No announcement yet.

Opinion on the throne room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I've been talking only about this for ages, and I'll continue to do so, because the original "Sid Meier's CIVILIZATION" means so much to me, both with its game concept and its graphic atmosphere. The point I'm trying to reach, is this: For god's sake, which one looks better: CIV I's full-screen list of "the most X civilization" with a small picture for each civ's PALACE on top of the name, or Civ II's pop-up window? See, the significance of the PALACE! It awakens memories of my going, every friday, to a friend's house to play Civ I back in the days when I didn't have a comp.... oh, this is irrelevant. So, here goes the parrot:

YES to Palace (and other Civ I relics)
    NO to Throne Room
    'We note that your primitive civil-^
    ization has not even discovered^
    $RPLC1. Do you care^
    to exchange knowledge with us?'^
    _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
    _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

Palace. And keep I stats,but make 'em Civ1-style big.
      It hurts to be on the cutting edge!

Comment

quote:

Now, shall I use my money to throne room or improve something other... Interesting idea, since in the beginning of the game it is more important with beatuful places than later. And early money is expensive...

I'd end up spending all my gold on the throne room and letting my civ's society stagnate.

But, like everyone else.....
        Yes to palace
        No to throne room.

------------------
        Author of Diplomod. The mod to fix diplomacy.

Rommell to a sub-commander outside Tobruk: "Those Australians are in there somewhere. But where? Let's advance and wait till they shoot, then shoot back."

Comment

Military Leaders, once they appear, should get a portrait in the Throne Room.

(And of course, being able to custom-tailor the throne room instead of building the same one over and over would be nice. I'd vote for a throne room instead of a palace, but I suppose either one is okay in the end.)
          "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Didn't you all think the second throne was a lot better than the third throne though? I did.

I say yes, have a palace. And have its exuberance add to your score in some respect. (Perhaps morale because your populace is proud of it),and maybe the defense of the city in which it resides?
            HELP ME! FOR I AM A CIV-GENRE ADDICT!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Krippled on 02-11-2001 06:59 PM
              Didn't you all think the second throne was a lot better than the third throne though? I did.

Ah, yes. Much better. In fact would always buils to the 2nd throne asap and then leave it until the very last upgrade possible!

quote:

And have its exuberance add to your score in some respect. (Perhaps morale because your populace is proud of it),and maybe the defense of the city in which it resides?

Here we differ in opinion. The palace is already created by how high your score is. If it added to your score, then it would get bigger, wich would add to your score, and then the palace would grow again, etc., etc.

And if the palace added some defense then it should also be open to destruction which I'd like to avoid.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The palace back in Civ1 was certainly better than anything that came after it, despite the low resolution.

It would be even more rewarding if you got "war-monuments" for conquoring entire nations or other monumnets which appear in front of the palace when acts of wonder are completed.

Maybe some of the lesser Wonders should be relegated to monuments which the player can choose from:
                e.g. select to build one of Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty, Nelson's Column, bronze statue of Lenin outside palace.

This would be good to satisfy those who want things like Nelson's column in the game since they are clearly shouldn't have Wonder status. The palace screen is a "harmless" enough place to have them where they will add flavour.
                Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

I concur completely with TacticalGrace's ideas. The graphic ideas of Civ I MUST come back, and with enhancements, such as the war monuments for the palace, or the replay and the diplomacy screen with improved graphics.
                  'We note that your primitive civil-^
                  ization has not even discovered^
                  $RPLC1. Do you care^
                  to exchange knowledge with us?'^
                  _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
                  _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

I think we should keep the throne room, it's a part of Civ and should stay in.

------------------
                    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow
                    I have walked since the dawn of time and were ever I walk, death is sure to follow. As surely as night follows day.

Comment

Either the throne room or palace is fine with me. Sure, make it customizable so we don't get bored.

I'D REALLY LIKE, however, to see several scenes of your people's daily lives accompanied by brief descriptions of their thougts. (Sort of a "city view" but on a nation-wide level.) Show a picturesque representation of an ancient family at the market. Show a medieval farm with a caption of the farmers' thoughts. Show what the streets, shops and libraries look like in modern times.

Is there construction and growth or stagnation? I envision this will be the equivalent of a King looking out of his castle.

These things can all be represented visually to make the game interesting as well as provide a measuring stick for our successes. Imagine a combination of the throne room and the demographics screen...but more life-like.

It's unlikely that this will be available with Civ III. I thought it would be worth a shot though.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Deathwalker on 02-12-2001 11:15 AM
                        I think we should keep the throne room, it's a part of Civ and should stay in.

actually the throne room was part of civII. The original civ had a palace.

I don't object to the idea of a palace (though I think the actual implementation in civ2 was pants and was one of the first things to get turned off, along with heralds and the dreadful music). I do think that the stuff in your throne room should vary from game to game. So if you circum-navigate the world you get a ornamental globe, if you conquor the indians you get a marble statue of an elephant, etc.
                        Do not be too proud of this technological terror you've constructed...

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Bender on 02-12-2001 04:30 PM
                          I'D REALLY LIKE, however, to see several scenes of your people's daily lives accompanied by brief descriptions of their thougts. (Sort of a "city view" but on a nation-wide level.) Show a picturesque representation of an ancient family at the market. Show a medieval farm with a caption of the farmers' thoughts. Show what the streets, shops and libraries look like in modern times.

Then you want Caesar 3, not Civ3.

I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

It's just a different way of representing the opinions your council spouted in Civ II, with the image changing from age to age rather than the clothes on the actors. The Civ II council was too tongue in cheek for my liking and was the first thing I turned off (I had to buy a new computer before I could turn the heralds on at all)

[This message has been edited by Grumbold (edited February 13, 2001).]
                            To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                            H.Poincaré

Comment

I would like some sort of "ego-screen", prob. the palace over the throne room... but it has to have a number of choices so it isn't so static (and perhaps linked to the architecture type of the civ). The heralds I did like, and think they should stay... The council was funny, but eventually got turned off, and all in all it's really not needed.

Comment

How about have the throne room or palace directly tied to your Civ? Say the palace you are required to place in your capital city is the palace or throne room you get to build. If it's destroyed, then so is your palace and/or throne room and you must rebuild.

It would be interesting if you could also add things to the throne room with your own tax money. Do you get greedy and build a nice throne room or put the money back into your empire?

Comment

Working...
                                X