Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Multiplayer Civ3: How important is it to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I can't commit to lengths of time necessary for online gaming, multiplayer is not that important to me.

That said, a game these days has to appeal to a wide audience and for a game like this, multiplayer is a necessary component. So I have to support it as I want to see the game done.

------------------
    "Treat each day as if it were your last. Eventually, you'll be right."
    Rule 37: "There is no 'overkill'. There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload'."
    http://www.schlockmercenary.com/ 23 Feb 2004

Comment

I don't care about multiplayer one way or the other.
      "Harel didn't replay. He just stood there, with his friend, transfixed by the brown balls."

Comment

Multiplayer is a must! I play CTP by pbem, and despite taking up to a couple of years to complete, it is infinitely better than playing the AI, which never competes with humans except by being programmed to cheat. Even with a good AI (is that possible?), it's much more fun knowing that somewhere else in the world someone is cursing you for conquering a city, rather than knowing that you're beating a machine than wouldn't even care if it was aware of what was happening. Also, the time it takes to complete a pbem game results in a strange sense of ownership and responsibility for your civ, which can't be explained to anyone who hasn't played a single game for that long. Maybe i'm just a bit weird

Hotseat is also good, but games tend to never finish as, as soon as someone starts to lose they usually quit in disgust!

However, the prospect of playing Civ3 by pbem has me positively salivating at the thought The idea that we will have far more strategic paths and far less bugs than CTP makes it even more appealing, and a much improved AI only barely reduces this.

[This message has been edited by Lung (edited February 01, 2001).]

Comment

Yes, I guess there's no way to play anything close to a full game of civ in a couple of hours. So I hope the MP component is thoroughly designed and tested to make continuing games a breeze.

For example, the PBEM stuff should zip itself and be automatically routed to the next player. That sort of thing.
          I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by yin26 on 02-01-2001 07:19 PM
            For example, the PBEM stuff should zip itself and be automatically routed to the next player. That sort of thing.

That is a fantastic suggestion, Firaxis better take notice.

I really think the best way to do multiplayer are some good MP maps that are small and deal with a complex issue in a hour or two. It will make the player think grow and develope but not take all day. I honestly believe it is the best solution to MP TBS.
            About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by EnochF on 02-01-2001 06:52 PM
              I don't care about multiplayer one way or the other.

[EDIT by Yin. AH has been asked to take his meds.]

------------------
              Chaos, panic and disorder - My work here is done.
              [This message has been edited by yin26 (edited February 02, 2001).]

Comment

DanS found this most amazing thing from Trademark Applications and Registration Retreival (TARR) that has to do with Firaxis. Take a look.

DanS original message.

TARR Latest Info for Firaxis
                About 24,000 people die every day from hunger or hunger-related causes. With a simple click daily at the Hunger Site you can provide food for those who need it.

Comment

Interesting indeed. But this could also be Sid's "secret project." Hmmm.
                  I've been on these boards for a long time and I still don't know what to think when it comes to you -- FrantzX, December 21, 2001

Comment

[Rightfully referring to the quote I (Yin) edited out above, of course.]

Was that called for? One thing I like(d) about Apolyton is that I can make a comment and not have someone flame me even if my opinion isn't profound or especially helpful. Since this thread was started to get people's opinions about multiplayer I don't see why his opinion should be attacked since it was about multiplayer. Saying multiplayer isn't important to him is a valid response to the original question. Your smilie indicates you're joking but frankly your comment wasn't too funny; only offensive.

[This message has been edited by yin26 (edited February 02, 2001).]
                    Formerly known as Masuro.
                    The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Yes, AH, he's right. I am trying to get opinions on both sides. Just so people know, AH normally takes his medication. *slap* Now on with the discussion.

Comment

Long time Civ player....never played Multiplayer.

I still break out Civ2, CtP (very rarely), and SMACX for my CivFix.

I know that alot of people look for MP first before anything else....I personally don't.

Make sure the single player component gets all the attention it needs, please.

Taliseian

Comment

Working...
                        X