No announcement yet.

The PERFECT Civ3 Game Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got a better idea, why not have the intro show the sexiest women from each centry. from 4000 bc to now
    Join the army, travel to foreign countries, meet exotic people -
    and kill them!

Comment

As long as you have to "unlock" her clothing, I'm up for it.
      I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by EnochF on 04-03-2001 02:45 PM
        Aw, yin. Now you've done it.

Now if Civ III comes out and it has a regular 3D intro movie, I'll be disappointed.

Yeah, me too.
        (Yin: You must more carefull - as if my expectations weren't high enough earlier )
        Seriously this sounds very very interesting.

Comment

Sure, regular 3D intro movies are for looooser companies, it can't be good enough for an Epic Game Builder as Firaxis, can it?

Dan Magaha, are you reading, printing and passing this to Sid?

BTW, don't you have more than enough of us, always asking more work for you poor Firaxis employee?

------------------
          Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
          "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
          - Admiral Naismith

Comment

This reminds me of Tekken 2, the much loved f**k 'em up on the Playstation, where the main screen changes once you achieve a certain feat. Other gameplay landmarks in Civ 3 could include:

Beating the game at the higher difficulty levels. (Increasingly grand main 'game lobby' pages become unlocked + intro movie extension).

Cracking super-hard CtP 2 style 'Feats of Wonder'. (Bonus in the intro movie).

I wonder if you could have 'negative' features crop up in your intro movie/game lobby screen... like chimney stacks belching smoke for serial polluters... blasted wastelands for those who are a bit too happy to resort to atomic devastation....
            A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by JosefGiven on 04-04-2001 06:44 PM
              I wonder if you could have 'negative' features crop up in your intro movie/game lobby screen... like chimney stacks belching smoke for serial polluters... blasted wastelands for those who are a bit too happy to resort to atomic devastation....

Sure! Ruins and defeat are as epic as great achievement and success.

BTW atmosphere sounds & pictures seems the great, new "Graal" of gaming in these days of Black & White

------------------
              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

I personally think that 3D intros, cut scenes and FVM elements are a waste of resources and irrelevant to strategy games. It appears that even Firaxis thinks so...
                quote:

..the design team is avoiding the usage of cut-scenes and full-motion video as much as possible, which is a good thing. By the third time you've seen these clips - and in this type of game [Civ3] you see them a lot more than three times - you want to hit the Escape key. The designers know that cut scenes get old because they all played Civ.

Didn't we all say before that we would rather have them spend the time and resources on the AI and Customizability instead of worthless, needless, resource-hogging eye candy?

Comment

Steve Clark, I respect your opinion, but if Firaxis is really using programmers and artists, able to add cut scenes and intro, to program game AI...
                  Well, we can't hope too much from game AI, can we?

Seriusly now, how do we always suppose that a game is made only from few relevant components? Priority is good, ignoring whole part of a game, IMHO isn't.

Never mind Clark, I'm pretty confident both we'll like the Firaxis effort

------------------
                  - Admiral Naismith

Comment

ok, i posted this in the "eye candy" thread, but i feel SO compelled to post it here too, as this is where it should be posted. so, i apologize, bear with me.

Theres a big difference between the intro that plays everytime you load the program, and an intro that plays at the start of each new game.

The one that plays at the start of each new game should be the one you focus on. That's the one that I will watch every time. And i think alot of other players will as well.

Think back to civ1. . that one had that kind of intro. I watched it every time. Civ2 on the other hand, did not. I can hardly even remember the intro to civ2. A few other games too. (ie, black and white has a FANTASTIC intro of this sort)

Thats the kind of thing you want to do.
                    -connorkimbro
                    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

Comment

Mmmm, cut scenes.

Hey, why not some really cool cut scenes for wonders this time, even better than SMACs (if that is possible :eek . Also get some historical quotes, have one, at random, end the intro (of course).
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

"Visually, Firaxis felt it to be so important to have a singular vision for the game's look and feel that the design team enlisted a 17th-century painting by Peter Brueghel as their muse of sorts. Any time an artist on the team has a question about design or palette, they consult Brueghel's Tower of Babel. In Firaxis' minds, this will create a unified visual theme across the game. So significant is the painting, in fact, an adapted model of it can be seen in the opening movie."
                        - CGW Preview

Well, now its confirmed, an opening video will be included, sounds like it might be slightly animated, "an adapted model"?

"Interestingly, the design team is avoiding the usage of cut-scenes and full-motion video as much as possible, which is a good thing. By the third time you've seen these clips—and in this type of game you see them a lot more than three times—you want to hit the Escape key. The designers know that cut scenes get old because they all played Civilization. "

No cut-scenes, or at least as we know them, now what are they gonna do for Wonders?

Comment

Working...
                        X