Opinion on the throne room

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinion on the throne room

Should Civ 3 include a throne room feature that is representative of your accomplishments? I liked Civ 2's throne room screen where my ego was stroked by all the ornaments I've collected over time as a result of the people's adulation. This isn't a critical part of the game, I must admit, but I liked it. Should Civ 3 have some sort of ego screen, where you can build your throne room or palace? Should it be soemthing else entirely?

Definatively have a throne room! I loved it. Also, keep the stats. While meaningless it was good knowing my civ had a 100% literary rate and 3% disease rate. It was also fun having battles with my allies over who had the highest GNP

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Jer8m8 on 02-07-2001 02:49 PM
      ...While meaningless it was good knowing my civ had a 100% literary rate and 3% disease rate...

Didn't the literacy figures directly represent the efficiency of your library/university/sci-lab set-up? Mind you, I haven't a clue how the disease rate was calculated, or what it was supposed to represent.

Anyway, I give the thumbs-up for an 'ego'-screen, as Phaydor so eloquently put it. Bring back the external palace view from Civ I, that's what I say. The thing I didn't like about the throne-room in Civ II, was the 'modern' stage decor. Who wanted to trade their grand throne in for a bloody desk, eh?

------------------
      Josef Given
      josefgiven@hotmail.com
      A fact, spinning alone through infospace. Without help, it could be lost forever, because only THIS can turn it into a News.

Comment

YES to Palace
        NO to Throne Room
        'We note that your primitive civil-^
        ization has not even discovered^
        $RPLC1. Do you care^
        to exchange knowledge with us?'^
        _'No, we do not need $RPLC1.'^
        _'OK, let's exchange knowledge.'

Comment

I preferred the palace because we had the ability to create some really funky looking castles.

Comment

What was interesting about the throne room in Civilization II and the special screen in Call to Power I?

After building those only a few times, I got bored with it - I already knew what all the additions were going to be, and what the final completion looked like.

You build these every game the same way with the same additions for the same completed look. So, NO I do not care for it, but anyways, it should always be left as an OPTION for players.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Have you ever seen the full throne room? i did so yesterday and it was yesterday (i won with a score of 126%! Yay!). it is great!

Comment

Throne room or palace, I don't care which.
                But I want it. It is a fun break in the game to do something nice. I hope CivIII will have something like it.

Comment

This is an absolute must! However, I'd like to combine the two ideas...a Throne Room that you can CUSTOMIZE! Like a really cool Sims pad. Seriously...at certain points in the game, different decor unlocks and is available to you. You mix and match it as you like. Purely aesthetic, of course, but trying to unlock all the best stuff would be really fun. If you wanted to keep the stone throne but toss the palm tree for a lava lamp, do it!

Now wouldn't it be cool if your leadership ability and foreign relations were affected by how well you decorated your throne room? You could put a fish tank in the corner for that scatter-brained ambassador from Chile, a heated throne for those long winters, and later a wide-screen TV for when there's a lull. Just click on the Throne Room and watch it in action! O.K. This part is overboard, but you get the idea. (...though it's a tantalizing idea at any rate...)
                  [This message has been edited by yin26 (edited February 08, 2001).]
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

No! Bring back the palace!! And add more types!
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 02-08-2001 02:32 AM
                      Now wouldn't it be cool if your leadership ability and foreign relations were affected by how well you decorated your throne room? You could put a fish tank in the corner for that scatter-brained ambassador from Chile, a heated throne for those long winters, and later a wide-screen TV for when there's a lull. Just click on the Throne Room and watch it in action! O.K. This part is overboard, but you get the idea. (...though it's a tantalizing idea at any rate...)

Nice idea Yin
                      Let's take it even further.
                      You have to deside how much money you spend on your thrownroom/palace. The more you spend, the faster improwments and functions described by Yin.

Now, shall I use my money to throne room or improve something other... Interesting idea, since in the beginning of the game it is more important with beatuful places than later. And early money is expensive...

Comment

I just have resurrected a thread about throne room.

My opinion probably killed the thread because it was the last: I hope it doesn't kill this too!

For lazy people, my opinion was (and still is):

quote:

Someone think that the Palace/Throne room is something to show your achievement with nice graphics (figures and bar graphs are not appealing the same way, I agree).

Someone think it should be something you actually "build or pay", others that simply a display of values.

I'll vote for a long list of age-related improvement, from gardens to castle, from statue to paintings, from city renamed to your leader name to special buildings (highest tower of the world, longest bridge, new modern hospital or university, etc.).

You can see it as lot of icons (easy to cusomize) in a interactive part of civilopedia that show them as they progress.

It will be a "book of your leader name here dinasty" or "book of your civilization here
                        civilization".

If you prefer, they can appear on city screen instead, as special buildings (not easy to take a whole look at, but more nice to see them properly fit).

If you think that anything in Civ III must be game related or it will be useless, promote these little gems to the role of small (free - they are gift from your population) local wonders, or special buildings.

They will appear on one of your cities randomly (when the related pre-requisite is meet, think also to scenario triggers) or where more appropriate.

Showed on the book or on the map, they should add a small local effect on happiness or production, money, research, health: just pick one.

You will love that small gift as you should

Just edited to underline that Yin's idea of customizability can apply here too.
                        Customize (or download free from Firaxis site) new set of liked "gifts" and related effects: sculpture like Mr Rushmore, dedicated Aircraft Carrier like Ronald Regan USS; possibility are endless.

------------------
                        Admiral Naismith AKA mcostant
                        [This message has been edited by Adm.Naismith (edited February 08, 2001).]
                        "We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
                        - Admiral Naismith

Comment

The key is in customisation so that the Ego screen is as replayable as the game. CtP and Civ2 gave you very little choice of what to build and ultimately a 'completed' view would be identical at the end of every game. While I had my favourites and the options were very limited, I finished Civ with many different combination of architectural designs for my Palace.

A screen which yould be adapted depending on which wonders you build, governments you become and key sciences you discover first would be excellent. Unless the game is so easy you get to beat everyone to everything then it simply must be different, at least in a few details, from game to game.
                          To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                          H.Poincaré

Comment

What about a palace, where we could zoom into the throne room??? That could be cool!!
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

We need a Palace with more culture types. I want my Aztec/English/Russian/Roman palace!!
                              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Working...
                              X