Acronyms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acronyms

I have read complaints that some people (I am one of them) don't understand the acronyms on this forum.
    Please if you can think of any acronyms used post the explanation here. Do likewise if you have a question about acronyms.
    Rome rules

Here is my 2 cents worth:-

Games:

Civ - (ha, ha, ha) Civilization
    Civ 2 - (ha, ha, ha) Civilization 2
    Civ 3 - (ha, ha, ha) Civilization 3

SMAC - Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

Ctp - Civilization: Call to Power
    Ctp 2 - Call to Power 2

Strategies/Challenges:

ICS - Infinite City Sleaze/Sprawl/Strategy ... a very effective, but much hated strategy of perpetually founding new cities without regard for city improvements, etc. The root of the problem is that every city has a "free" worker on the city tile, which results in many small cities having a higher output than few large cities.
    OCC - One City Challenge ... this is an attempt to win the game at Deity level by sending a ship to Alpha Centaury, but never building/conquering/bribing more than one city.

Forgive me for including shortcuts like Civ 3, but I am trying to be as comprehensive as possible.
    Rome rules

Comment

I have some questions too. What are:

IMHO
      IMO
      Btw

Someone explain please.
      Rome rules

Comment

IMHO: In My Humble Opinion

IMO: In My (Certainly not humble) Opinion

BTW: By The Way

My guesses
        'We note that your primitive civil-^
        ization has not even discovered^
        $RPLC1. Do you care^
        to exchange knowledge with us?'^
        _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
        _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

Lovely, that's cleared a lot of things up!

I had made a point of asking what ICS strategy was, before, and now I know!

All these acronyms are useful if you know what they are, but they are frustrating if you don't. Luckily, I have a GSOH.

------------------
          Josef Given
          josefgiven@hotmail.com
          A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

MOO - Masters of Orion
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Came across another one,

WLTCD - We Love The Consul Day
              Occurs when more than half the population of a city is happy and there are no unhappy people. Allows one unit per turn growth under Republic and Democracy. There are many variations on this abbreviation depending on the government type (eg. We Love The King Day under Monarchy).
              Rome rules

Comment

Some acronyms are used only here at Apolyton, but for more general like IMHO, BTW, ASAP, etc. I suggest you check at dedicated sites: I've found one just in a bunch of second using www.Google.com, but surely you can find a lot more.

Just for example, try using AcronymFinder.

------------------
                Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                - Admiral Naismith

Comment

Great link Adm.! From now on we shall only post apolyton related acronyms here. As for the rest, we can use the acronym finder link you provided.
                  Rome rules

Comment

I thought of one acronym that's used quite frequently in 'The List' of suggestions for Firaxis...

SE = Social Engineering.

To elaborate, this is the concept of fragmented government/economy management as used in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

------------------
                    Josef Given
                    josefgiven@hotmail.com
                    A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

According to the link above:

CTP: Capable To Promise

Comment

What is AFAIK?

Comment

AFAIK - As Far As I Know
                          Rome rules

Comment

You've been misinformed on CTP. Someone provided the appropriate meaning earlier in these forums

Crap To Play

'We note that your primitive civil-^
                            ization has not even discovered^
                            $RPLC1. Do you care^
                            to exchange knowledge with us?'^
                            _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
                            _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

Civ ToT = Civilization Test of Time

If anyone can come up with a suitable comedy take on this acronym, then please do. It needs doing. It is my unhappy conclusion that ToT's graphical make-over (read f**k-over), and the 'Extended Original' scenario included in the game were a total waste of time, and my hard-earned dough. This game skulks forlornly at the back of my collection, and drags it's feet sullenly when spoken to.

Comment

Working...
                              X