ 2 and won I was extremely disappointed not to see the replay. For those who don't know what the replay is it is the history of the game that you just finished. It shows a map of the world and each civilization on it. It shows how they progressed and developed over the years. A line at the top of the screen would tell what happened each year of the game (major events like gov't changes, civilization defeats, units and tech discovered, etc.) I've always wondered what the other civilizations were doing while I was growing.
    Another thing I would like to see in Civ 3 would be a better map generator. I like playing games on maps with lots of islands, and the generator usually give maps with huge continents or almost islands but with one small block of land joining them. I would like to see a generator with more options that would allow the map to be better shaped how the player want's it without have to make the map themself.
    Thank You

Visit my Civ 2 website at http://www.geocities.com/thecornmaster
    I AM CANADIAN!
    Gamecatcher: Multiplayer Civ 2 Democracy Game
    CornEmpire Owner/Operator
    Grand Minister: Dominion of the Balance & CornEmpire Software

There have been a couple of threads dealing with replays and how to reward the victor after the game. Take a look, they might be burried a distance, if you have anything to add to them, reply and the thread will be resurrected. One of the better ideas that I saw in those posts was a history book that detailed your major events and battles, but I would only be paraphrasing, so take a look.
    About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Here 'tis: History Book as an ending of the game

btw, I agree. The replay in Civ I was cool.

- MKL
      - mkl

Comment

the replay kicked ass.... even from Civ1 for Windows it was removed.. the bastards ;-p
        Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

Comment

OMG a wink what could it mean, is Firaxis acknowledging a replay is going to be in Civ3 or are they just trying to confuse us , either way they read they still read the forums

------------------
            I use this email
            (stupid cant use hotmail)
            gamma_par4@hotmail.com
            Don't ask for golf tips
            Your game will get worse
            [This message has been edited by Par4 (edited May 26, 2000).]

Comment

I was fond of the city view. It came on every time you built an improvement, and you would watch the building appear on the view. In civ 2, I looked at it a few times, but quit since it was hard to tell which improvements were which, and even the wonders from the improvements.
              Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
              ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Comment

hey Chris - Could you visit some other threads on this forum and wink at some other things too!

------------------
                  ~~~I am who I am, who I am - but who am I?~~~

Comment

A double wink. Is that like a double negative? Or does it mean that is definitly going to be in the game? I'm not even sure what he is winking at any more!

About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Father Beast I agree. Only problem with the City Views were that in a city of a million it looked like there were no more than a thousand people living in your city. There needs to be some backdrop to make it look larger. But I think in Civ III that I hope to see wonders and larger city improvements on the actual map in kind of aoe fashion.

Comment

Maybe he's got some dust in his eye.

- MKL
                        - mkl

Comment

What I should like to see return in Civ III is gameplay that is lightyears ahead of all competition!!
                          Chris + the developers at Firaxis, take your time, make a game that will kick some ass and show the world just which team is on top!

------------------
                          Ceterum censeo Romanem esse delendam.
                          Hasdrubal's Home.
                          Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.

Comment

Does this mean they're sticking with the "you build it once it's done" approach? I was kinda hoping for a more Birth of Federation style of infrastructure development.

I agree, the replay was great. But it could use improvement. FE, the civ1 version never showed color changes when the empires split. It also tended to have little bits of color of former owners left in place when another civ conquered or destroyed the original city. And SMAC doesn't show any historical timeline at the top like the 1st did.
                            The city view is okay, I just wish it was placed further from the 'exit city' button...I can't tell you how many times I clicked it by mistake and had to wait for the city screen to load to exit.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The cause of the CivI-addiction was the simplicity of the game, you could easily manage your empire.

Civ: CTP maybe has alot of more features, but without a userfriendly/easy interface, they are quite useless and don't generate the same addiction as Civ1 did.

Civ2 was (still is) a highly addictive game, its less simplistic but still posesses an easy-to-use interface.. well maybe this is just me I don't know

So i really hope Civ3 will bring us an easy interface They just have to find the right balance between versatility and usability

My two cents.

STING
                              ---------
                              BorgIRC.net http://www.borgirc.net
                              webmaster@borgirc.net
                              Beep...beep...beep.

Comment

Working...
                              X