Adviser Movies In Civ3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adviser Movies In Civ3?

I think civ3 should feature adviser movie clips like in civ2, that was one of the coolest parts of civ2. What do you ppl think?

Well, why not...
    Just like the palace they were a nice break in the game.

But I would like to see:
    - possibility to turn them off
    - More possible advices and better logic into them. In Civ2 I got bored with them, since the they weren't good enough.

Comment

Yeah I reckon they did get anoying after a while, it whould be great if they had a much larger variety instead of blabbering on about the same thing, but i'm sure firaxis will come up with better stuff.

Comment

I always turned off that function in Civ2 because if they were telling me to do something, either a) it was just them being stupid and it was horrible advice, or b) I'd already figured that out and they weren't helping me any. I think that if they're in Civ3 then they need to be a lot less stupid.

Comment

I'm not particularly against this idea myself but if ther eare 5 advisors, in 3-4 time periods with a large variety of advice each, wouldn't that end up taking up a lot of the CD? I'd rather have some nicer wonder/intro/victory movies instead.

And if there are advisors, please no Elvis's.
          I not only dream in colour, I dream in 32-bit colour.

Comment

I dunno, the King was kind of cool

If it interferes with the rest of the game, certainly not... but realistically guys, I think that nothing will have to be scrapped to fit the advisors in. With a bit of improvement, they should be included, as they are a great part of the civ ambiance.

------------------
            "Any shred of compassion left in me was snuffed out forever when they cast me into the flames..."
            - Marsil, called the Pretender
            Lime roots and treachery!
            "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

yeah well i suppose if they did replace other stuff then they shouldn't be included, but i'm sure they won't take up too much CD space, the ones in civ2 took up 90mb surprisingly, but if they had 2 cd's for civ3 that whould be ok.

Comment

Hmmm... I vote no. The production value of the original advisers was very low. Mainly because the talent was mediocre and the dialogue written for them to say was amateurish camp.

If live action talent is being considered for the game I strongly urge Firaxis to avoid the assumption that "passable" is good enough. Tongue-in-cheek will not cover up the damage done by mediocre talent in terms of over all game experience. Computer game makers have been notoriously easy on themselves in terms of live action production value, and Civ 2 was no exception. People who defend it usually say stuff the begins with, "I don't know, I kinda..." Firaxis has thus far been a pleasant exception to the no talent live action talent rule.

If they are going ahead with this feature, I recommend Firaxis see "I, Claudius" starring Derek Jacobi in the title role. You can find it next to the Ken Burns Civil War documentary. It has the best dialogue and acting involving actors in a toga probably ever done. If you can't sit through that, you probably have no business writing dialogue for any live action characters in Civ 3.

Comment

At first I thought the advisers in Civ 2 were pretty cool, but after a while I ended up turning them off for the reasons stated above - they were either giving useless advice, or giving helpful advice that I had already figured out an hour earlier.

I guess I wouldn't mind seeing advisers like that again in Civ 3 (though I agree that some improvement would be good), so long as it doesn't mean that Firaxis is going to put off doing something else that would be more beneficial to the game.

Comment

Well, yeah, they're funny! Stupid, useless, but funny! Therefor, I would like to see some improvements on this feature's AI.
                    Much has been said about Civ3's AI. I hope that the improvements reach the Advisors as well.

Civ fans will apreciate that, Firaxis.
                    "BANANA POWAAAAH!!! (exclamation Zopperoni style)" - Mercator, in the OT 'What fruit are you?' thread
                    Join the Civ2 Democratic Game! We have a banana option in every poll just for you to vote for!
                    Many thanks to Zealot for wasting his time on the jobs section at Gamasutra - MarkG in the article SMAC2 IN FULL 3D? http://apolyton.net/misc/
                    Always thought settlers looked like Viking helmets. Took me a while to spot they were supposed to be wagons. - The pirate about Settlers in Civ 1

Comment

I would much more like to have the advise as text, or both text and movie! With text it would be simpler to understand what the advisors are saying.

------------------
                      Who am I? What am I? Do we need Civ? Well....
                      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

I'd rather have city governors that can be turned on or off and learn by seeing what they do. The ham acting advisors were a momentary amusement but I never seriously listened to their advice.
                        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                        H.Poincaré

Comment

The only way I'd like to see this done is through famous quotes similar to SMAC...maybe even using footage of the actual person being quoted. This should not only be relatively easier to do but far more classy.

For example, I'd much rather have a few second footage of Allen Greenspan saying something cool about not ignoring the economy than dressing up some Denny's waiter in an Elvis suit and having him endlessly spout "It's about the money...Honney!"

At any rate, I'd even turn that off after a few games. If you ask me, spend more time on the tech tree making it full of great historical knowledge.
                          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

I too appreciated the "High Council's" sense of humor. I would like to see them (or a facimile there of) in civ3.

If players get tired of them or just don't want to be bothered with them, have a setting where you can turn them off.

I agree, if disc space is at a premium - then have a 2-Disc Civ3 game.

Comment

I'm in favor of something along these lines. They don't have to be advisors necessarily. I am liking the idea of using footage and quotes from famous people. Of course there needs to be an option to turn these off. Even the best features get annoying after hundreds of games.

Comment

Working...
                              X