X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Withdraw or else...

Hi,

Second question...

How do I make the intruder to leave my teritory or declare war in the diplomacy screen?

In my current game the Indians are using my teritory as camping ground and all I get in diplomacy after i tell them to leave is a promise.

I have seen that there is a possibility to make them choose to (automatically) withdraw or declare war. How do I do that?

Thanks.

-Deleted, stupid computer (P166 or something at work) always gives errors-

Comment

I think you get that option when the enemy is canping directly next (in one of the 8 surrounding squares) to one of your cities. Otherwise I wouldn't know for sure.
      Maybe one of your units has to stand next to one of theirs (so you can kick them out if they declare war?).

Comment

It depends on how close to a city the units are, as well as the number (and type) of units. Small numbers of workers and scouts, for example, can wander around for quite some time inside another civ's territory before being kicked out. I haven't seen anybody doing serious tests about this, however (hint, hint).

Comment

I guess youre right. There have been a couple of workers moving around and frigates around my cities, but no real military units.

In the meantime the problem has been solved by me capturing the workers and going to war with India. My invasion was not very successful though. I am still used to the old CIV games where capturing cities was MUCH easier.

Live and learn.....

Comment

Evolve or die
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I find this a bit erratic. I had a German archer march right up to a city with one archer defending (the other defender was away dealing with a barb encampment) and when I challenged them they only promised to leave. Next turn Bismarck declared war and took the city!

I wasn't having that so I went back to the autosave, declared war and destroyed his archer first. But I could not force him to leave on my turn even though his unit was right next to my city.
              Never give an AI an even break.

Comment

It also appears that you can never force a settler to withdraw. As is typical late in the game, conquering any enemy city frequently opens up free territory and every civ will rush settlers there even if it means trespaaing across dozens of my tiles. I've resorted to using units to block them, but that always seems to harm my reputation even tho all i'm doing is protecting my own territory. Leave or declare war should always be a diplomatic option. Its inexcusable that the AI was programmed for the AI settlers to ignore borders.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
                  I've resorted to using units to block them, but that always seems to harm my reputation even tho all i'm doing is protecting my own territory.
                  It shouldn't harm your rep to merely block the AI units from moving across your territory. I used to make an entire line of units in my territory to impede AI progress, and it didn't seem to do anything to my rep.

Comment

Re: Withdraw or else...

Originally posted by Daz
                    Hi,

Second question...

How do I make the intruder to leave my teritory or declare war in the diplomacy screen?

In my current game the Indians are using my teritory as camping ground and all I get in diplomacy after i tell them to leave is a promise.

I have seen that there is a possibility to make them choose to (automatically) withdraw or declare war. How do I do that?

Thanks.
                    First off, if India is sending troops into your territority, it's a good sign that your military could use a bit of beefing up. If your strong in comparison, they won't want to risk triggering a war they might lose.

If that really, really bothers you, try making a hidden nationality unit. If he sends anything your way, you can whack the unit without having to go to war. Careful though, the AI knows how to use them as well.

Comment

For me, the powerful military thing always works. The AI fears my forces and rarely risks any kind of incursion.
                      I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by ALPHA WOLF 64
                        It also appears that you can never force a settler to withdraw. As is typical late in the game, conquering any enemy city frequently opens up free territory and every civ will rush settlers there even if it means trespaaing across dozens of my tiles. I've resorted to using units to block them, but that always seems to harm my reputation even tho all i'm doing is protecting my own territory. Leave or declare war should always be a diplomatic option. Its inexcusable that the AI was programmed for the AI settlers to ignore borders.
                        It's not entirely correct that you can never force settlers to withdraw, but non-military units can stay very much longer than military before being forced to withdraw. The same applies to the human non-military units inside enemy borders: Your explorer can stay up to 32 turns in enemy territory before being forced to leave - the same goes for enemy settlers inside your territory. If they stay at least 4 squares away from any of your cities, then it takes 32 turns before you can force it to leave.

If it is accompanied by a military unit, then you can force it to leave within a few (max 4 IIRC) turns though.
                        If you cut off my head, what do I say?
                        Me and my body, or me and my head?

Comment

First off, if India is sending troops into your territority, it's a good sign that your military could use a bit of beefing up. If your strong in comparison, they won't want to risk triggering a war they might lose.
                          I was, and still am, stronger than the Aztecs. They sent 2 units into my territory, I said leave -"OK" - They moved further in - LEAVE! - "OK". They moved onto one of my irrigated tiles - LEAVE OR DECLARE WAR! - they declared war, I took 4 of their cities!!

It may be that Monty is more aggressive than Gandhi, but comparative strength does not always seem to matter.
                          One OS to rule them all,
                          One OS to find them,
                          One OS to bring them all
                          and in the darkness bind them.

Comment

I miss the "expel" command from CTP2... it was good and always worked, not necessarily leading you to an unwanted war.
                            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

Originally posted by justjake73
                              It may be that Monty is more aggressive than Gandhi, but comparative strength does not always seem to matter.
                              Of course not. There's several reasons for the AI to go to war with you, like a resource for instance. Relative strength is just one aspect of their behaviour towards you.

Comment

Working...
                              X