No announcement yet.

The heritage of Civ 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quantitative resources would make the foreing trade system more complex.
    The difference between industrial society and information society:
    In an industrial society you take a shower when you have come home from work.
    In an information society you take a shower before leaving for work.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimizer
      Quantitative resources would make the foreing trade system more complex.
      That's kind of the idea, at least for me. I find it to simplistic at the moment. Once a civ has Iron, there's nothing I can do with that extra resource or two I have lying around. If there was some sort of quantitative system in place, trading would become much more dynamic.

Comment

Of course it would make the game more complex, the important question is: Will it make a better game?
        Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
          Of course it would make the game more complex, the important question is: Will it make a better game?
          Of course it would!

Just by making resources limited in any of the ways discussed (or a completely different way) we get a game that is more realistic and has more strategic depth.

This isn't the kind of change that is really going to make the game "more complex" to the point that it is a detriment. Keeping tabs on resources and seeking to aquire them to keep your civ running isn't micro managment, it's empire managment!

Comment

What makes a better game?

Civ has always been single-player, so a better game means a good AI.

Any change to game mechanics has to be used well by the AI; it is difficult to see how these changes could be.
            "An Outside Context Problem was the sort of thing most civilisations encountered just once, and which they tended to encounter rather in the same way a sentence encountered a full stop" - Excession

Comment

The things to arrange first would be, I think, the combat system that's not composed of living units but of reviving units that do not get an advantage from grouping.

After, there's the colonial system that should be arranged to look like a colonial system.

After, there's the territory limits that are simply based on culture while the TERRITORIAL limits do not do this normally...

A few things like that, including social systems and spying, and it would be alot better.
              Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Hmm, maybe I just need a good nights sleep but I can't figure out what you want to do with the combat system.

Comment

Well, I'd like it to be that you have X troops, with a certain quality and temporary effect on them (which combines fatigue, moral, suffered alot, etc). No stuff like having troops that auto-heal (which in Civ is building back the effectives) without any cost. The cost should be linked to the number of men. Even if it's not said openly, it could be inherent to the way the system works. I dislike healing a little since it's not considering deaths enough...
                  Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

I see your point and it will turn civ into a more realistic combat-simulator. Waging war takes a lot of resources and a unit that has been fighting need to replace both men and supplies. I can't make up my mind if a change will be to the better though. The current system gives a sort of large-scale abstraction that works well. I don't want to loose that just to get a more 'correct' abstraction.

Comment

Working...
                    X