No announcement yet.

Diplomacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

P.S. I have no idea what was the last country that actually went to war by issuing a declaration. Such political nicities seem to be passe'.
    Last one I can remember was December 8, 1941.

OOPS. There was also one on September 12, 2001
    * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
    * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
    * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
    * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

hey there is a french dude... wassup dav!
      Without music life would be a mistake - Nietzsche
      So you think you can tell heaven from hell?
      rocking on everest

Comment

Originally posted by Mad Bomber

Last one I can remember was December 8, 1941.

OOPS. There was also one on September 12, 2001
        "War is God's way of teaching American's geography".
        So said Ambrose Bierce.
        Unfortunately, even HE has not found a way to teach them history.
        The last time the United States officially declared war on anybody was June 5th, 1942. War was declared on Bulgaria, Hungary and Rumania. Apparently this was so embarrassing that it was not used again. Most subsequent military actions by US armed forces are officially recognized as "congressionally authorized military actions", but some don't even come up to that level of legality.
        The last time I can remember anyone "officially" delcaring war was the Soviet Union's belated declaration against Japan in August 1945.

Comment

Dakooch-

My apologies, I had misread your post. I did know that the USSR had declared war in 1945. I was just replying with little sleep and no coffee

In retrosect, I should have known that Bush wouldn't have had the balls for an official declaration.
          * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
          * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
          * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
          * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

"Norway had somehow managed to survive the invasion, perhaps they might have taken some serious action against Sweden."

Doubtful to say the least. Norway's 4 million against Sweden's 8 million on a front some 800 km long would not have been very interesting. I also think the whole purpose of neutrality is so that doesn't happen. The Swedes and Norweigans are almost the same people, so much that a Swede and a Norweigan can communicate using their native tongue. Happily, during WWII, Norway did take out a large portion of the german navy, and the Danes just sucked.
            I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Originally posted by bobbo008

Doubtful to say the least. Norway's 4 million against Sweden's 8 million on a front some 800 km long would not have been very interesting. I also think the whole purpose of neutrality is so that doesn't happen. The Swedes and Norweigans are almost the same people, so much that a Swede and a Norweigan can communicate using their native tongue. Happily, during WWII, Norway did take out a large portion of the german navy, and the Danes just sucked.
              "You can always tell a Norwegian (Swede, Dane), you just can't tell them much."
              - Dag Hammerskold

The "serious" action I was speaking of need not be military. I should think a Norwegian boycott of exports of salt cod to Sweden would have brought them to their knees in a matter of weeks.

Comment

SALT COD??? This was allowing right of passage not pushing their country into the ocean you heartless war mongar.
                I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Working...
                X