Dumb auto Workers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb auto Workers

Why do workers insist on changing my mines to irrigation on cities that are already max population and have plenty of food?

Ghengis Thom

And why, oh WHY, do they ignore pollution!?!?!

You can have a legion of automated workers and they´ll be irrigating and mining a landscape that looks like a dumpster.

Idiots, IDIOTS!!!!

Comment

first i have to irrigate and mine where i think it is important. only in the later game do i let them improve cities on their own (without altering.) the big problem i have is in the industrial age when i have railroads. i share a huge continent and when i take one of my neighbours cities the stupid workers will start improving it! eighther they are caught or i can move them away fast enough. but next round some other automated workers will come! so when i'm at war i can't have automated workers, which is ridiculous with over 100 cities. so i just have to let the ai capture them and then recaputure if they haven't destoyed them.

Comment

Re: Dumb auto Workers

Originally posted by Ghengis Thom
        Why do workers insist on changing my mines to irrigation on cities that are already max population and have plenty of food?

Ghengis Thom
        Because you're using the wrong automated control. That's the "Automate Virgin Territory" command, or the "A" shortcut key. You want to use "Automate Without Altering Improvements" which is Shift-A. Or you can use Ctrl-Shift-I, which will improve the immediate city without altering previous work.

Comment

Lazy People! Don't Automate! I don't (well, I have TRIED the Shift-A but it just ain't worth it).

I keep my pollution clean-up crews in stacks of 6 (native, non-industrious strength) workers, which cleans up one grass pollution instantly. Between work assignments, I store them in their own location near one of the capitals.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe
            pollution clean-up crews
            I like the sound of this. Anyone that doesn`t have this kind of crews? Like their only mission in life is to klean up the filth of other people.

should be a special sort of greenpeace unit for this.

I would like to give my workers orders based on a list of oppertunities and cities. And put them in prioritated order as well
            Like:
            1 clean pollution
            2make mining on hills, mountains
            3make irrigation on grassland
            around this cities: Trondheim, Athen,Washington
            to get away from the world, I use my computer.
            to reach out to the world, I use the Internet.
            To play the world, I use Civ III

Comment

Shift-A seems the only good option, as giving orders to up to 100 workers on large maps will turn you nuts
              I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                Shift-A seems the only good option, as giving orders to up to 100 workers on large maps will turn you nuts
                It's probably the best for cleaning up pollution as well. If there's nothing to do, they'll go hibernate in a city. But as soon as there's pollution, they'll get right to work.

The auto pollution clean up on the other hand will only last as long as the pollution does. After it's cleaned up, they'll just stand around and do nothing.

I wish though that I could just assign a Worker or two to each city, and they'll just automatically clean up within it's radius. And when they're finished, they go back and hibernate within the city until the next patch of pollution.

But then we don't exactly live in an ideal world, do we?

Comment

Originally posted by Willem
                  The auto pollution clean up on the other hand will only last as long as the pollution does. After it's cleaned up, they'll just stand around and do nothing.
                  Ahh, if only that were so I would be quite satisfied. Unfortunately, they ask for new orders, and they won't accept new Shift-P orders without there being any to clean up.

Comment

From the title of this thread I thought there was a labor strike going on and this belonged to off topic

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit

Up to 100? I usualy have twice that # of workers and occasionally 3X as many (map size: 180x180) And I would be in the nuthouse if I had to move each worker, I set 75% of the workforce to shift A and use the other 25% to work the tiles needed for immediate improvement. What is on my wishlist is an advisor so that you can tweak your automated workers for maximum efficiency. The advisor would give you full options for each tile set and also have certain basic instructions. e.g "maximize production for X city" or "Allow only X citizens for all cities" Allowing the automated workers to be instructed as to what your improvement preferences are will allow for smarter workers, and less frustration by Civ players.
                      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

on smaller maps i also have these clean up crews. i call all my clean up crew workers "No pollution". and i also give my own not captured workers an other name, so i can instantly see which units are best.

Comment

Maybe it's just me but I just automate every worker I get - well, except for when I raze enemy cities, those workers I make join my smaller cities because I don't like enslaving them :shrug: - and just let the chips fall where they may.
                          And as for the pollution thing, they usually get it eventually - well, more easily if they have improved most of your territory. I don't know about otherwise, because by the time I have to worry about pollution too much, my territory is already almost completely covered with improvements.
                          Whew! I'm back and ready to start writing again.
                          Coming soon: Pax America Redux (Including concepts/civs from Conquests)

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybe

Unfortunately, they ask for new orders, ...
                            Isn't that what I said? They do nothing in other words.

Comment

does the Automatic Workers change improvments which you have made?? and how do they know what to change!!

Comment

Working...
                              X