• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only six posts to go JosefGiven!
    [This message has been edited by Roman (edited February 17, 2001).]
    Rome rules

Comment

Thanks for trying JosefGiven. Unfortunatelly I know forgot which thread STYOM appeared in.
      [This message has been edited by Roman (edited February 17, 2001).]
      Rome rules

Comment

DL stands for Double-Login. Everybody is only allowed one name to log on the forums. If you get caught with more than one, you get to visit Mingapulco!
        I'm consitently stupid- Japher
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Hmm, Chasing Rainbows accused me of having a double log-in when I posted a new thread in the off-topic forum. How comes? For anyone interested, this thread got moved to the Miscellaneous==>Apolyton forum, and it's name is "Smilies 'n' Message Icons - Rumbles of dissent?" Why should I be accused of having a 'DL'?

Yes, I know this is straying into the off-topic realm. For crying out loud, Firaxis, update your site, and give us something meaty to talk about!!
          A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

Because all newbies get accused of being a double log-in. Don't worry, Chasing NimDook is himself a octuple log-in.

And your thread probably got moved because it must have been relevant to how this site operates somehow.

------------------
            "Just got back from the Thought Police Station. It's not as bad as you might assume;
            they spend most of their time thinking about donuts."
            -EnochF
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Theben on 02-18-2001 10:42 PM
              ...And your thread probably got moved because it must have been relevant to how this site operates somehow.
              Ah, thanks for clearing that up, mate. The DL allegation had me worried. BTW, I was aware why the thread was moved...apparently, it was too 'on-topic' to be off-topic.

On another note, I had an idea at work, today, Roman. I notice that this worthy thread has become, shall I say, diluted by irrelevant posts. Most of these have been posted by me!!

So my suggestion is this. Gather all the useful acronyms and compile them into one massive list. Then, re-post the list as another thread (suggest "Acronyms - Revised"). Then, ask Yin if he would be so kind as to 'close' this revised thread so's it remains a 'read-only' archive, and ask Darcloud if he could reference it into his Related Threads post.

Of course, this is only a suggestion, and I know we 'newbies' must know our place (bow, scrape, etc.)

How long is it before I lose this accursed 'newbie' moniker, anyway? It makes me feel...dirty. No matter how hard I scrub the filth won't come off!!
              [This message has been edited by JosefGiven (edited February 19, 2001).]
              A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

quote:

How long is it before I lose this accursed 'newbie' moniker, anyway? It makes me feel...dirty. No matter how hard I scrub the filth won't come off!!

Anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Or until your very first long-winded serious post that gets noticed by more than 3 people. Worked for Ralf & S. Kroenze.

Comment

Sure, if you guys want this thread closed at some point, please let me know. It IS getting a bit off-topic...
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

Games:

Civ - (ha, ha, ha) Civilization
                    Civ 2 - (ha, ha, ha) Civilization 2
                    Civ ToT - Civilization Test of Time
                    Civ FT - Fantastic Worlds
                    MPGE - Civilization II Multiplayer Gold Edition
                    Civ 3 - (ha, ha, ha) Civilization 3

SMAC - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Ctp - Civilization: Call to Power
                    Ctp 2 - Call to Power 2

MOO - Masters of Orion
                    MOO2 – Masters of Orion 2
                    MOO3 – Masters of Orion 3

RRT - RailRoad Tycoon

SBotf - Star Trek Birth of the Federation

AOE - age of empires, designed by Bruce shelly, a civ1 designer, it was supposed to be "Civ in real time" it wasnt, but it was still a good game.
                    ROR - Rise of Rome -expansion pack for AOE
                    AOK - Age of Kings - sequel to AOE, considered by some a major landmar in RTS games.
                    AOK:TC AOK, the conquerors, expansion pack for aok. Supposed to have fixed the notorious "town center push" bug.

EE - Empire earth, being designed by rick goodman, one on the diegners of AOE (damn small world, aint it?) Supposedly will truly be "Civ in real time".

EU - Europa Universalis - out some months in Europe, soon to be published in US, a civ like game, real time pausible, covering period 1492-1789, supposedly much more realistic ( to the point where discussion of it has been kept off of grognard newsgroups only because you can win without going to war)

Strategies/Challenges:

ICS - Infinite City Sleaze/Sprawl/Strategy ... a very effective, but much hated strategy of perpetually founding new cities without regard for city improvements, etc. The root of the problem is that every city has a "free" worker on the city tile, which results in many small cities having a higher output than few large cities.
                    OCC - One City Challenge ... this is an attempt to win the game at Deity level by sending a ship to Alpha Centaury, but never building/conquering/bribing more than one city.

Concepts:

WLTCD - We Love The Consul Day
                    Occurs when more than half the population of a city is happy and there are no unhappy people. Allows one unit per turn growth under Republic and Democracy. There are many variations on this abbreviation depending on the government type (eg. We Love The King Day under Monarchy).
                    SE - Social Engineering
                    PBEM - Play By E-Mail
                    MP - Multiplayer
                    KISS - Keep it Short and Simple / Keep it Simple, Stupid
                    LASS - Land, Air, Sea, and Space
                    CLAS-D - Close, Land, Air, Sea, -Defense
                    SSC - Super-Science City: A city (usually the capital) that when it is complete will contain the Colossus, Copernicus's Observatory, Isaac Newton's College, a library, university, Research Lab (or benefits from S.E.T.I. Project), and 3 great trade routes. Will result in a city that grants your civ most of it's science output. In OCC games the one city is ALWAYS a SSC.

Civilization II Wonders:

MPE should be Marco Polo's Embassy
                    MC also=Michelangelo's Chapel
                    JSB= J.S. Bach's Cathedral
                    KRC= Kind Richard's Crusade
                    HG = Hanging Gardens
                    Mike's = Michaelangelo's Chapel
                    SoL = Statue of Liberty

Non Apolyton specific acronyms:

IMHO: In My Humble Opinion
                    IMO: In My (Certainly not humble) Opinion
                    BTW: By The Way
                    AFAIK - As Far As I Know
                    LOL: laughing out loud
                    LMAO: laughing my a- out
                    ROFL: rolling on the floor, laughing
                    ROFLMAO: rolling on the floor, laughing my a- out
                    etc. - Et Cetera (and so forth)
                    ASAP - as soon as possible
                    DL - Data Link / Data List / Double Login

Other:

OT - Off Topic
                    DL - Double Login

Acronym Finder:

www.Google.com

[This message has been edited by Roman (edited February 20, 2001).]
                    Rome rules

Comment

Yet, another good idea, JosefGiven! I will copy these acronyms into an "Acronyms Final" thread and ask Yin to stick it on top.
                      Rome rules

Comment

Working...
                      X