The Big,Big,Big List of Wonders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:

Originally posted by orange on 12-17-2000 11:54 AMFord Motor Co.? How is that a wonder? it's a friggin' company!

Ford was the first entrepreneur, factory owner to apply (somewhere in the 1920's) at large scale the idea's of Taylor, a scientist who developed a method for the analysis and synthesis of workprocesses. Ford developed the conveyor belt or assembly line. That's why Ford, and actually before him Taylor are so really very !!!! important. Ford motorcars became, because of these new productionmethods, so cheap that every American could dream/afford to have his/her own car. At the sametime Ford could pay his workers far better wages than any other factory owner could.
    It's a major contribution to the American dream.
    This is also why In CIV-II the mfg-plant can be build after having discovered the automobile. Though I think in CIV-III it should come with Taylorism, because it were Taylors ideas that had such a profound impact on productionmethods which lead to the material wealth we now know (in the western world).
    [This message has been edited by Vrank Prins (edited December 19, 2000).]

Comment

You people are all nuts.

"Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

I agree! They see wonders everywhere!!!

Comment

Ok, I might have missed them in the previous lists, but I have a question - where are wonders for African civilizations south of the Sahara, for Arabians, for Turks, and for Chinese other than the one or two listed for Chinese? And what about Native American tribes besides Cambodia or the Aztec? (yes, someone did mention the Snake Mounds of the Mississippi River valley)

Let me know if I overlooked them and that some are already suggested.
          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

No it's not - that is what you call a typing error - I meant to say "what about Native American or SE Asian tribes . . .?"

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MrFun on 02-06-2001 09:49 AM
              Ok, I might have missed them in t
              he previous lists, but I have a question - where are wonders for African civilizations south of the Sahara, for Arabians, for Turks, and for Chinese other than the one or two listed for Chinese? And what about Native American tribes besides Cambodia or the Aztec? (yes, someone did mention the Snake Mounds of the Mississippi River valley)

These I have suggested before:
              African: Kruger National Park (instead of Yellowstone)
              Chinese: Grand Canal
              (partly) Arab: the OPEC

Here are some new suggestions:
              Turkish: Topkapi Palace
              Native American: Terraces at Bacavi (Hopi)

------------------
              If you have no feet, don't walk on fire
              A horse! A horse! Mingapulco for a horse! Someone must give chase to Brave Sir Robin and get those missing flags ...
              Project Lead of Might and Magic Tribute

Comment

Cambodia is a native American tribe?!?!
                Lime roots and treachery!
                "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

ok, cool

Comment

although I hate to add something that appeared in CTP... The Human Genome Project should be a wonder. It could work like the Manhatten Project, preventing use of special improvements/units/wonders related to genetics (i.e., cloning/cure for cancer/"homo-superior" Infantry) until it was built.

As for mini-wonders, that is a good idea if they are tempoary like the "feats of wonders" in CTP2.

I also think that the effects of wonders in general should be reduced, especially if there are to be more of them in the game... additionaly I really dislike wonders that "count as a [city improvement] in all cities". Each wonder should have a unique (but small) advantage... and your citizens should celebrate on the turn it's completed.

Comment

Been awhile since I've been here, but have an idea that, while not a genuine wonder, has done more for modern society than many of the other suggestions in here. And that would be...
                      THE STANDARDIZATION MOVEMENT.
                      While you don't build daylight savings time or time zones, regions and nations did make a conscious decision to stop marching to the beat of a different drummer (there were 70 American time zones in 1860) and set their clocks with the neighbors 20 miles down the road. And by doing so, they paved the way for industrial stength and all the goodies that came with it. Standardized time brought with it timeclocks in factories, punctual meetings and the saying "time is money."
                      In the U.S., the standardization movement essentially began in Pittsburgh, when an astronomer (Sam Langley who went on to fame with the Smithsonian) with Allegheny Observatory convinced Western Union to link the observatory with Pittsburgh so he could wire time (that's it -- just the time) to Pennsylvania Railroad for $1,000 a year (this was in the 1870s, I believe). The railroads were responsible for the standardization movement and in the game railroads would be required for a society to pursue standardization. Once it's achieved, production across the land would increase greatly.
                      I'm not sure if this should be a wonder or merely a consequence of a fully established railroad system. If only a byproduct of rail, the game should be designed so that production in a nation is increased when, say, 80 percent (of course this number is negotiable) of the cities are linked via rail. If not a wonder but a consequence, this benefit would be avaiable to any nation that reaches the standardized-time threshhold of railroad developmment.

Comment

Working...
                      X