Satellite cities

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Satellite cities

Not being able to use all the land and sea can be a pain. I have an idea of that instead of expanding the radii of cities you have the possibility to build satellite towns. This is done simply. You build a city within the cities 2-circled radius and viola: a 2-circled radius from the 'new city' can be added to your old one. (you can ofcourse choose to let it be a whole new city not belonging to the old one.

Maybe there should be special satellite-town-improvements like:
    - camping ground (increase tourism)
    - holiday village (increase luxories)
    - Defence buildings

The satellite town will in a way be a normal city, but it will just use the single square it's on for it's own use, the rest of the surrounding squares will be managed from the big city and it's resources will gain the big city. So whenever you build a sattellite town you will loose a square and gain maybe 10 new ones, it depends on where you put it.

You can whenever you want change the sattellite city to a normal city (which can be needed if the big city is captured bye enemies). Whenever capturing a sattellite town it's automatically changed to a normal city. This means that the squares no longer is able to manage from the other big city.

What do you think?
    stuff

how about just village, because whatever they called them in different time periods, it is only another name for village.
    I don't have much to say 'cause I won't be here long.

Comment

Ok, the term "village" has my support.

Comment

Ok, we're all agreed now. On to other topics: defence What do you think about viliages not offering the 'in city' defence bonus to units?

Comment

Good point. I believe the unit(s) in a city being attacked should get some form of defensive bonus (in addition to city walls - if the city has them)... after all, the defensive unit(s) know the city in which they are protecting and should get a defensive bonus - even if it's from the use of basic buildings being used as protective barriers.

Comment

I think it somehow should be possible to draw raw conscripted recruits from villages (but not large cities, thatr is also something that has been done since the ancients to the present day), I know that I'm not very convincing, but that is becouse I haven't evolved the idea a lot yet.
            No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

Damn - I thought this was going to be about giant cities in orbit of the Earth! Thanks for ruining my day!
              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
              Drake Tungsten
              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
              Albert Speer

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by monolith94 on 02-15-2001 04:57 PM
                Damn - I thought this was going to be about giant cities in orbit of the Earth! Thanks for ruining my day!

Point taken Monolith94, but didn't we already hash that argument out in an earlier thread (ie, space cities)? However, like you, when I read the title "satellite cities" I too was under the impression of another space city discussion.

Comment

More realistic is that if an enemy captures a satellite town, then they have the choice of making it a temporary military base until they capture the city it belongs in, or just mearly razing it. Because satellite towns are small, and hard to defend fully, they offer no bonus to defence (with the exception of defencive structures inside the city)

But I like this idea because it adds to the idea of dynamic city radius rather than static (though perhaps increasin) radii that have been suggested everywhere else.

Comment

I think a more proper word for a "satelite town" would be a village.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 02-15-2001 12:33 PM
                      I think a more proper word for a "satelite town" would be a village.

Or better yet, a Suburb (a district on or near the outskirts of a city and often a seperately incorporated city or town)

Comment

The word suburb would feel strange in a medeival city.

Comment

Humm, point taken

Comment

It would make the most sence in the mediavel time, peasents paying their tribute to the local lords, the lords paying their tribute to the king. This is actually a very accurate representation of the real world.

Comment

In medieval time peasents lived in villages, all farms where grouped together in those villages, it was not untill the 19th century that farms got spread out (and when those reforms where made there where lots of protests).
                              Therefore I again say: I like the idea but it should be called villages
                              [This message has been edited by Henrik (edited February 15, 2001).]

Comment

Working...
                              X