No announcement yet.

Borders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, having disputed territories would put a neat twist to the game.

Comment

I strongly urge that borders should be placed at the edges of each Civ.

(I just wanted to say something everyone could agree with)

Blockade is an act of war yes? Nations at war haven't had alot of respect for borders in my experience. So forget blockade as a problem.

The idea of borders, far out to sea, particularly in ancient times and right up to the advent of flight is kind of difficult to accept. How would you know that someone had crossed your sea border? The ocean is a huge place, the horizon is just 3 miles out.

Until flight ocean borders are impossible. Until radar they would be difficult and costly to monitor.

My suggestion is to have as a border the square the coastline is in until flight, which would extend it, but even after flight ships crossing the border would only rarely be detected. When radar comes along, it should be possible to build a radar station on the coast, and everything in range is detected. When satalites come along, everything is detected.

Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Firaxis already said that borders will be included in Civ 3, but that they will be even more realistic than in SMAC. I wonder what that could mean.
        Rome rules

Comment

it would be cool if you negotiate with other countries or if there are intertanional contract about territories like in the past centuries, for example the one that discovers where a river borns is the owner of the river´s territory,like the Missisipi and the french
          that would it be really complicated but really cool also
          Second President of Apolytonia, and Vice-President twice
          Shemir Naldayev, 1st Ukrainian front comander at the Red front democracy gamePresidente de la Republica de España in the Civil War Demogame
          miguelsana@mixmail.com

Comment

Ok borders.

Yes trhere should be borders and in watwer. Need to alter the different kinds of "relations" in SMAC so that you can prevent your ally etc. from building in, or near your zone and taking parts of your borders. That gives me the ...annoyances when that happens. It's my territory and I want it to count as mine!

Furthermore, it should be possible to buy at an expensive price a tile of land from your opponent - say for example to make a border straight if u so desired...
            HELP ME! FOR I AM A CIV-GENRE ADDICT!

Comment

Another thing about borders. All people who you are not at war with should be able to negotiate a "pass" through your territory (perhaps with a financial incentive?). Ie.Player A requests Player B allow unit A through B's territory. This fully discloses unit makeup and desired location. Once unit A has entered or is about-to enter B territory, the computer takes over and sets the path for that travel, once there control is returned to player A.

Comment

Computer control? No way. If you can't trust 'em, don't let 'em in.
                (\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

International waters start relatively close to land. I don't think that having borders extend too far into seas is very realistic. Besides, in pre-modern times, how would anyone be able to enforce deep sea borders anyhow?

Comment

i agree with most stuff here but, i have one thing i'd like to add. if you start the game surrounded you don't have much of a chance if you're playing with good players. maybe borders should be taken less serious during the begginging of the game? it's also kinda realistic to some degree, but what do you guys think?

------------------
                    -Peter "pg" Groen
                    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Good point, Lancer. Sea borders are really only applicable after technology allows them to be enforced. Not sure where that leaves us with coastal cities improving sea tiles, though. I guess they would have to stick purely with building city improvements to reflect a fishing fleet rather than putting down PW nets like CtP. That is more aesthetically appealing to me anyway.

Allowing people through your territory: I'd never trust the AI to do it properly, the AI should never trust me to do it for them. The only way I see it working is if the units are allowed to teleport and reappear on another border of yours a turn or more later (depending on distance and transport links.)
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

In reallity there are many cases where armies have been allowed to move trough others territory even though they where at peace (for example in 1655 when Sweden had Brandenburgs permission to move thier forces through Brandenburg territory to invade the Polish/Lituan Comonwealth).
                        No Fighting here, this is the war room!

Comment

I like the idea of moving through territories... That way you can explore, colonise areas that have not yet been done, but you are separated. And it means that if your at war with someone, you don't have to be at war/ally with people in your road... otherwise you always must move linearly...

I like the teleport after move rules...

Comment

Working...
                          X