Poll: City radius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: City radius

Do you want to see expanding city radius in Civ3?

1. Yes, I love it! Give me expanding, huge cities with 4 or 5 circles radius!

2. I like it, but don't let cities grow beyond 3 circles radius.

3. I like the idea of expanding city radius, but 2 circles radius (Civ2) is enough.

4. No! I like the Civ2 style fixed city radius (2 circles).

5. I don't know / I don't care.

Note: city radius = the circles around a city, without the city itself

Vote
    [This message has been edited by Tiberius (edited February 15, 2001).]
    [This message has been edited by Tiberius (edited February 16, 2001).]
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

OK, my vote goes for 2: expanding city radius, but no more than 3 circles.

In the same time, I'd like to see benefits for big cities, like trade/tourism/production/science bonuses, but some negative effects too: overcrowding, crime, deseases, etc.

The point is, well managed big cities should become important region centers, not "only" cities.
    "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
    --George Bernard Shaw
    A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
    --Woody Allen

Comment

2. But expanding only from 1 to 2 square radius.

I already believe the civ "cities" are just approximate representations of the regional population and infrastructure. The one big city could in fact be two, three or even more urban centres.
      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
      H.Poincaré

Comment

and please a solution for large cities shrinking and growing again at the later stages of the game.
        'We note that your primitive civil-^
        ization has not even discovered^
        $RPLC1. Do you care^
        to exchange knowledge with us?'^
        _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
        _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

A mix of 1 and 2. the max would be four circles (one more than in civ2). But only for extremly big cities.
          [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 14, 2001).]
          No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

1. yes yes yes

This is crucial as to when I buy the Game. If the Map is dynamic then I will buy right at release 48$ but if not will wait a year and buy at the discount 9-18$

The Regiaonal ides put forth thus far should be included.

Comment

4. I like the one as it is today, but I haven't tried the CTP2 one. therefor I don't want to hold one over another.

------------------
              Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I have to place my ballot for #2. I like expanding city radii, as long as it doesn't get carried away

Comment

Actually I want the cities to expand from 1 tile to 2, 3, 4, etc. And as the actual city expands, the radius would also increase... but I think the radius should only be one square.

Comment

A reaching area of four or five would be absolutely ridiculous, not to mention ludicrous. Instead of having Paris, or Lyons, you would only have one city, France!

I say the max should be set at a radius of 2, at absolute MAX. Growing from 1 to 2 is fine with me though, though I may learn to eat those words.
                    "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                    Drake Tungsten
                    "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                    Albert Speer

Comment

I got an idea, how about increasing radius as population increase? of course there is a limit...

Comment

I added a new nr. 3, so I will count your votes according to the new numbering.

Results so far:

Choice.....Votes

Henrik: cities in Civ2 have 2 circles radius. (without the city itself, of course; sorry if I didn't mention that)
                        Trachmir: think about how big is actually a map tile in Civ2, if you make the right scaling ...
                        AzNtoccata: What do you mean? The city radius is supposed to grow when the population reaches a certain limit (for ex: city size 1-8: 1 circle, 9-16: 2 circles, 17-24: 3 circles, etc)
                        --George Bernard Shaw
                        --Woody Allen

Comment

1 of course, thats the way it is.

What? are you pussies too scared to tackle real life problems?

Comment

I vote for number 4
                            stuff

Comment

I know CTP2 players complained about city radius problems, but I don't know why (someone can give me a hint?) and I searched in CTP2 forum without a succesful result.

So far, I vote for 2) Expanding, but don't let cities grow beyond 3 circles radius (starting with a radius of 1).

I would like to consider City radius not exactly a circle: I mean, if a city is near unpassable mountains it must limit the radius in that direction, as 1 square limit in sea shore direction (large fishing far from coast is unrealistic until proper tech advance, i.e. port facility).

I don't think this should be balanced from a radius stretch into "permitted" directions, i.e. having coastal city area growing more square following the coast line, but I'm open to different opinion.

It's more complex than usual circle method, but it could be more interesting, at least if some kind of CTP2 "public works" will be implemented.

Of course the player should have some "point cursor here to show city usable area" function, to check before moving a settler to found a new city.

------------------
                              Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                              "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                              - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Working...
                              X