Is Civ III fixed yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Civ III fixed yet?

I stopped playing Civ III about 8 months ago, disgusted by the incredible amount of problems and bugs. My question is, should I come back to the game? I start this thread with an open mind and would genuinely want to be convinced to start playing again. I would especially love to here from some of the oldtimers that might remember me and my thoughts about the game.
    "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

troll
    Up the Irons!
    Rogue CivIII FAQ!
    Odysseus and the March of Time
    I think holding hands can be more erotic than 'slamming it in the ass' - Pekka, thinking that he's messed up

Comment

Re: Is Civ III fixed yet?

Is Civ III fixed yet?

Yes it is.
      "Illegitimi non carborundum"

Comment

Well, if you mean are most of the single player bugs gone and the AI improved, then I would say yes, in patch 1.29f. The single player experience (and the AI) is even better with PTW 1.14f.

However, if you're basing "fixed" on your wishlist from this thread and others like it:

then I would say an emphatic "NO". I'd also say these things are not "broken", they are just things the designers decided not to do with Civ3.
        "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
        "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
        "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Depends what you think is broken.

I used to be disappointed in Civ3, but since reading all the strat and story threads I have learned the game's limitations, and am having masses of fun exploiting those boundaries. Many others are too, eg the AU group, and now that scenarios seem to be basically as good as they are going to get (much better than ealier in Civ3), things are looking up. I do think it is time to re-examine Civ3 and PtW and see how much it has improved over the first release.
          Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
            troll
            Yep.
            "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

I agree with Stuie. It doesn't seem that it will ever be a game that you will like.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

probably not fixed to what you want it to be

Comment

Get PTW
                  I will never understand why some people on Apolyton find you so clever. You're predictable, mundane, and a google-whore and the most observant of us all know this. Your battles of "wits" rely on obscurity and whenever you fail to find something sufficiently obscure, like this, you just act like a 5 year old. Congratulations, molly.

Asher on molly bloom

Comment

Originally posted by Datajack Franit
                    Get PTW
                    PTW isnt released in my country yet. Still one week to go. The responsible should eat sh*t and die. On the other hand, from what I've heard and read, the company that is is holding PTW back doesn't deserve to recieve my money anyway. A product has to be finished before it is sold... and it isnt!
                    So get your Naomi Klein books and move it or I'll seriously bash your faces in! - Supercitizen to stupid students
                    Be kind to the nerdiest guy in school. He will be your boss when you've grown up!

Comment

Originally posted by zulu9812
                      troll
                      That's the simplistic magic word you use to make anyone critical of Civ 3 disappear. Try again.

Answer to the question: Civ 3 has finally been "fixed", after a year. But many of us are still dissatisfied. PTW still needs work.

Comment

I've been WAITING for you!!

I'm actually sorta p-ssed off you haven't been helping out with the AU Mod, 'cause I know you'd have good contributions.

In SP PTW, what needs further "crying out for help" work?

I think it's pretty damn good, except for the Bowman / Helicopter issue.
                        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

A troll.....I don't ever play trolls, Maybe a Dark Elf someday but not trolls. I was simply trying to get some honest feedback from the old crowd. I did not ask to be insulted. I could always just hang up my hat and stick with playing EQ but I think it would bother the namecallers more if I stuck around. I'll be loading up PTW and patching it this weekend and will report back to the boards what I think.
                          "Our lives are frittered away by detail....simplify, simplify."

Comment

Originally posted by Deornwulf
                            I could always just hang up my hat and stick with playing EQ but I think it would bother the namecallers more if I stuck around.
                            Let us know what you think. I for one was just pointing out that the game is sufficiently patched to be playable, but still may not meet your expectations of what you were hoping for with Civ3. Seriously though, check the strategy forum and look at the work they are doing for AU. Some great modding ideas there that vastly improve the game, IMO.
                            "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                            "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                            "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Deornwulf
                              A troll.....I don't ever play trolls, Maybe a Dark Elf someday but not trolls.
                              What about Ogre?

Comment

Working...
                              X